Status: While writing my other Sherlock story, I thought this would be fun. Heaven forbid I work on one project at a time. ENJOY AND COMMENT!

Starcrossed

Hello

The moment they were released to wander around London as they pleased, Makenzie took out a handwritten list- the duo's itinerary for the day. They didn't have enough time to spend very long in one place but their route had been preplanned and both were ready to explore.
From their hotel, they walked the short distance to Hyde Park and found the Peter Pan statue they both wanted to find. They hopped onto the tube and exited Westminster station. Big Ben was a spectacular sight in person, not the view they had seen their whole lives on the telly. They arrived just in time for a tour around Westminster Abbey and took in the breathtaking architecture and history. For lunch, they went to St. Stephen's Tavern across from the giant clock tower and next to the Thames River. The two marveled at St. Paul's Cathedral and spent almost an hour walking around the area allowed to the general public. Next they found Trafalgar Square, taking many tourist photos along the way. Being the English majors they were, they spent almost two hours at the British Library; both left completely stunned. Just for fun, the two went in search of Platform 9 3/4. It would be getting dark soon so the two walked through Camden Market, not buying anything because the rest of the group would be coming here in a few days.
"What's next on your magical list of things to do?" Sophie beamed with pure excitement.
"What? You weren't satisfied with the library or Big Ben?"
"Never!" the friend laughed with animation.
Makenzie's eye lit up as they found the next destination. The corners of her mouth formed a crooked smirk. Sophie noticed the swift change of her friend's entire demeanor. No one could make anything as interesting as Makenzie- when she wanted to, of course.
"Soph, does North Gower Street mean anything to you?"
There was a thoughtful pause before the sometimes oblivious blonde replied a drawn-out confused, "Noooo. Should it?"
"I guess not. But I've waited two years to go there." Now she was just being plain cheeky.
"Why? What’s on Gower Street?"
"Our favorite version of 221B Baker Street," the clever on announced with pride as Sophie's pondering expression suddenly lit up.
"Really? Are you sure?"
"Of course I'm sure. Looked it up last week. It'll be our last stop before the night- if that's alright with you."
"Yes, I'm happily exhausted!"
"Me too. The door is only two miles away from our hotel. I wanted to start my book from earlier before bed."
"Good idea. And a nice hot shower wouldn't hurt either!"
The two took the tube, got off on Warren Street station, and followed the map on Makenzie's iPhone until they realized precisely where they stood. They silently looked down the street in search of their holy ground until they caught sight of Speedy's red overhang. Both released breaths they hadn't noticed they were holding in.
"There it is! You did it!" Sophie squealed while tightly hugging her friend's neck.
"Don't muck about. Come on!"
They ran towards the familiar, and very surreal, scene. The 187 door had been replaced with the 221 B door for filming that was supposed to begin next week. While Sophie dug into her purse for her camera phone, Makenzie simply stared in awe. Greatness had happened beyond that very door. Great minds had put the detailed set together, great imaginations had given magic to this piece of London property, and great actors had stood in these very spots- her thoughts focusing on a certain handsome actor.
"Take my photo!" Sophie giggled, now in full fangirl mode. Makenzie couldn't help a soft chuckle when taking the phone. "Get a good one! It's going on my night stand at home."
"Alright. Say 'Sherlock'!"
"Sherloooock!" The flash assured both that the photo had been taken. "Let me see it!" They both stared at the screen like two school girls with crushes, Sophie more than Makenzie. "Alright, then. Your turn, Kenzi! Go stand by the door!"
As the giddy brunette walked towards the famous door, her heart began to speed. This might as well be the eighth wonder of the world, she silently joked with herself. One moment, all was silent except the loud pulsing noise in her ear. The next, Sophie began humming the familiar theme from the show- "The Game is On".
"Smile!"
The photo was taken then a sentimental Makenzie jumped off the single step as she had dreamt of doing if ever given the chance to do so. A smile played on her lips as she smoothly landed onto the leveled square gray stones of Gower Street's sidewalk. Sophie took a few more photos as Makenzie simply took in every detail of the sight. It was remarkable. She had never been one to watch telly but this show was dear to her heart.
