Status: While writing my other Sherlock story, I thought this would be fun. Heaven forbid I work on one project at a time. ENJOY AND COMMENT!

Starcrossed

Dreams

"I can't wait to see the look on Professor Thick's face when we-"

"We aren't going to." Makenzie had just spoiled her best friend's fun.

"Yeah? Well I don't see why not," Soph was desperately trying not to look hurt but her friend's unexpected cross tone hurt her feelings a bit.

"Because out classmates wouldn't even believe us if we told them. Professor Thick would be worried about our safety and take away our free time. And I'm sure Benedict doesn't want this getting out. We would never have another moment's rest if people knew we were trapped up here with him for two hours."

Her stare moved from a more agreeable Sophie to the thankful Benedict.

"I truly appreciate your silence," he nearly whispered, his stare towards the floor.

When his gaze lifted to Makenzie, the true power of his eyes was unleashed. One moment it was eyebrows, eyelids, and lashes. Then the blue-green irises put her under his charming spell- just long enough for her mind to wander places it had never dared go until now. She couldn't let him know and if she kept her composure for just a few more minutes, he would never know. After tonight, they would never see eachother again.

"Sophie, let's say good-bye to Mr. Cumberbatch. I'm sure he has a few calls to make."

"That I do," he softly chuckled, rubbing a hand through his Sherlock hair. His deep laugh was even better in person. The internet didn't quite do his wonderful sounds justice. "Where are you ladies staying?"

"The-" Makenzie immediately covered her friends mouth.

"We can take the tube. No trouble at all, really. You've done far too much already."

"Nonsense. I haven't had a night this entertaining in a while. The lease I can do is give you a ride."

"On your motor bike!?"

"The three of us? Do use a bit of reason, Soph," Makenzie couldn't help a small giggle- this was the night of Sophie's life. She had to admit herself, this whole first day in London had been quite fantastic. And the night was by far the best part.

"I actually meant a cab," Benedict confessed with a smirk.

Sophie's face filled with realization as Makenzie tried holding in a giggle. The cab was hailed and the three silently piled in. Makenzie made a point to give her best friend the thrill of sitting next to the celebrity- something the silly fangirl would cherish the rest of her life. Benedict noticed the action immediately, but he didn't anticipate the quick feeling of disappointment from not sitting beside the other. She continued to surprise and intrigue him with small acts similar in nature to what she had just done. The girl hadn't even suggested he sit in the middle so they could both sit beside him.

"Hyde Park Radnor, please," Makenzie asked more than told the shocked cabby, clearly a fan himself.

"That's quite a nice hotel for a school holiday," he mused, hoping the brunette would reply.

"It's fantastic," the bubbly girl giggled in a pitch too high for Benedict and Makenzie.

It was like the girl sitting between them was doing absolutely everything in her power to keep the other two from conversing. This wouldn't have bothered them but their ride was already at its end. The cabby made the left in front of the posh bed and breakfast then stopped.

"Thank you so much, Mr. Cumberbatch," Sophie gushed, her blush as scarlet as could be.

"You're both very welcome," he replied with an awkward but mostly amused chuckle. "Here, allow me."

He got out of the cab, circled to the other side of the car, and opened the door for the girls- mostly to steal one last moment with his favorite of the two. Making sure the more immature fangirl didn't see, Benedict discretely held out his hand for Makenzie to take. Her mind immediately went to the scene in the Pride and Prejudice film where Darcy helped Elizabeth into the carriage. But surely he didn't intend for the gesture to be noticed in any sort of romantic scope. Surely.

Makenzie was shocked to notice that he didn't do the same for the still overly giddy Sophie. He had only held the cab door open for her. It was difficult to keep a calm expression but she managed. Her collected behavior faded when her friend practically fell out of the cab, Benedict's presence still taking a large toll on her.

"Opps. Please, forgive me!" she only laughed, almost snorting.

"That's quite alright. Are you well?" he asked, those light eyes puzzled and a bit embarrassed for the poor thing.

"Yes," she declared staring into his eyes. "Better than ever. Couldn't be better."

The girl was slightly frightening and made him a bit nervous but it had all been worth the few minutes of conversation with the other- the more beautiful and clever of the two.

"Thank you again for everything," Makenzie grinned, pulling her arm through the blonde's to help her maintain balance. "And we promise to keep silent about this evening. You have our word."

"The pleasure was entirely mine, Miss Daniels," he said with what looked like a special glow in his eyes. "And it was lovely to meet you, Sophie," Cumberbatch grinned, keeping as polite as possible.
"We'll never forget tonight, Mr. Cumberbatch. Never!" the now hysterical friend called from over her shoulder.

The actor only nodded as they walked up the stairs and through the door. But Makenzie couldn't help stealing one last look at him, standing beside the cab looking incredibly handsome. It was unreal. Too good to have been true. She half expected to wake up at any moment to find it all a perfect silly dream.

