Status: While writing my other Sherlock story, I thought this would be fun. Heaven forbid I work on one project at a time. ENJOY AND COMMENT!

Starcrossed

The Hourglass

Life went on, just as she knew it would. As soon as they returned to the campus, Caroline spent two weeks telling everyone that Makenzie Daniels had shagged Benedict Cumberbatch during their London trip. When asked, the clever beauty denied it, adding that it was just an inside joke between Caroline and herself. Everyone believed the more logical, and less dramatic, of the two.

Ben's texting was already slowing down and their secret Skype sessions were short and becoming a rarity. He seemed humble each time he told her that he'd be at her graduation but she still had her doubts. When they did talk, it was like two flirty old mates, not the lovers from the airport. Kenzie tried not to read too much into anything but the bloke made it difficult. There was still that romantic look in his eyes as well as in his voice yet the doubts from London returned quicker than they had faded. It always seemed to be a battle between his words and actions. It was a constant struggle to allow him into her life like this- a "special friend", yet so much more. He was always interested to hear about her days and leapt at the chances she gave him to know more about herself. In return, she listened to what bits and pieces he could tell her about his work and the endless interviews that kept them separated.

When the day of her graduation came, Sophie excitedly jumped onto her bed giggling and carrying on about graduation. It wasn't until she mentioned Ben that Makenzie didn't want to get out from under the duvet.

"He's coming right?" How did her friend have more faith in her Sherlock than she did?

"I don't know. He said something about-"

"Oh, he'll be here," Sophie confirmed all too optimistically, as she always did. "The way the pair of you have been talking, there's no way he could keep away."

"We haven't been talking all that much recently. Just a few quick texts here and there. I haven't even seen him in two weeks," Makenzie sighed, making herself climb out from the comforts of her blanket fort. "And if he doesn't-"

"He will. Now get a shower and hurry. We are graduating today, you know. Oh, and your dad rang while you were still dreaming about Bennybatch."

Sophie bounced out of the room without a care. Makenzie wished she could feel half as bubbly as her best friend. But there was no way her nerves would ever permit such ease on a day like today. Regardless of what happened with Ben, if anything, she was determined to have a memorable graduation day. After all, this was the day she had worked so hard for. In just another few months, she'd be sitting at her desk in some classroom waiting for her next bunch of students to arrive. The girl forced herself back to the present.

Mr. Daniels met them outside of their dorm building with two bouquets of flowers. Makenzie released a joyful laugh at the sight of her dad in his best suit. It seemed like ages since they were together and she was a daddy's girl through and through, willing to share him with only Sophie. The three hugged, teased, and laughed right up until the minute the girls fell into line with their peers. Graduation was beginning.

Kenzie checked her phone for the hundredth time today. Still nothing. What was keeping him? Was he planning to surprise her? And why on earth did she still believe in his word that he'd be there if at all possible? Maybe it wasn't possible. Perhaps something came up, as always seemed to happen. As the melodious march began, the robed students nervously made their way through the courtyard to the many rows of chairs. Name after name until...

"Makenzie Daniels."

A girl in the middle of the students cheered louder than any others while a man in the stands stood waving his hands above his head in victory. Kenzie smiled at her dad and soul sister, the ones that mattered most. Her eyes didn't even search the crowd for any other. This was the way it should be. She was almost relieved that he wasn't there. It would have caused a scene and would have been more trouble than the situation was worth. She wanted to graduate, not be on the front page of some tabloid that tainted Benedict's name.

"Sophia Meyers."

Makenzie and her father yelled and clapped above the other applauses of the audience. Sadly, Sophie's mind raced to her father for a split second- the sod was probably wasted on his dirty sofa wrapped in the arms of a girl just a bit older than herself. With a warm sense of pride in her heart and soul, Sophie cried tears of triumph while taking her diploma. Makenzie and Mr. Daniels were all the family she needed.

The three stood by the car, a pretty little black thing that her father enjoyed taking on long trips. As the girls giggled and teased with friends walking by, the parent dug something out from the back seat. Both ladies gasped at the large arrangement of blue, red, and white flowers- a small union jack placed in the center. The bouquet was handed to Makenzie.

