Status: While writing my other Sherlock story, I thought this would be fun. Heaven forbid I work on one project at a time. ENJOY AND COMMENT!

Starcrossed

Bitter Sweet

When she opened her eyes, he was the first thing she saw. Somehow her head had stayed on his arm all night- the best pillow she had ever slept on. He wasn't an angel because she had felt his flesh and bone last night. She had run her hands delicately over his bare chest. Her lips had left trails of kisses everywhere above his waist. Makenzie was even sure that their thoughts had been shared at some point in the middle of their angsty make out session. Now there he lay beside her, their chests pressed together in the dark room as last night's fire laid in a pile of half burning embers. It was almost gone, just like her holiday in London. All they had was the next twenty hours or so.

"Wake up," she whispered as her fingers moved his dark curls from his forehead.

He was absolutely stunning. Ben's face was peaceful and looked almost happy even in his sleep. Without permission she grabbed her phone, found the camera app, posed as if she was sleeping, then snapped a photo of them together. No one would ever see this but her yet there was a certain thrill that came with having it. It would be her secret.

"Ben," she whispered in his ear. A low sound rumbled from him ever so briefly. "Wake up, handsome." Makenzie kissed his cheek. Then his forehead. Her lips brushed his eyes before a sleepy smile crossed his face. Growing a bit more brave, she moved down to his neck the way he seemed to like just a few hours ago. "Get up for me," she nearly sang.

"Oh, I'm up," he teased- not the sort of up she was talking about.

His eyes opened just in time to see her blush and turn painfully bashful. The wonderful sound of her little sighs of mirth filled his ears just after he pulled her down to his chest.

"Morning," he yawned.

"Hello."

"What time is it?"

"Half past five," she answered.

"Why so early?" he whined. The alarm wouldn't go off for another thirty minutes. What was she thinking?

"I told you last night." She teasingly kissed his chest, massaging his shoulders as she nipped at his skin. Her eyes glanced up to find him already melting into the duvet with eyes closed in concentration. "I was serious about those morning kisses."

"Continue that and you'll get more than a good morning kiss," he smirked stretching under her touch. "Come here," he whispered.

Kenzie obeyed only to be rolled onto her back. The moment Ben started kissing her, she had to remind herself of the limits she had put on their physical endeavors. Oh how she loved his kissing, the perfect combination of experienced yet gentle. Both had already learned what the other liked, making the game so much more dangerous. Each pump of their hips and sigh of pleasure only took them further. Before long, his hands had started to wander beneath the material of his shirt, the one slightly stretched around her warm body. Things were just getting steamy when his mobile alarm startled them both into blissful laughter.

"No," she groaned in a half giggle. "Too soon."

"Agreed," he sighed. He wanted to stay right there with her all day long. Work could wait for the moment. "We could hit the snooze a few times."

"I need to get back," she frowned with still smiling eyes. "Don't want to be in a missing person add the day before we leave."

Instead of letting her conclude her speech about leaving, Ben wrapped her into his arms and pulled her into a few more tender kisses. He traced her jaw line, ran his finger from her forehead down her nose, fluttered over her lips, then was surprised when she kissed his fingertips in return. His heart hadn't skipped like that in quite some time. It was the little things she did. He wanted to wake up every morning just like this.

"Oh, my Makenzie," he sighed.

"We need to get up and get you checked out of here."

"You aren't going to spend tonight with me?" he asked in a new worried tone, knotting his fingers in hers.

"Haven't decided yet. We'd have to get up even earlier tomorrow. The group leaves for Heathrow about seven. Besides, you need your rest tonight. You'll be tired all day as it is."

"I'll go another day being tired if it means getting more time with you." At the sight of her little shy grin, he couldn't help kissing her once more. "We could snog at Mark's place," he chuckled against her lips. Their eyes met in that intense way from last night. "Please?"

"We'll see," Kenzie giggled before kissing his nose. "It's going to be a definite 'no' if you don't get me back before everyone wakes up.

"Fine," Ben finally gave into her unappreciated logic. "You're too mature." He was finally sitting up and running his hands through those curls.

He was a sight she wouldn't mind seeing every few days in various parts of the world. But that wasn't real life. That was the most difficult phrase to force upon herself. Being with him was fun and exciting now but in just a few hours their memories would amount to nothing more than a dream. Unless-

"I'm going to make up some tea." Kenzie made herself leave their little pile of duvet, sheets, and pillows.