They were the last ones in from their group. The man at the front desk told them to text their professor to let him know they were back and wished them a good night. The two stepped into the lift with wide grins still plastered to their faces. Neither spoke until the doors were completely shut.

"Can you believe that?" Sophie giggled, holding nothing back.

"I couldn't believe you," Makenzie chuckled. "You were absolutely mad."

"And can you blame me? If only we could tell the others. We won our little celebrity hunt our first night here."

"And we promised not to-"

"Oh, I know. I said 'if only'. Wouldn't do that to a lovely man like him." She paused, a new idea coming to mind. "But the moment we get back home…"

They came off the lift and went into their room as Sophie ended her speech, leaving no detail of the night unwhispered. Once in the room, they each took a quick shower while the other drank a hot cup of tea. Makenzie stared out the window into the back ally, old buildings and cobblestone making London real to them. This evening had actually happened and her long dream of a London holiday maintained a reality. All was calm and quiet until Sophie released a heavy sigh of contentment.
"Well, I won't forget today," she yawed with a fraction of her smile from before.

"It will be rather impossible to, won't it?" the girl at the window grinned to herself, wondering if she had imagined that sparkle in his eyes. Then again, it was Benedict Cumberbatch. His eyes probably always sparkled. Such an incredible man.

Both had been in bed for several minutes and Sophie had even began to snore. Makenzie was almost asleep when her mobile buzzed beside her. Someone from an unknown number had texted. Immediately, she anticipated the unpleasant late night wrong number.

-Was just making sure Sophie was alright.

They hadn't seen anyone and no one had been watching them, as far as she knew. Her pulse rose a bit. With a tight stomach, she began to question who could have seen them that would have her number. Perhaps it was Professor Thick. Maybe the man at the desk had said something about the half mad giggly girl.

-Who is this?

They only took a few seconds to respond with a picture. It was a picture of Benedict that she hadn't seen before. It looked as if it had been taken from a phone but several of those had been going around fansites lately. Whoever this was, they had made the connection between her and the famous actor.

-Whoever you are, you have the wrong number. Please don't text again.

It had been a long day and she just wanted to sleep- mostly to replay the evening in her mind over and over until she passed out. Her mobile began to buzz again, this time a call. The same number from the texts was on the screen, testing her patience. She was now fully awake and didn't want to wake Sophie when she yelled at whoever was keeping her from the best dream of her life. Quickly and quietly, she jumped out of bed and left the room.

"Who is this?" she hissed walking towards the staircase for privacy.

"Is this Makenzie Daniels?"

"This is really funny and all but-"

"It's me." She suddenly recognized the voice. But it couldn't be. "I promise, it's me."

When she finally processed the texts and voice she whispered, "Benedict?"

The deep familiar chuckle from the interviews rang in her ear. Her heart was pounding but it was now for a very different reason. He had only dropped them off about forty-five minutes ago.

"Yes, and it's Ben, please," he asked while ending his rich light laughter.

"I feel like a complete idiot," she confessed, the largest grin and deepest blush of the night filling her face.

"No need to. A strange number calls in the middle of the night. I should be the one apologizing." He was acting so casual.

"Absolutely not. I just- How did you get my number, if you don't mind me asking." She was completely caught off guard and confused.

"I had someone look you up. Hope you don't mind. I was just worried about-"

"Sophie is fine," she said before the smallest of giggles. If only Sophie knew what was going on now. "I think meeting her celebrity crush at a significant place was too much to process."

"I've heard of worse things happening," he teased, his voice still light and warm on the other end.
They fell silent for a few moments before she worked the nerve to ask, "Was that all?"

"Yes. Was just making sure the two of you had made if up to your rooms alright."

"Thank you. Everything is fine. Very kind of you to ask." She cringed from her voice and phrases sounding so childish.

"Then I should let you sleep. I obviously woke you then gave you a scare."

"Well, thank you for the scare. It was more than worth the few minutes of sleep," she teased. "So… good night. I suppose." What else could she say? She had already been on cloud nine before this most unexpected phone call. Now, she was soaring through the heavens.

"Sleep well, Miss Daniels," he replied so sweetly. She almost removed the devise from her ear when he added, "And be expecting to hear from me again. Tomorrow perhaps."

"Oh?" She panicked. No words came to the English major's brain. No clever sentence or witty remark. With a stomach full of nerves she sighed, "Then I'll be waiting. Good night, Ben."

The line clicked before she felt as if she were going to faint from sheer joy. Not only had he thought up an excuse to call her but he actually went through with finding and dialing the number. She wrestled with herself about telling her best friend about the ridiculous happening but told herself to decide tomorrow. This had been the best day of her life and she couldn't wait to begin the best night of sleep. Maybe he would stay true to his word and call. Maybe he wouldn't. But she was satisfied in knowing that she was one of a very small number of girls, fans even, who had ever been called by the wonderful Benedict Cumberbatch.
♠ ♠ ♠
Like Sherlock? Read my awesome fanfic! http://www.mibba.com/Stories/Read/486578/Sherlock/