"Dad, you already got me flowers. This is really too much." It was the most expensive floral piece she had ever set eyes on.

"I didn't," the father smirked, unsure of how his daughter would feel with this knowledge. "This note came with it yesterday at the house."

My Makenzie, Congratulations on your fantastic achievement. So very proud of you. Words cannot express how sorry I am for missing your big day. You'll hear from me soon. -Ben xoxo

"Is it from…?"

Makenzie nodded towards the blonde with a slightly disappointed expression. She understood that he was busy and the flowers were extremely flattering. But couldn't he have texted? Would his schedule simply not allow a quick phone call earlier in the morning? Her heart and mind fought their usual war- but only the quick version. She decided, while returning them to safety of the backseat, that such a beautiful floral arrangement shouldn't go to waste. Ben was pushed from her mind. The girl decided that it was best to act as if he didn't exist for the day, keeping all hopes and expectations for the day normal.

"A photo!" the proud father beamed, urging the two graduates to stand closer to one another. Makenzie, forgetting everything about London for the time being, and Sophie threw their arms around eachother and smiled towards the camera.

*FLASH*

Another interview about the movie he couldn't talk about for another few days. Another question he'd heard seven other times, not that he minded. It was effortless to remain humble. Why was everyone so fascinated with him and not the brilliant film itself? Ben just didn't quite understand, and said so in a few recent interviews he had done for Star Trek. With all this excitement, something was still missing.

The moment he was allowed to hide for a while, he pulled out his mobile. There was a conversation long past due to a very dear friend. Was she angry with him? Did she like the flowers- did she even get them? Was the day everything she had wanted it to be? The relentless media hadn't allowed him a chance to contact her, not the way he wanted to. Benedict wanted to do so much more than a quick five minute phone call. Five minutes wasn't long enough for the conversation he had rehearsed multiple times in his head since late Friday night, when he found out her graduation wasn't a possibility. One ring.

The majority of her things had somehow fit into her car but there was still three boxes remaining. Makenzie was feet away from putting the last box into her dad's car when her mobile began to buzz in her pocket. She all but threw her bedding into the Jaguar's backseat. Not even bothering to check her screen, she answered. Maybe it was the school office again.

"Makenzie Daniels." The girl was out of breath.

"Is this the Makenzie Daniels that just graduated?" Benedict was all too cheerful until she didn't reply. "Congratulations, by the way."

"Took you all of three days to properly tell me that," Kenzie sighed while leaning back against the car. Ben could almost see the dim expression that surely went with that quiet hurt tone.

"I can't tell you how sorry-"

"You already said that," she tried to smile. "Got the flowers. Lovely. Thank you. That was very generous of you."

"Please don't make it sound like it was charity. It was the very least I could do since I couldn't come." She didn't even need to ask the silent question being screamed at him. "There was a last minute change of plans late Friday evening and there was no time to tell you."

"What happened?" Kenzie sounded genuinely interested now, understanding and maturity finally winning over her adolescent sulking.

"Of all times for you to ask," he chuckled as if something was bothering him. "I'm afraid it's confidential this time."

"Of course," she sighed. The disappointment had returned.

"But I want to make it up to you."

"How?" What was he trying to bribe her with?

"Star Trek's London premiere is Thursday night, the day after tomorrow." Before he could utter another mad word, she cut him off.

"I don't know, Ben. Things are a bit busy right now. Moving out the last of my things from the dorm now."

London had been nothing short of perfect. Since then, the few precious occasions she got to talk with Ben he was perfect still. But he remained perfect from a distance, hours away from her where she couldn't get hurt or be tempted to act on her secretly growing feelings for him. Now he wanted to be only a breath away from her once more.

"Don't you have anyone else to take? Any woman in the world would go if you asked."

"But I don't want them," he interrupted her. Makenzie heard his deep breath and hard swallow- imagining his Adam's apple bob in his throat the way it did when he was nervous. "I want you, Makenzie Daniels."

