Status: While writing my other Sherlock story, I thought this would be fun. Heaven forbid I work on one project at a time. ENJOY AND COMMENT!

Starcrossed

Surprises (Part 1)

It started out small, hardly noticeable, as all problems do. First came midterm papers and exams to grade, taking up two full weekends- both of which she stayed home. Then he had planned a romantic night out for them, something to take her mind off school for an evening; Makenzie politely and lovingly declined claiming that rest would do her better than whatever beautiful plans he had for them. That was the night he noticed the tired bags beneath her eyes. When had they gotten there? Something was even wrong about the way they made love that night. The candles and music seemed to make her more nervous than relaxed. The woman he loved had changed, so minutely that he couldn't even describe exactly how.

Ben's first thought was depression, common for first year teachers- the job a bit more demanding and stressful than expected. But she didn't have the main symptoms; instead, she simply looked tired, stressed, and declined his offers to take her out. Depression was more, deeper.

They had become even more a part of eachother's worlds the last few weeks. Ben had made several trips to Gran's and her father's, much to Kenzie's delight. His schedule had been unusually light so he took every opportunity. She, in return, visited his parents whenever convenient- especially award show nights and the like. The two lovers had become more permanent in eachother's lives, as if they had been there for much longer than a few months. They still shared their silly immature moments, was still learning the smallest things about one another, and had found a sort of rhythm between their very different life styles.

The Christmas Makenzie and her father had spent in London, he had taken her to see A Christmas Carol. As soon as she told Ben the fond memory, he immediately decided that he would take her to see it in London again. Her sparkling eyes pulled at his heart when he revealed the tickets to her. Their time together that night was fun and tender, but there was still something unsatisfied within her. That was the night Ben knew what course of action he wanted to take next.

The night after Makenzie returned to Sophie, Ben forced himself to make a call.

"Benedict," the elder man greeted with an obvious grin on his face. "I saw your number on the screen and it reminded me that I didn't send you that jazz MP3 I was going to."

"No trouble at all," he nervously laughed.

"To what do I owe this honor?" her father affectionately teased.

"I actually rang to discuss a rather important matter, sir."

"Go on then." plopped into his old chair, the most comfortable place in the house to handle uncomfortable business.

"Makenzie has been a bit under the weather lately. Have you noticed anything?"

"Yes, she has been a bit down as of late."

The lack of surprise in his voice made Benedict slightly more anxious than before. He couldn't shake the feeling that the father knew something.

"With your permission, sir, I would like to ask Makenzie's hand in marriage. Christmas day, perhaps. When we are in the company of your Christmas family gathering." No reply. "I know it's only been a few weeks since we met and-"

"Sooner would be better rather than later," the parent sighed heavily from the other line.

"Oh? Before Christmas?" Now the actor was completely confused.

"It's Thanksgiving holiday in America this weekend," announced in a new lighter tone of voice- a hint of mystery still remaining.

"I'm aware." A brief pause. "Are you suggesting I ask her this weekend?"

"The Americans are putting up their Christmas trees and such this weekend. It might be good for her to get away for a few days, don't you think?"

Benedict was having a Sherlock moment, putting all the clues and hits together to form a plan.

"Yes. That would do her some good, indeed," he answered, his mind already putting the smallest of details together.

"She loves you, you know?" The father's words pulled Ben from all other thoughts. "She looks at you the way her mother used to look at me, down to the crooked grin and shinning eyes." What could Ben say to that? Before he had the chance, the other man continued, "And I know that you love her. You're time in Sussex and Brighton have meant everything to her. You mean everything to her."

"I know. Her happiness is my top priority and only desire."

"Come to my place before you pick her up for your weekend. There's something I want to give you, son. The both of you."

Makenzie had argued at first, having to take off a few days of school and not wanting to be on a plane for hours on end. Ben finally bribed her into the idea with a hotel window to watch the Macy's parade from. Thursday morning came and she had never seen so many people in one place in her life, and that was only one street in New York. The excitement of it all took them back to bed three quarters through the parade for a different kind of excitement. As they lay panting in one another's arms, Benedict noticed the thrilled cries and yells from below.

"Makenzie Daniels!" he said with a stern expression and mock disappointment. "You made us miss Santa Clause!"

