Status: While writing my other Sherlock story, I thought this would be fun. Heaven forbid I work on one project at a time. ENJOY AND COMMENT!

Starcrossed

Such Sweet Sorrow Pt. 2

The first traces of sunlight peeked through her window yet brought no joy with its glistening rays. The first sounds of London filtered through the crack of their little window yet she didn't wish to join those on the streets. This was the day she had been dreading. This was the last hour of her dream. The very thought of returning to her "real life" made her stomach turn in disgust. How did someone go back to a life like hers after a week of so much magic?

Sophie's alarm went off, startling Makenzie from her torn thoughts. As the blonde yawned, stretched, and carried on Kenzie pulled out her mobile. One text message.

- Good Morning :) Hope you slept well. I'll call before I leave. -BC

Seeing him this morning was going to be so bitter sweet. How could she say goodbye with a smile when her heart already ached to be reunited with him? Part of her still questioned him and his promise that this wasn't the end of their story. As if he was serious. As if he knew what the future held for himself, much less both of them.

- Hey you :) Packing up now. Better hurry! -MD

The girls' bags were packed and the halls were full of their peers heading to breakfast. Makenzie asked if her phone had rang each time she left the room. After a few times, Sophie became just as nervous.

"Maybe he's going to make it romantic and wait for the last minute." As always, Sophie's kind optimistic words were doing nothing for Makenzie's heavy doubts.

"This is the last minute, Soph. He's not coming." Her words dripped with anxiety that she somehow hid from her face.

"Well, let's have some breakfast, yeah? Maybe he's just running a bit late. Probably had to make another call or something."

The girls took their luggage down the lift then ate as quickly as possible. It killed Sophie to see the strongest person she knew on edge like this. How did Kenzie hide it so well. Those who knew her would have been able to tell that something was bothering her a great deal but to anyone else, she simply looked tired. Sophie could tell the difference. For a moment, she wished she had Ben's number to text him to hurry. Surely if he knew the worry he was causing their common friend, he'd hurry it up a bit.

Breakfast was over too soon. Everyone was gathering their things and making their way to the shuttle that would take them to Heathrow. The best friends exchanged worried glances, neither knowing what action to take. No words could change the situation. No full hearted hoping would bring him to her any faster. And she had given up praying long ago.

Suddenly, Makenzie's eyes filled with a new sort of spark.

"Professor Simms!" She practically ran up to the man, interrupting his conversation with the shuttle driver. He only gave her a horrified look of disbelief for answer. How dare she cut in like that. "I think I left my mobile in the room, sir."

"I'm growing a bit tired of your irresponsibility, Daniels. Hurry! If we are all late for our flight because of your forgetfulness-"

"I'll just be a minute, sir. Sorry." Ben's acting skills must have rubbed off on her a bit this week. A stellar performance. Makenzie walked back into the lobby then Sophie grabbed her arm.

"What are you doing?"

"Stalling a bit," she whispered making her way to the desk. "Yes, sir. I left something in my room. Terribly sorry." The bloke at the desk handed her the room key then she ventured up the stairs.

The moment she was in the hallway, and out of hearing distance, Kenzie called Ben for the fourth time in the last hour.

"Come on, come on," she hissed. Another few rings. Her heart felt as if it was about to come out from her throat. "Answer." His voicemail; she'd never heard it before. While it was adorable and so very Benedict, she couldn't quite manage a genuine grin at the moment. "Ben, it's Kenzie. We're about to board the shuttle, so hurry!" The young woman almost hung up then but something made her continue. "If you truly meant everything you said this week, especially at the hotel… Please. Please get to me in time."

"Miss Daniels!" Dr. Thick shouted up the staircase in frustration.

Reluctantly, she called back down, begging for one more minute. It wasn't until she heard his footsteps that she returned to the lobby. Everyone was already in the shuttle, Sophie staring at her through the window wishing there was something she could do, and yelling and teasing her.