It took her a few seconds but she finally responded, "And if I don't?" It wasn't a challenge but merely a question.

"Then I'll go alone, smile and wave, watch the film, stay at the after party uncharacteristically late, go back home alone, and get some rest." His sincerity was overwhelming, especially when using that tone she had been missing for the last week.

"Give me a little while to think about it?" She didn't sound very optimistic but at least she was considering it.

"Of course."

Ben felt that sudden pull of his heart to hers. He wanted to close his eyes and open them to the sight of her wherever she was this moment. Something had been missing ever since she left his embrace at Heathrow.

"How did Saturday go?"

They talked for nearly an hour until someone knocked on his door. Even then he didn't hang up on her. It wasn't until he was forced to take another call that their conversation came to a sudden end.

"I'm texting you an email address. Send a message telling them who you are and they'll give you the code for your plane ticket and cab information."

"You already bought a plane ticket for me?" She was thankful he couldn't see her blush. She also hoped that he didn't pick up on the hint of excitement in her voice. The last thing she needed to give him was hope.

"Yes. I'm praying you'll use it but I understand if you don't. Your life has just changed and it always takes a few days to adjust to post-uni. I remember that week." That low rumble of his voice nearly drove her to an irrational decision right then and there. "Think about it, yeah? Gotta dash."

"Fine. Alright. Talk to you later."

"Oh, and Makenzie… I did a bit of Facebook snooping. You looked absolutely stunning Saturday. Tell Sophie congrats from me as well. Bye."

Just like that, he was gone.

Makenzie and Sophie drove back to the place they called home, the Daniels residence. The rest of Tuesday was spent unpacking their things. The girls enjoyed their first meal in their proper kitchen and even watched a film on the cozy sofa before bed. But Makenzie didn't sleep that night.

Her mind wouldn't stop wandering to those light pleading eyes and breathtaking smile. Why did he have to care for her so much so soon? Why couldn't she allow herself a few months of happiness with him? What was so difficult about falling in love with a celebrity crush, especially the perfect Benedict?

Just Ben.

---

It was Thursday morning, ten hours before the long awaited premiere, and he hadn't heard from her since their call on Tuesday afternoon. According to his mobile, he had called exactly ten times in the last forty-eight hours. He was already on edge and she wasn't helping matters. Was she trying to kill him?

The previous night he had considered going to Mark's place, much closer to the action, but no place soothed him like the comforts of his own London home. He performed the old routine without a second thought. All the right calls were made in their proper order in preparation for tonight, his detailed shower ended without any nasty cuts on the chin, and the make-up/hair crew would be there in about an hour with his tux- a stunning piece he especially fancied for this event. When the time came for him to wait for his people to arrive, he went to his bedroom window. This was his second favorite view of London; the sunsets were always stunning from here.

What was she doing right now? Despite whatever he was doing, his mind constantly strayed to her lately. He hadn't chatted with her nearly as much as he wanted to. She probably thought that he was merely infatuated with the uni student he met in London. But how wrong she was. His heart began to race as his favorite ringtone played from his dresser. Ben made a mad dash to his mobile.

"Makenzie!"

---

The kind woman had let her in his impressive home but Makenzie had given her strict orders not to tell Benedict about her arrival. It was time for her to surprise him for a change. The sounds of his shower echoed down a stairway she couldn't see from his sitting room, giving her time to muster some courage and calm her nerves.

So there she was, sliding her finger against the mantle where his many photos were propped up for display. A few looked much older than the rest. She recognized the mischievous eyes of the little boy with curly ginger hair. His mother was every bit as lovely as her pictures online and his father rather handsome as well. A few photographs were of scenery that he had taken from around the world, some were of him meeting his own heroes, and then were some more private photos (a sweet looking little girl and a young boy in Christmas attire).

Looking around the room, she saw little bits and pieces of him everywhere. This room alone screamed Benedict- she was curious about the rest of the rooms. With its many organized colors and silly little trappings, there was plenty to notice. Some of it looked expensive, the property of a celebrity, yet some was clearly before his days of fame, from his life as a rising actor. Just Ben.