"I'm going to take a quick shower," he sighed, wanting so much more time than fate allowed.

They parted to do their own things. Seconds after finding their own solitude, their thoughts took unusual paths. Ben's top priority became convincing this angel to be so much more than his 'special mate'. Makenzie, on the other hand, was ardently giving herself every reason why they wouldn't work- couldn't her head and heart agree just this once? As he showered and she made the tea, nothing else seemed to matter. Yet there was something so dangerous about the next several hours.

Benedict came out of the shower, got dressed in his bedroom, then walked down the small hallway in search of his precious girl. Two steaming cuppas were waiting on the kitchenette bar unattended. Suddenly a bit anxious for her safety, he glanced towards the sofa. There she sat, her back towards him facing the pile of ashes in the fireplace. He glanced at the clock- there was still time to spare.

As quietly as possible, he walked over to the sofa. She was sitting with her arms crossed, face emotionless, and lost in thought. He didn't have to ask what about. The pull he felt towards her had only grown stronger since the late hours of the previous night. Gently, he put both hands on her knees then knelt before her. She was jolted from her thoughts and stared into his eyes, so full of hope and tenderness. Before Kenzie could tell herself not to, her hands caressed his cheeks then rested on his shoulders.

"This isn't the end, you know." His morning bass had returned to its rich baritone. Her face was softer now but still so unsure. "I promise."

"Promise not to make any promises," she whispered as teasing and optimistically as possible. But he noticed her melancholy tone despite the way she fought to keep brave.

They were now standing a block away from the hotel. The foggy London streets were just coming alive. His cab had already taken off, leaving the two of them looking like two lovers. Ben's hands were adoringly at her neck as her own small hands folded around his forearm. Was this the good-bye before the last one? Or would something happen between now and then to make this the last?

"You need to go," she whispered. Though she was urging him to go, she wanted precisely the opposite. She wanted to stay right there in his arms on that very street corner forever.

"I know." His hands moved to cup her face. She was absolutely beautiful in morning light- but he liked her by firelight more. A deep sigh came from him as his thumbs began their small circles against her skin. "I'm going to see you tonight, Makenzie Daniels." It was a statement, not a question.

"Fine," the brave girl tried to smile. Would it be easier just to say goodbye now? "I have to go."

"Alright. Text me later?"

"You text me, Mr. Holmes," she teased with a mixture of emotions in those eyes.

Benedict kissed her suddenly, making her gasp a bit. They held onto one another as the rest of the London and their worries faded around them. This moment was just about them. His kiss was promising while hers felt more like an apology than a farewell. When their lips parted they granted themselves one last deep stare.

"Have a good day on set," she for lack of anything else to say. Her blush only made him want to kiss her again. But she was already walking away. The feisty thing looked over her shoulder just once to find him still watching her with a dopey grin on his face. "See you tonight," she called out just before she was too far for him to hear her.

---

"Morning," Sophie giggled the moment she set eyes on Makenzie. She took a good hard look at her best friend before a hushed scream. "You kissed! I can see it all over your face." Makenzie's face turned red then she plopped on top of her bed. "Makenzie!" Sophie ran to the other bed, kneeling beside it in shock. "I can't believe it. Well, actually I can because the two of you are perfect but- bloody hell!"

"Shh!" Makenzie scolded with a giggle. "Yes. It was so romantic, Soph. He made a bed in front of the fire and we slept there. Yes, just sleeping. But heavens can the man kiss!" She fell quiet for several thoughtful seconds. "It felt so right yet-"

"Don't do this to yourself. You want to be with the man, be with the man. Maybe it's supposed to be."

"I think we both know it's not. There's more than one large reason it wouldn't work. I don't need to remind you," Kenzie sighed, still at war with herself.

"How are you feeling?"

"Fine. Just still haven't talked myself into this being real. I keep expecting to wake up, you know?"

"Well, I've missed you. And today is going to be fantastic!"

They had been everywhere in London they had planned to go. Everything had gone so well. The girls did a bit of shopping, ate foods not offered back home, and had their share of laughs. The only complaint either had was from Sophie.

"On that bloody mobile again. I thought he was filming today. Celebrities should be too busy to text when filming," the blonde scoffed.

"Oh, don't be like that, Sophie darling," Kenzi laughed.

"And just why not?"

"I have a surprise for you."

"Better be a bloody good one."

Makenzie linked with her aggravated friend's arm with another mysterious giggle, "I promise."

