Status: While writing my other Sherlock story, I thought this would be fun. Heaven forbid I work on one project at a time. ENJOY AND COMMENT!

Starcrossed

First Chat

"I just put you in the greatest danger you've probably experienced in your entire life," he nearly hummed. Guilt and apology filled each soft word.
"You haven't had my dad's attempts of cooking," she smirked. He noticed how she had just changed the entire mood of the solemn room with one sentence. "This was just a freak accident. Or fate. Whichever you personally believe in. We just happened to be here at the wrong moment. Or the right one in our case."
He nearly laughed at her being so optimistic. Optimism was often lost when the spotlights and cameras were turned off. Even on his most successful days, he had trouble being optimistic in things far less trivial than being near a shooting. Who was this young woman? She clearly wasn't some childish fangirl. In fact, her acting so calm made him question her being a fan at all. He suddenly felt foolish even wondering such things in a situation like this.
"Please forgive me. We've bumped into eachother, ran from a possible shooting, and tried helping your friend and I still haven't asked your name."
How could someone so superior be so considerate? He was worried about not knowing her name while she had been embarrassed for having intruded on his personal life for the last fifteen minutes. He was every bit as kind and genuine as she had seen in the interviews she had stumbled upon. She hadn't watched every film he had been in, there were more interviews that she hadn't seen than ones she had, and she truthfully didn't know that much about his personal life. But she was a fan none the less. And she was the luckiest of his fans in the entire world.
"I'm Makenzie Daniels," she bashfully announced.
"Very pleased to meet you," he grinned the brilliant grin that she favored above all his seductive posters.
This was the man she had always wondered about. The kind gentleman, not the seductive heart-breaker- though she was certain that version of him was beneath the sweetness he displayed now. He was something. Sophie's sudden grunt captured their concerned attention until she fell silent once more.
"And that is my best friend, Sophie Myers," the pretty girl continued to lovingly stare at her rather odd companion.
"She said that you were both English majors but you never answered the question." Benedict was genuinely interested in her answer. He was simply being nice to Sophie but she could tell in his body language and focused stare that he truly wanted to know this answer.
"If all goes according to plan," she began, already worried about not finding a job, "I'll be a secondary English teacher in the fall. My writing minor probably won't do me any good but I'm thankful for it anyways."
"Why a teacher?" he mused, fully interested now.
"The way I see it, teachers spend more time with students than some of their parents. Teachers have such an opportunity to change lives every day. And part of me wants to touch those lost kids the way a few of my teacher's touched me."
Her honest speech moved him. Who was this girl? Who was Makenzie Daniels as a person? From what he had seen in the last thirty minutes alone, she was brave, thoughtful, kind, smart, witty, and very attractive. But she was also young- too young to behave and think the way she did. From the very first minute he bumped into her, he knew she was clever. Now, he found himself wanting to know more about this unique beauty.
"You're very intelligent and probably don't get told often enough," he nearly whispered, looking right at her. His words obviously made her uncomfortable but he felt the strong need to continue. "You are the type of girl, Makenzie, that knows what she wants in life and fights for it. You'll make an excellent teacher who will certainly change many young lives. And whatever district hires you is very lucky to have you."
While his words were more flattering than anything any other bloke had spoken to her, she couldn't help feeling as if she were being given a line. He was her favorite actor for many reasons but he was still an actor and probably kept a few lines up his sleeves to pull out on occasions like this.
"Respectfully, Mr. Cumberbatch," Makenzie tried to be the perfect combination of gracious, truthful, and careful. "We only met just minutes ago. You don't know me and I don't know very much about you. I am a fan but not the obsessed fangirl you must take me for. You are a man who has done more than well for himself but you are still human. Some celebrities think they are larger than life itself but you don't strike me as that type. You are, however, known to be quite the charmer. And I'm a bit young for you so please don't play your games with me- intentional or otherwise."
It was Benedict's turn to be shocked speechless. This was definitely not a child. He hadn't even considered her as anything but a college student until that moment. Given a few years, this young lady was going places. The world would be hers for the taking and he was slightly curious of her future accomplishments.
"My apologies." She had truly put him in his place. He had become used to the desperate fan mail and entirely positive attention from girls her age swooning at the very sight of him. Makenzie Daniels was treating him as if he were a normal bloke- the stranger he was. "The last thing I intended to do was offend you. My previous statements were a bit bold."
"Only a bit," she half laughed with great sarcasm.
Her temper had cooled as she began to second guess herself. She hoped she hadn't crossed some sort of line. Were there set rules of how one should treat a celebrity? Was it alright to be yourself under circumstances like the one at present? She needed to let him know she wasn't mad.
