Status: While writing my other Sherlock story, I thought this would be fun. Heaven forbid I work on one project at a time. ENJOY AND COMMENT!

Starcrossed

Gran's

"Hello, gran," Makenzie grinned.

"Kenzie!" the old dear shouted from her door, watching the couple climb up the ancient concrete steps. "I just knew you'd drop by this week. Oh, who is-" her grandmother's eyes filled with wonderment. "Kenzie, you know Sherlock?"

Just as they got to the door, the girl giggled, "Gran, this is Benedict."

Her old hands instantly grabbed his, tenderly patting the top. An older version of his girlfriend's eyes danced excitedly from his face to his hair then down to his shoes. Of everyone he had ever met, meeting Granny Daniels would be an introduction he'd always remember- right up there with . Without warning, the old short thing pulled him down towards her to tell him a secret.

"Maybe if you'd have brought me on a case or two, I could have told you that mobile code second try- I just know it," she whispered before a hearty laugh.

Benedict glanced over at a smiling, but embarrassed, Makenzie then whispered back, "Then perhaps Sherlock can ring you next time."

The three burst into laughter, all nerves having vanished.

"Come in! I'll put the kettle on."

She lead them past the sitting room and down the short hallway to the kitchen. It was a cozy little place, the kind you'd expect a gentle widow to live in. But the walls and shelves were full of history and antiques. Black and white photos, tin lunch pails, collector glasses, painted ceramic figurines, and other various conversation starters. Ben's eyes suddenly found a framed photo of a little girl he just knew was his Makenzie. As her grandmother went on about a few of her old treasures, he picked up the photo without permission- his full concentration on the youthful features he knew so well. She had the same smile and her eyes still lit up this way when she was genuinely happy. He held this same little girl every night he could.

A pair of arms brought him back from his deep thoughts as they lovingly wrapped around his waist.

"Find something?"

"This is you, isn't it?" It was stated more than asked. Ben put his arm around her to moved her into his side rather than keep her behind him.

"Have I not changed?" His comment seemed to have slightly bothered her, that or she was teasing. Ben couldn't tell which it was.

"Still beautiful," Ben grinned before kissing her on the head. He put the photo back in its place, the undusty line on the shelf covered once more.

"You know, I didn't believe Kenz when she told me the two of you were together. Quite the story," the excited thing smiled from the sink.

"Yeah. Fate definitely dealt a different hand than I had expected. But thisone is far better than the one I had imagined for myself." He gave Makenzie a gentle squeeze on her waist from behind.

"Oh, that's brilliant, love!"

"Couldn't be happier," Makenzie finally chimed in- desperate for a subject change.

The grandmother sat three tea cups on the table before a heavy sigh.

"It's just a shame…"

Makenzie's full attention was suddenly on her gran. This conversation couldn't go on a moment longer.

"Gran, your room. Now?" She pulled herself from Ben's tender hold with a reassuring smile. Sadly, she was getting better at hiding her secret. At the same time, it was becoming more difficult to hide. As soon as they were both inside the back room with the door shut, Makenzie whispered, "I haven't told him." Why was it so hard to look the older woman in the eyes?

"He doesn't know anything?" Kenzie shook her head, her eyes still low. "And why not?"

The woman began pacing the room before answering, "I'm waiting." Her grandmother gave her a sarcastic glance. "Don't want to worry him if there's no need."

"Of course there's need!" Her voice was still quiet but more fierce.

"I will later, gran. I promise. But he's been so happy and things are going so well for him. I just can't bring myself to ruin it now."

The wise old woman understood where her beloved Makenzie was coming from. It didn't take long to pick up on how serious the couple were. His being so popular made it all the more complicated. Celebrities didn't place themselves in this position for anything less than honest love.

"Soon, dear," she stated, grabbing her granddaughter's hand to give it a loving pat. The girl's nervous pacing stopped the moment her hand was taken. "It needs to be soon."

"I know."

They entered the kitchen both smiling. Benedict was half way through the circle of antiques but returned their happy expressions the moment he saw them from the corner of his eye. Makenzie wasted no time in putting herself back into his arms, greeted with a quick peck on the lips.

"Tell me, Ben," grandmother started. "What are your intensions towards my granddaughter? She's all I have and I need to know."

Once Makenzie's gapping mouth and wide eyes were completely ignored by the elder, she hissed, "Gran!"

Benedict was also caught off guard but quickly put a genuine answer together.

"I'm… in love with Makenzie," he gracefully announced. "And, in the not so distant future, I hope to maybe settle down. All in proper time and circumstances allowing, of course."

The old pair of eyes slid from the handsome boy to Kenzie, her stare becoming deadly.

"I see." She was calling the girl out right in front of her boyfriend without his knowing about it.

"Point taken," Makenzie hissed again, a bit more annoyed but playful this time. "And there's no need to put him on the spot like that."

"I don't mind." He was too perfect. "She's only being protective."

"His intentions are honorable, gran. Moving on." There was a pause before the subject change. "Did dad tell you about Soph's pay raise?"

"Yes, that's wonderful! Much deserved." Her entire expression suddenly turned mischievous. "Now, Benny… Tell me…" she took a few steps towards the actor with a crinkled cheeky grin and wicked little sparkle in her eye. "How'd Sherlock do it?"

Makenzie blushed into Benedict's shoulder. Her grandmother was something else.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys, sorry its a short chapter. This week has been crazy between school and life =) Hope all is going well with everyone