After a tickled fit of giggles, Makenzie rolled atop him then seductively argued, "Santa brought your Christmas present back in October."

"And what was that again?" As if he hadn't the faintest idea what she was talking about.

Her kisses and clever hands soon reminded him.

Their flight to California was spent sleeping, since the pair didn't do much of that in New York. A taxi picked them up from the airport and drove them to Ben's American mansion. It was much warmer here than in windy, cold New York City.

While putting the key into the lock, Ben confessed, "Before you, I spent much more time here. I lived here more than anywhere else when filming Star Trek. Then, my darling, you came and turned my whole world absolutely mad." They shared a tender kiss before he opened the door. "Unfortunately, I'll be spending more time here again in a few weeks. Other Hollywood projects coming up soon."

"So you're going to leave me in England while you-"

"Make the money," he winked- letting her know that he was working for them both now, being the main breadwinner for what they had. They walked into the living room and set thier luggage down before falling into his soft cream sofa.

"Oi! I still have my job, Mr. Cumberbuns!" She poked his side but didn't expect him to become so serious.

"Depending on how things go in the next few years, you wouldn't have to work." Their eyes met for the first time since the door.

"Yes, well, 'depending on how things go', Tom Hiddleston might realize his burning passion for me then I could leave you for-" She didn't get to finish for her boyfriend viciously tickling her in every spot he knew she had. Her cries and laughter of mirth filled his heart with hope. "Alright! I'll never leave you! I won't leave you!" She yelled in half giggles to make him stop. And stop he did.

Ben was hovering over her when they stopped their playful moment to stare. The way their eyes locked assured them both that this was real. No dream could feel this real. No imagination could think up something as perfect as what they had. Ben's hand caressed her cheek as she moved her head closer to his palm. He watched her eyes close and breathing change to a content manner he remembered- this was more like his Makenzie.

"Promise me," he whispered, forcing her eyes back to his. "Promise you'll never leave."

Makenzie closed her eyes with another little content smirk, humming instead of using speech to convey her promise. When her eyes opened again, they were full of the spontaneous mischief he had come to adore.

"You didn't bring me all the way to California to make me promise the obvious, did you?"

"No," Ben chuckled. "But this is the top Christmas decorating weekend of the year."

She looked around the few rooms she could see from his sofa. Ideas already filled her anxious mind.

"Do you trust me to decorate your home, Benedict?"

His angel asked this as if she wasn't completely sure what his answer would be? How could he deny her such simple joys? For the first time, his American home would have the woman's touch he had always so desperately longed for- and at Christmas time, no less.

After a meaningful kiss, Ben's grin filled her soul with glee when he ordered, "Do whatever you want. Spare no expense, and make this place your own."

"Ben!" she squealed while wrapping her arms around his neck. "I'm going to change clothes then—oh, you need to call another cab—then we can be on our way. Where is the best place to shop? We don't need anything from those Hollywood celebrity stores. No, something casual classy will do just fine. And we need to…"

Makenzie had taken her bags up the staircase, verbalizing every thought and plan- filling the often silent rooms with more light than the home owner could have ever hoped for. As she carried on, oblivious to the fact that he could no longer make out her words, Benedict walked over to his bag. Certain that she would be out of the room another several minutes, he unzipped the luggage and dug around until his fingers found the desired object. With her excited remarks still background noise to his inner dialogue, Ben fiddled with the small box. It had been timed perfectly; the moment his bag was zipped again, the object safe inside once more, Makenzie leaned over the banister.

"Well, you need to get dressed too! One of your casual disguises, darling. And don't forget to call a cab- or taxi thing."

If this was going to be married life with Makenzie Daniels, he couldn't wait.
♠ ♠ ♠
Part one of the chapter you have all been waiting for. Part 2 will reveal all, if you don't catch it after this bit. I was having trouble deciding weather to give the big secret away now or for Christmas but some readers from my other site are becoming rudely impatient. If I told the audience the secret without telling Ben, the desired affect would be drastically decreased so you don't know until he knows (next chapt, which should be later tonight). Thank you all for staying onboard. The story wouldn't be what it is without its devoted readers and reviewers. Until later tonight...