"So what brought you do Gower Street this evening?"
His eyes flashed up to meet hers, thankful for being given second redeeming chance- though he wasn't quite sure he had done anything wrong.
"I like to view the sets I'm working on as one of the public before filming- when possible, of course. We'll be starting series three soon," he confessed in the casual manner they had been conversing in before she snapped at him.
"Yes, I'm quite excited about it. You are the perfect Sherlock," she grinned really looking around the room for the first time.
He watched her eyes find objects too small or minute to be noticed on screen. The patterns in which her eyes moved told him that she was taking everything in, studying the room down to the smallest details. She was one of a small number of fans that made it up to the 221B set. As she studied the set around them, he found himself studying her even further than before. He was no Sherlock and couldn't deduce her life story but he was just as curious. How could one have so much passion and spirit before leaving college? Most weren't so confident and genuine until years after college, if they ever formed the traits at all.
"No questions about spoilers?" he teased from Sherlock's chair, arms comfortably crossed with an amused smirk.
"You don't give out spoilers. In fact," her blue eyes found his soft gentle stare, "you probably give out the smallest number of spoilers than any other actor in England or Hollywood. It's clever, really, considering how popular you've become. All those interviews begging for just one piece of information."
"Always wanted to ask someone that in this room." Another silly confession. "Everyone that gets in here already knows every secret there is to know."
They shared a small laugh as Sophie snorted as before.
"Will she…?"
"She'll be fine. Soph doesn't handle danger very well," Makenzie assured the worried man.
"Your accent is different," he noticed, making her feel as if she had been caught. "Mostly British with a bit of an American accent?"
Her cheeks turned a rosy pink before she confessed, "Dad and I lived in Brighton most of my life. We moved to Ohio just before I started high school."
"That must have been interesting," he said in with genuine sympathy. Of all people, celebrities knew the many difficulties of moving. "What caused the move, if I may ask?"
"There were several factors."
He didn't want to insult her again so he didn't ask her to elaborate..
"What does the school trip entail?" She was surprised he had remembered and thankful for the change of subject.
"Dr. Sims' Foundation of Literature class goes to London for a week each semester and he takes each group to pivotal literature destinations. I think Dr. Sims has us signed up for a walking tour- Shakespeare and Dickens. It's by St. Paul's and goes a few miles. Students usually take the class the semester they graduate so the trip is sort of the last big event of our college careers."
"That's terrific," he smiled with a nod, appreciating the concept. "Have many of you spent any time in London before?"
"There's only twelve of us and most of them haven't ever spent more than a few hours…"
"You say that as if you have."
"My dad brought us here for Christmas one year." She fell silent, remembering flashes of that magical holiday. "That was probably my favorite Christmas."
This woman was very unique from the countless young females he had met by chance. She knew who he was yet didn't look as if crawling into his lap had ever passed her mind. Most fangirls would have been ripping his shirt off by now- especially at this particular set. No, this girl was poised, rational, clever, mature, and was treating him as if he was one of the public while respecting his true identity. And she was genuinely worried about her fried, glancing over every few minutes- a tender heart. Benedict was hesitant but knew he would regret not asking his favorite question to this rather remarkable young lady.
"Makenzie." The way he said her name sent chills throughout her body, though he wouldn't get the satisfaction of knowing the affect he was truly having on her. His eyes became intense as the casual expression faded. He was still gentle but very curious when he asked, "What do you want most in or from life?"
Such a deep question. She knew he was being sincere with her by his posture, fixed stare, and the way he began to play with his lips immediately after asking. He was by no means her obsession but she had seen enough interviews and such to read some of his body language. Now, the only question was if she could tell such intimate details of herself to someone just because of who they were. The fangirl in her wanted to tell all but the rational part of her gut told her to stay mysterious for as long as possible. After all, she would never hear from Benedict Cumberbatch after tonight.
"I suppose I'll find out after graduation."
He noticed the specific phrasing. This girl wasn't going to give him very much personal information. Most girls gave him more than an earful when he asked about them but, again, this one was quite different.
To her joy and Benedict's dismay, Sophie sat up on the sofa, mumbling something neither caught. Makenzie was at her side in a moment, asking if she was alright and if she needed anything. Cumberbatch silently watched in silent for a few seconds. It was strange how dangerous situations brought out the leader in some and the coward in others. He watched the two until it was clear that Sophie was alright. The deep in thought man made his way to the window and stole another peek from behind the curtains. Two sets of lights left the previously crowded crime scene. When the streets returned to their natural state, he took a deep breath that came out as a sigh.
"All is clear."