Status: While writing my other Sherlock story, I thought this would be fun. Heaven forbid I work on one project at a time. ENJOY AND COMMENT!

Starcrossed

Acceptance

"Cup of tea, dear?"

"Yes, please, ma'am," Kenzie answered with a bashful grin, feeling less nervous than before but still slightly on edge.

"I told you, it's Wanda, love," Ben's mother laughed while getting up from the sofa. "His category should be coming up soon."

"Are you certain you don't want any help?"

"Seventy-eight means one is old, but not unable," the wise woman grinned, determined to stay more independent than not.

Makenzie wanted to be that sort of elder, a confident woman who aged gracefully. If ever she saw the distant future, she wanted to be something like Wanda. Just in case she did make it that far, she decided to start taking notes now. Anything could happen but if she was to be with Benedict for the rest of her life, she wanted to be enough like his mother to make him comfortable- doing the silly things men associate with their ever-loving mothers. Perhaps she would nick two or three of his favorite recipes before she left. Makenzie paused her thoughts a moment after realizing what those thoughts actually meant. As wonderful as it would be, something inside of her told her not to set her heart or hopes on being a part of this wonderful family for long.

Their home was a curious combination of posh and warm. It felt like home but certainly didn't belong to anyone from the commonwealth. Various awards proudly kept their place on a mantel above the fireplace on the wall adjacent to the flatscreen telly. Earlier, she had been mesmerized by the photos of young Benedict, his entire career summed up on a shelf in his father's study, a few minor awards and collected pieces of sentiment. The furniture was simple yet elegant, the kitchen every woman's dream, and everything in its proper place- but not to the point that the home looked like a museum.

"Makenzie?"

"Yes? Oh, very sorry! Please forgive me." There, she had already cocked it all up.

"Is everything alright?"

"Yes, I'm just… Oh, this sounds so silly but it's just that… you're his mum."

Wanda's amused smile grew into a laugh, as if Makenzie had just made some sort of joke.

"We're only people, I assure you. No need to be nervous."

"Surly you must be skeptical of me. Even after our first meeting in London, you must be wondering why your son wastes his time with a girl like me."

"A girl like you?"

"A first year school teacher nobody," Makenzie giggled, amazed how kind the mother was being.

Wanda's soft noises of amusement soon faded to a simple sigh before she announced, "Makenzie, you are clearly a very special girl. If there wasn't something different about you, you wouldn't be sitting on our sofa watching your boyfriend's award show." She gave that a moment to sink in before continuing. "Benedict thought you'd be a bit backwards. I think he wanted us to get to become more personally acquainted, a very good idea. It's important, girl bonding and the like."

"But you must think me a child after knowing the others. I mean, you must have thought of Olivia as a daughter at one point or another." Her comment turned the mood of the room to one of more caution. Kenzie suddenly regretted saying anything at all. Why couldn't she have given the most simple bland response possible? Sure the generosity of the host would wear thin soon enough.

"It's true that my son has exquisite taste, and great pride concerning his relationships and his possessions. While he hasn't allowed fame to 'go to his head', he has been entitled to a particular lifestyle, especially in the last five years. But above all that, he holds his romantic interests of extremely high importance. He only has a girlfriend when he is serious about them and they come second in his life to family alone. His father and I have met a handful of wonderful girls, each unique in their own way but all special for some reason or another." Her sudden pause made Makenzie's heart pause in her chest. When their eyes met, the two women connected in a way neither could explain. "I know what he sees in you."

"You… you do?"

"You're young, yes, but age is only a number. Maturity is far more important than age. You have what we like to call an old soul. You've probably been through more than the average person your age, giving you more experience, wisdom, and a deeper understanding about a number of things. You're a clever fun girl, passionate, and you make him happy- very important in a relationship." Wanda's posture relaxed as she completely leaned back into the sofa. "Did you know he considers you his best friend?" The girl's surprised expression caused another quick smirk of pleasure on the mother's graceful aged face. "He's never said that about his others- Olivia in the beginning, perhaps. But that's been ages. You're common, that's different than the others. Yet with that comes a genuine spirit; you've no need to put on a show when it comes to social interactions, refreshing in any celebrity's life. Listen to me, deducing the poor heart out of you," the mother giggled, now the more nervous of the two. "My point, Makenzie, is… He loves you. Possibly more than you know. Benedict has been hurt several times and is more than cautious when taking on a love interest. But what he has with you is different than what he's shared with the others. Not even he can say why exactly."

"With all respect, you know this how?" the now teary eyed girl asked in a hopeful whisper.

"We talk more intimately than most mothers and sons. He tells me everything, sometimes too much," she laughed with a blush.

"So you know about the shag at Martin's Halloween party?" Makenzie asked with a pained expression and crimson cheeks.

"No, actually," his mother belly laughed. "That little detail must have slipped his mind."

"And I just… Beg your pardon," the mortified girl cackled.

"It's fine. He'll be the one blushing when he finds out I already know. That will be a fun conversation."

"You know so much about me yet I hardly know anything about you."

"You know the most important part of me, my children. You'll meet Tracy and little Emily soon, I'm sure. Probably around Christmas time."

"I'm eager to meet everyone," Makenzie grinned, the very thought of meeting all his family surreal.