The leader hailed a cab. As soon as the girls were in the backseat, Makenzie reached into her pocket producing a note for the driver. Sophie couldn't get a good look but saw something scribbled in her best friend's handwriting. From her other pocket, Kenzie pulled out a small neck scarf.

"What the-"

"I'm blindfolding you. Don't want you to figure it out."

"You know I hate this sort of thing! I'll keep them closed."

"Liar." The knot was tied despite Sophie's pleas. "Besides, we're only a few minutes away."

"I don't even know where we are in the city."

"I know. And that makes it all the more beautiful."

"Not sure if I like you at the moment."

A few minutes and unanswered questions later, the cab stopped. Makenzie paid, thanked their driver, then helped an almost fuming Sophie out of the cab. The blonde rambled a few curses and rude phrases before Makenzie nicked the blindfold in one swift movement.

"And if you think-" Sophie fell silent as her eyes grew wide with realization. Quickly, she glanced over to her friend in shock. "Setlock? You brought me to setlock?!"

"After all you've done for me all week, it was the very least-and most-I could think to do for you."

Sophie squeezed her best friend around the neck practically turning them both in several circles.

"But how are we going to get there? Security looks a bit tight."

They were standing near the place Makenzie had met Mark a few days ago, down the street from the chaotic fangirl crowd.

"Just follow me, stay close, and keep silent until we're there," Makenzie smirked, ever the fearless leader.

---

"It's Moffat!" Sophie giggled in a whisper. She shook her fist at him from a distance. Steven glanced over at her just in time to see the last few shakes of her first. The writer simply smiled at her in delight then continued on his way. "Oh my-" she laughed into Makenzie's shoulder completely red faced.

The ant farm was very much alive today with cameras, equipment, and actors walking all around the tiny space. Sophie had already met Martin, Louise, Mark, and a few others- all of whom had been ecstatic to see the friendly brunette again. Someone came by asking if they wanted another cuppa, a question to which they both nodded in reply.

"Makenzie!" a distinct voice called out above the others.

Ben ran over to them beaming at the sight of his favorite fan. He immediately pulled Kenzie to his chest, her feet dangling a bit, then spun her around with a chuckle.

"Today has been fantastic! Absolutely brilliant. Wish you would have been here earlier," he rattled on like a child telling a story. Sherlock put her back onto her feet then grinned at the sidekick. "And , a pleasure to see you again," he smiled, kissing her hand.

"You did really great today. I knew you were talented but, blimey!"

The three shared a laugh before Ben was needed elsewhere. Makenzie and Sophie were on set until the filming was over. Ben and Martin took them to a little sandwich shop they would be safe in then told the girls about the jokes and wonders of the day- without giving any of the plot away, of course. Martin found Sophie quite hysterical and entertaining but no one knew if he was being serious or crudely sarcastic. Their chat and meals didn't last long enough. It was clear that the evening was coming to an end.

"Come to the loo with me?" Sophie whispered with a bit of mischief in her eyes.

"He's already falling for you, Kenz," the blonde gasped the moment the ladies' door was closed.

"I know." It wasn't said in the happy tone Sophie had expected. Makenzie almost seemed bothered by the knowledge.

"If he fell in love with you maybe he could-"

"No! I won't have any kind of that talk. Do you understand?"

"But if he's so willing to take a chance on you-"

"A chance? That's all I have anyways."

"We aren't talking about the same chance are we?" Sophie was now the one looking rather sick. "You're going to deny yourself this one in a million shot because-"

"Yes. It's the only way. Now let's go, their waiting for us." Makenzie started to open the door but it was pushed closed by her determined sister of a friend.

"Don't do this to yourself, Makenzie. Please. I'm begging you. Give yourself this one. You're the best bravest person I know and you always have been. If it hadn't been for you, I would have probably ran away from home a long time ago. You take care of everyone else and I can't help but think that this, Benedict, is somehow part of your reward."

"If you love me, don't push the issue," Kenzie whispered with teary eyes. "It's already difficult enough," she hissed opening the door for a second time, earning her exit from a dangerous stare.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey readers! First of all, I love you. Seriously. Thank you so much for still reading my silly little story. For all my commenters, you all crack me up and make me giggle ridiculously. Sorry this chapter is a bit late. It was round one of exams and they were a bit more difficult than expected taking more time than anticipated. For that, I'm trying to finish another chapter to post in another hour or two. Please review and enjoy the next few emotional rollercoasters. =) Cheers!