Being there alone thrilled the inner fangirl while something else entirely stirred in her. Makenzie was viewing another side of him that only his friends and family had ever seen. This was only a sitting room but its many details seemed to bring her closer to the man who was doing his very best to woo her. This was more of the man she had wanted to know before her trip to London.

The shower had been turned off long enough that he was probably decent by now. Her pulse vibrated with the knowledge that he was somewhere upstairs. Was he thinking of her? Had she even crossed his mind on this exceptional day of his life? Tonight would surely take him from Sherlock telly phenomenon to Hollywood film star. The time had arrived. His time would be precious and most coveted after things began. If she wanted a bit of private time with him before the madness began, she needed to make her move now.

Makenzie took out her phone then dialed the second number on her favorites list. She heard a faint melody upstairs followed by a quick shuffle of feet.

"Makenzie!" he sounded so happy and relieved. How could she not smile.

"Come downstairs," she whispered mysteriously before hanging up on him.

Just a moment later she heard him sprinting down the staircase calling her name, a smile clearly on his face. He finally rounded the corner to his front room (wearing only jeans), threw his mobile onto the sofa, took three long strides towards her, then picked her up off her feet. His lips wasted no times in meeting hers in a starved kiss. She allowed the kiss to linger until his tongue slid against her bottom lip, begging for access only granted one other time. The blushing girl giggled her way from his arms.

"Special friend, remember?" Her words didn't match the glow of her face.

"Why didn't you tell me? I could have picked you up and-"

"I wanted it to be a surprise," she chuckled, thrilled that he was so happy. Ben was like a child sitting in the midst of Christmas presents, with a little something extra playing in his eyes.

"Then you have achieved your goal." Though he tried to keep a polite distance, Ben took her into his arms again. She could even feel the pounding of his heart through her silky shirt. "Your flight wasn't even until later this evening."

"I traded it for an earlier flight... I missed you," she grinned with her head cradled beneath his chin.

"My company will be here in about an hour." The content low voice further soothed her, making her ask herself why she had ever doubted such a tender reunion. Makenzie moved her face too search his, looking like an angel to him.

"Then we have about an hour."

"Will you be coming to-"

"I brought two outfits. You'll have to help me. I will be there- wouldn't miss it for the world. But-I hope you don't mind…" The girl was shy and unsure all of a sudden. "Would you be hurt if I didn't come as your escort for the night? I wouldn't know what to do with myself and I was hoping to avoid all of the-"

"I understand completely. You have your identity and privacy at risk the moment you exit at car with me." Ben took her hands into his, looking into her eyes the way she adored. "You're here. I couldn't ask you for anything more. Don't feel obligated in any way tonight. As long as we're watching the same film in the same room, I'll be just as happy. Really. They'll be expecting me at the after party but I never stay long. And then…" He kissed her forehead. "I'm so glad you're here. In London, of course, but- It's lovely to have you in my home."

If he spoke another word, her knees were going to give out from under her. She placed her hands on his naked chest while staring blissfully at his gentle face. Yes, they hadn't talked much since her educational holiday and she was beginning to feel as if they were slowly being pulled apart by their very different lives. But he was being completely genuine with her, raw even, and it was the most beautiful thing. The excitement and thrill of tonight would forever live in her memory. Even then she knew that a different thrill awaited for her after they returned for the night.

Ben would probably be a little drunk. She'd be in great need of nerve relief and possibly tipsy herself. Then, when everything became quiet and intimate, he'd look at her with that lover's stare. It would be that moment that she wouldn't know what to do. Only time would tell.
♠ ♠ ♠
A little later than I intended. Sorry guys, school stuff got a bit crazy. The comments are much enjoyed and greatly appreciated. Thanks to all who took time to write one, especially my new commenters. You all are incredible! Hope you liked this chapter. Perhaps some of your angst is a bit more resolved- just a bit lol. Until next time!