"And what was so important that you nearly made us late?" Leave it to Caroline to make someone feel extra special. Without words, Kenzie held up her mobile and gave it a little shake in the air. "You lost your phone? We're going to be late because you- how does anyone leave their mobile in their room?" She was holding hands with Chase as she spoke. Apparently they had become a couple sometime in the last forty-eight hours.

"Don't try showing off for your boyfriend, Caroline. You already have enough pride for the pair of you," Makenzie challenged without fear.

Everyone else in the shuttle cat called and giggled, a few rude comments coming from the rowdy boys in the back seats. Dr. Simms ended the excitement by announcing that they were still on time. With that, a head count was taken followed by their departure from the city. Makenzie couldn't help staring out the window in hopes of a cab pulling up. No such luck. The hotel faded in the distance without a trace of Benedict.

"Goodbye, Sherlock," she whispered to herself out the window. Though she kept her composure, Sophie still saw the single tear that dripped from her best friend's eyes before Kenzie could wipe it away.

---

Heathrow was as mad as ever. It felt like a quarter of everyone in London was in the large building. All the halls and paths seemed confusing even for those who knew where they were going. Makenzie and Sophie didn't want to leave eachother's sight in fear of being separated in the vast sea of faces and sprinting bodies.

"There's still a chance," Sophie argued while following the pacing brunette.

"What? That he'll come to an airport? Think about it. People would notice him in seconds then he'd have that to deal with." Another turn on her heels. "No, he's not coming."

"You don't know that."

"And even if he did, he has no idea where we would be. This is the largest bloody airport in England!" An elderly couple passed her a look of disapproval. "Beg your pardon," she frowned with red cheeks. "Bollocks!"

"We have nearly forty-five minutes before we have to be anywhere. I mean-"

"I knew I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up. This is exactly why I was so careful," she ranted to poor Sophie. Of course this would happen. "Who was I kidding? He just wanted a good time this week to take the edge off his Sherlock rubbish. I bet he-"

Makenzie looked up to see someone practically parting the crowds. The world seemed to pause, all but him. He was running with a small bouquet of red roses in his hand and already out of breath. The man wasn't even properly dressed- blue jeans and the shirt she had slept in at the hotel. That smile was more than pleased and nearly took her breath away. The face she adored was full of light with a depth she had never seen before now. His curls bounced above those eyes so full of relief and lo-

"Thank God," he breathed, picking her up and pulling her to his chest. She wasted no time in wrapping her arms around his neck with a small laugh. "I left my phone by accident and didn't have time to go back. Went to your hotel and they said you were already gone. But I'm here now. I'm so sorry." He finally returned her to the ground. "You probably thought-"

"It doesn't matter what I thought. You're here now." Her own face was glowing with both happiness and shock. She ended their intense stare to glance around. "Follow me," she whispered taking his hand.

They both waved to a gushing Sophie as they disappeared into the crowd.

"Absolutely perfect," the blonde whispered to herself with a satisfied grin.

Makenzie lead him to a vacant area then pulled him into a corner near the loo. With thoughts already synced to hers, Benedict crushed her into the wall before ravishing her with steaming kisses. His mouth was at hers, then down her neck, lingered just beneath her ear, then returned to her lips. Her little sounds of mirth drove him on as their fingers intertwined. This was their last memory to make before fate drove them apart- or rather tried to tear them apart. Neither had anticipated such a heated farewell but neither complained or seemed to care.

"Stay with me a few more days," he begged when they finally settled down.

"I can't." Oh her blush was absolutely beautiful. "Summer is only a few weeks away. Then-" He kissed her hungrily again until she tried pushing away from him with a giggle- she was snogging Benedict Cumberbatch in a romantic airport scene. This wasn't reality. "Come to my graduation," Makenzie begged with her hands now at his chest, blue eyes full of trust at last- at the very end of their time together.

"I'll try. I don't know exactly what's going to be happening. When is it?"

"Last Saturday of April."

Ben kissed her nose knowing that their time was short. They sat in the corner and chatted a while. He told her of his race against the clock to be with her. The man had even driven his motorcycle just to get to her as quickly as possible. They kissed a few more times in their own little corner of the world then Sophie texted her; the group was walking to their gate.