"Incredible," Sophie sighed, her childish amazement rubbing off on her hard to impress best friend.
"It is, isn't it?" They stared for another several seconds before she took a deep breath. "Do we have all the proof we need?" It was asked in the dark sharp tone Sherlock would have used.
"You mean evidence?" Soph played along as Watson. "Yeah. Once these are posted no one will be able to deny that we were here."
Makenzie let out one last sigh of contentment before turning towards the main street, Sophie following her lead. Daylight was fading quickly now. The once sunny city was filling with shadows, sunlight being blocked by tall buildings and alleyways. Most of the city was busy at work today but the night was already bringing more people to the streets.
"We actually found it! You are bloody brilliant!" The bubbly blonde's shoulder bumped against her best friend as they began a new round of giggles. An item of their bucket lists had just been crossed off.
"I know, I know," the leader playfully announced in a boastful manner.
She saw someone approaching them but Sophie diverted her. They began looking through the many photos they had just taken, completely ignorant of what was going on around them. Sophie's picture was cute while Makenzie's appeared more professional- if only she had thought ahead to bring a blue scarf for the picture. As prepared as she usually was, she couldn't understand how the idea had never crossed her mind. That would have been such a wonderful phot-
Her body collided with the stranger she had just noticed just moments ago. The sudden contact almost knocked the wind out of her but she instantly felt awful for being so clumsy.
She looked up while quickly apologizing, "I'm terribly sorry, sir. I-"
The moment her eyes found his she knew who he was. She would know those light green and blue mixed eyes anywhere. His hat covered his dark Sherlock curls but a few sprung up from beneath his hat. The trademark sharp facial features were even more mesmerizing in person, though his skin appeared more-what was a good word?-normal without the usual layers of make-up. And the heart shaped lips that had made her blush a few times before, usually during interviews and certain photos, were even more perfect in the London twilight. It had only been a few moments since she had bumped into him, three at the most, but she knew without a doubt that it was him.
He was pulling out his iPod ear buds as she tried to think of what to say. Keeping the shocked smirk off her face was more difficult than she had ever imagined in a situation like this. Then again, she had never really planned on being in this sort of situation. Makenzie Daniels didn't believe a perfect stranger could make time stop, celebrity or otherwise. Not until that moment. It was also that moment that a worried look began to fill his handsome pale face.
"It's you! You're-"
"Shut up, Sophie, you bloody thick thing! He's trying to be inconspicuous," she quietly hissed to her sometimes idiotic bestfriend. Her attention returned to the tall slightly nervous man. "I'm terribly sorry, Mr. Holmes. It was a true pleasure to meet you," she grinned with as much delight as embarrassment.
"That is quite alright, ladies. My apologies," he smiled with a knowing, thankful look in his gentle face and eyes.
They hadn't blown his cover. Those around hadn't spotted him. And the clever brunette even used a name that hid his identity while proving that she knew whom she had bumped into. He was always glad to find a young clever girl- they were so rare today.
"This bloody thing started glitching earlier today," he chuckled, raising his older model iPod with a wiggle. "Was looking down when…" His low wonderful voice trailed off, not knowing what else to say to the obvious fangirls. The blonde was much more unsettling than her calm and collected friend.
"It was a pleasure bumping into you," Makenzie sweetly grinned, brave enough to make full eye-contact. Every cell in her body suddenly felt like electric. She wasn't even off her high from being at the door. And then this.
Benedict Cumberbatch was about to speak when a loud gunshot fired from down the street. The girls froze in terror as the celebrity's hand immediately dove into his right pocket.
"Follow me and keep silent," he gently ordered in a hushed tone.
They did as he asked. He nearly jogged to the set door, the girls right behind him. His hands didn't seem to shake as he turned the proper key inside the lock. The black door opened as he motioned for them to get inside. Their eyes grew wider as they stepped inside the lobby area they had seen many times from the show. They heard the door lock then Benedict motioned for them to follow. The instinctive Makenzie and terrified Sophie followed him up the staircase. His keys rattled together as he searched the small metal ring for the desired key. No one said a word as he opened the door the fangirls knew to be the flat of Sherlock Holmes. But they weren't in the proper mood to gasp in awe.