"As they are to meet you, my dear. We'll see more of eachother after tonight. I'm sure of it."

"I'd like that a great deal. And thank you."

"Whatever for?"

"It's been a while since I've had a… a talk like this."

"A motherly conversation you mean?"

"Not that I'm expecting you to-"

"No, I understand. Not from experience but enough to know what a conversation from someone older can mean." The telly audio suddenly consumed all of their attention. "Tim! Hurry darling! He's on."

Tim shuffled from his man cave to the sitting room just in time. He plopped next to his wife before giving her a quick pinch near her bum. Wanda playfully tutted and shooed him away before they grabbed hands with pride for their son.

"Oh he looks dapper, does he not? Did you help pick out the suit, Makenzie?"

"We found it together," she smiled with pride of her own. The man accepting the posh award was hers.

As Ben went on about the fellow artists who had their part in his successful career, Wanda sighed, "Always sharing the credit. Gracious but nearly too modest." The others gave a blissful nod of agreement, keeping silent to hear.

Then Benedict put the attention on Chiwetel Ejiofor, the beaming Wanda gave released another whimsical sigh. He went on thanking everyone involved then thanked everyone for their company. The moment he began thanking his parents, Wanda's little sounds of awe pulled at Makenzie's heartstrings. His mother was so proud, his father too, and they wanted to share this special moment with her. The couple's hands tightened in a way only parents understand. If she was lucky, too lucky, she may have the chance to feel what they were that moment.

"This if for them. And it will end up on mum's mantelpiece," he grinned, raising the award as if showing his mum that moment.

"Yes it will," the mother breathed with her own large grin.

"She's a very strong-willed woman. I'm not going to fight her for it."

"Cheeky thing!" Wanda hissed with a giggle, as if anyone would ever think ill of her for coveting such a piece.

Ben walked off the stage then the telly was flipped off, everyone silently grinning while lost in their own thoughts.

"Good show, my boy," Tim whispered with Ben's crooked grin.

The trio continued sitting there, each knowing that the night was finally at an end.

"Thank you for coming, dearest girl. I apologize for keeping you out on a school night."

"No, it was my privilege. Really. Besides, Ben kept me out ridiculously late a few weeks ago. Talked me into going to that Thor premiere."

"Yes, he mentioned the occasion. It sounded like a wonderful time. Did he introduce you to Tom? Oh, the two of them are quite the pair."

"I never dreamt of meeting so many film stars, even after we started dating. Benedict has been full of surprises from the first day he came back into my life. Tom was absolutely lovely. He and Ben joked about who was the best baddy. Tom of course went to comic-con in San Diego so he had the upper hand in the public area but Benedict's Star Trek success and night shows were quite the rival and brought more money in."

"Those two have teased eachother since their first large roles- mostly about who would become the big name. They've both done more than well for themselves. And I'm sure you looked beautiful. Yes, you do make a handsome couple. The world will become quite jealous of you both when you go public."

"Yes," Makenzie answered, pushing the thought from her mind for the time being. "It will be lovely."

"Just ignore everything you don't hear or see firsthand. The media loves ripping perfect young couples apart just because they can. I think some of them like doing it. Anyways, have a safe drive."

"Thank you, both. You were so kind to open your home to me. Congratulations to the pair of you. You made quite a perfect human being, if I may say so myself."

The parents laughed, sharing a sweet look, then walked her to the door. Next came their final goodnights. Kenzie waved before pulling out of the driveway then began her journey home.

"Absolutely smashing, that one," Tom laughed, putting his arm around his wife to watch the car disappear. "He already has a ring doesn't he?" It was stated more than asked. "He'd be a fool to let her slip away."

"She is quite the gem isn't she? If I know my Benedict as well as I think I do… oh, nevermind. That's weeks away. Come on. It's time for the old people to retire."

"Right behind you, love."

"And if you're particularly good, I might let you kiss on me until I fall asleep," she teased walking away with a sway of her hips.

"You mean raising a BAFTA winner isn't bloody good enough for you?"

While they playfully made their way into their bedroom, Makenzie pulled off from the road. Tears streamed down her face. His parents had been more than kind and accepting of her. Wanda was a fantastic mother and Benedict was Tim all over. It wasn't that she didn't think herself worthy of this future, she just wasn't sure if she was possibly getting too close. The more they allowed her into their happy family, the more pain she would cause. And hurting them, Benedict especially, was the very last thing she wanted to do. Yet, it was the very thing that needed to be done. The time was quickly approaching.

And the very thought of it brought her to tears.
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy Sunday everyone! This may be my only chapter this week. Lot's going on at school! But break is near YAY! You all have been blowing this story up and its been the best part of my horrible month. I'm really trying to keep up with all of Ben's schedule and put what I can into the story. But 1) he's too busy to keep full tabs on 2) only so much fits into the story 3) I don't know about most of his things until Pinterest/Tumblr photos are posted but 4) I'm almost up to date! Exciting, yeah? Alright, enough chin wagging. Let me know if you liked it! I do so love hearing from you all. And it is SO much fun "watching you (all) dance". Haha your little comment freakouts are so much fun. Just a few more chapters guys, then all will be revealed. =) Lots of love