"Parting is such sweet sorrow," he quoted with a bit of sass- still terribly romantic.

"For now. You promised." Kenzie, sitting between his spread legs with her back against his chest, turned her head on his shoulder to steal a glimpse of his face.

"You told me not to," he teased, as if the offer wasn't valid anymore.

"You did anyways." Their lips met before her smile ever so slightly dimmed. "Thank you for the roses."

"No problem at all."

"Walk me to my gate, Mr. Cumberbatch?" she whispered with that pleading stare that shook him to his very core.

"Of course."

He was first to stand. While assisting her to her feet, Ben accidently pulled too hard. This sent their bodies crashing together the way they had their first night together at Mark's. The wall. The moment he knew. Both of their minds wandered to the precious memory. Hand in hand they walked to her gate.

Sophie was first to see the pair strolling from the crowd, looking as if they were lovers more than special acquaintances. Her best mate looked happier than Sophie could remember. This was truly the holiday they would always look back on and giggle about. What were the chances? If only they had known what adventures awaited them in London on Sunday evening. They were somehow changed, the both of them. And from the looks of it, even Benedict seemed to be enjoying himself more than usual. She prayed that their story wasn't over, for his sake more than Kenzie's. Makenzie Daniels would be fine without Ben and she'd make any bloke a humble one. But it wasn't difficult to see how Benedict needed her. Kenzie was already becoming a extraordinary part of his life, simply judging by the smile that had never been more genuine on a red carpet.

Caroline's eyes widened as her jaw practically dropped to the floor.

"Not a word out of you," Sophie glared. The proud expression on her face returned the moment the drama queen couldn't see.

The lot of them gapped at their peer holding hands with a face they all recognized. Even Dr. Thick was at a rare loss for words. Instead of saying something to the celebrity, the educator urged his students on through the process, despite the ten minutes they had to spare. When the enraged professor, finally putting everything together, glared at Sherlock, Ben gave him a childish wave. Kenzie instantly giggled while pushing his hand back to his side.

"Oh, you aren't any fun are you?" he chuckled, that low rumble she was going to miss with all of her heart.

"One of us might be in some trouble," she sighed. Nothing could be done about it for now. It would be a different matter once they returned to campus.

"I doubt it. What will his argument be? That you didn't pass up a few opportunities to live a little?"

"I suppose." A few eyes darted in their direction. She didn't want to see him leave yet his presence was becoming quite obvious. "You better get out of here before your day is ruined."

Words weren't needed to convey his reply. Yes, it wouldn't take long for him to become trapped by hundreds of fans. He absolutely couldn't be late for filming. He was already in a bit of trouble himself. Yet Benedict couldn't seem to move his feet even a step away from her. When would he see this girl again? This beautiful young woman he already couldn't wait to see again.

"We'll Skype every now and then yeah?" he stated more than asked.

"And you'll try to make it to my graduation?" He nodded. "Do you want me to…?"

"Text me when you land, at your earliest convenience. Yes, please." Was he blushing or simply nervous from the growing crowd? "There are several cameras on me at the moment but," that handsome smug grin made her heart speed a bit. "I'm going to kiss you again, Makenzie Daniels. Very soon." That smile. His lover's grin and stare.

"Make no promises," she grinned in return, reminding him that she wasn't his. Not yet at least. "Then… I'll text you, yeah?"

"Yeah."

They embraced one another in a friendly yet intimate way, as if he was saying goodbye to a beloved friend. When they parted, each couldn't contain a few giggles and blushes. This was it. She waved then walked away with her roses in hand, a confident flirty bounce in her step. Kenzie peeked over her shoulder only once but it was worth it.

Benedict stood with his hands planted in his jeans, casual stance, curls perfectly tousled, head held high, and face happily concentrated on her. She was walking away from another few days with that. Yet one detail stood out to her from everything else.

He looked just like a man falling in love.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello everyone. Hope all is well. And this isn't even the climax! We are now about 3/4 through the story with a few surprises still left. I adore hearing from you all so please comment and let me know what you think! Don't be shy! Cheers!