The moment they were all inside with the second door locked, Benedict whispered, "Everyone alright?" The two girls nodded, adrenaline running wild through each body. He ran towards the windows and made sure the blinds were completely closed. "Please, take a seat," their favorite actor requested as if he were offering guests cups of tea.
Makenzie remained silent and alert as Sophie's hard breathing and rather pale complexion began to worry the other two. The brave brunette took her friend's hand with an assuring squeeze and optimistic smile.
Benedict peeked out from a small hole between the curtains and sighed, "I honestly doubt the gunshot had anything to do with me but just in case."
It was so odd to Makenzie how normal he seemed. If he had been one of their protective guy friends from college he would have handled the situation the exact same way. Benedict Cumberbatch, and every other celebrity for that matter, had always been merely human to her. But he was more human than she had ever let herself believe. The fairytale of him being more than just a talented man ended that moment. His heart was racing just as theirs. He had similar worries flooding through his mind as they had through theirs. And he had been very kind by not abandoning them on the street.
Police sirens came from all directions, growing louder as lights became brighter through the curtain material. Benedict observantly watched as one passed their building towards the street they had been walking down just minutes ago. He pulled the two long pieces of material tightly together just before taking a deep breath. Sophie released Makenzie's hand to wipe tears from her face- the poor thing was still shaking. The room fell silent.
"Thank you," Makenzie said from the couch, with gratitude dripping from her voice and sincerity filling her crystal blue eyes.
His eyes met hers as one corner of his lips turned upright.
"I'm just glad we got off the streets in time. That would have been a mess." They shared a silent laugh of relief before he asked, "You came to see the door?" The blonde gave a vigorous nod, still a nervous wreck, as the obviously intelligent one simply nodded with a small grin. "Bet you didn't anticipate all this," he sighed while sitting in Sherlock's chair.
"We're on a school trip," Sophie blurted, talking to calm herself.
"Oh?" he was kind and acting completely interested for her sake. Clever man. "Where do you live?"
"Well, Kenzi and I go to Cambridge but I live near Bath," she continued, her nerves becoming less raw as the distracting conversation continued. "We're both English majors."
He knew what was going on and didn't mind the conversation if it helped the poor girl.
"And what do you plan to do with your degree?"
"I'm a literature major," she replied with a smile. Then her face suddenly turned green. Had she not been a devoted fan, she wouldn't have known where the kitchen was. The girl ran from the couch to the sink. She made it just in time, bending over the sink making horrible noises.
Benedict's eyes moved to the speechless grinning girl on the couch. When their eyes of shared amusement met, the girl couldn't help a silent giggle. This gave the man full permission to release his own unheard chuckle. It really wasn't funny yet the shared moment seemed to relax them both. Each pair of eyes aimlessly searched the room until the noises from the kitchen stopped. Sophie returned looking worse than when she bolted out of the room.
"Need to sit down?" a concerned Makenzie asked, rising to her feet.
"I just need to lay down. Between the traveling, all the walking around today, the excitement," her blurry eyes met Benedict's as they shared a quick grin. "Would the set people mind if I borrowed the couch for a few minutes?"
"Not at all. We have an extra just in case," he explained, truly hoping the unfortunate girl was alright.
"Wonderful." The still greenish young lady plopped onto the couch and immediately fell asleep.
When the room was silent once more, Benedict raised a hand towards the chair of John Watson. His expression equaled the phrase "might as well". The girl couldn't help another grin. This was all completely mad. They had simply come to see the Sherlock door. They had come to London for an educational holiday. Makenzie had the feeling that they were destined for a different sort of education. She took a seat, her back resting against the famous union jack pillow, and took a deep breath. When she had woken up that morning, never had she imagined sitting in 221B about to have a private conversation with Benedict Cumberbatch.