Status: While writing my other Sherlock story, I thought this would be fun. Heaven forbid I work on one project at a time. ENJOY AND COMMENT!

Starcrossed

Winter Memories

"Alright, ladies. Present your secret Santa gifts!" the headmaster cheered.

Since the children usually demanded each second of attention the closer it got to break, the faculty parties the Monday before break. It was a melancholy day for Makenzie for many reasons. This was her last week of teaching for a while, after school she would have to refill her medicine prescription for the first time, it had been almost two weeks since she had seen Benedict, and not much seemed to be going right these days. The only thing that kept her going was the couple of Skype sessions they had shared since the forth of December. Now, on the sixteenth, she felt as if her world was spinning down a dark spiral against every bit of her will.

"Oh, Jane, here's your gift," she told her passing peer, eager to speak to one of the male teachers. It was only a candle but, then again, they didn't talk much. Jane uttered a quick word of thanks then continued.

"Makenzie, this is for you," Marie grinned while holding up a medium sized box.

Marie was just a year or two older than Kenz and they had become very close since August. Marie had been the one to help her when she needed it most on the new job. They had shared many laughs during their lunch breaks, usually about their boyfriends- which Makenzie made up a name for hers. Her new friend was the first to offer any sort of help when Makenzie told the teachers her horrible medical news. When the others simply looked at her as if she had just died before their eyes, it was Marie who approached her afterwards and gave some priceless advice. Her aunt had something similar so she had a better understanding of what the brand new teacher was going through. Yes, Marie was by far her personal favorite of the staff.

"I'm so glad it was you," Kenz returned the warm friendly expression she needed so much today. She tore through the beautiful red and green paper to a box decorated in London stickers, her favorite city in the world. Their giddy eyes met once more before Kenz opened the lid of the deep package.

Her heart stopped for what seemed several seconds when she realized what she held.

"The kids wanted to let you know how much the cared. Things this bloody school system won't allow to be said properly. I only wish we could send you off with more of our love."

"When did they do these?" It was against the rules for the students to make something for their teachers on school time- despite how desperate the situation."

"Some made them at home, others came before or after school, and a few brave souls made them during reading hour."

Tears filled Makenzie's eyes. The package full of handmade cards was more than she could have ever prepared herself for. Everything from "We'll miss you" to "You were my favorite teacher this year" pulled at hear heart strings. It was such a lovely gesture and the day she needed a smile most.

"The little buggers are going to miss you. And so will I."

Makenzie wasted no time in pulling her friend in for a hug. They held eachother for many silent seconds, neither needing words to say what they needed to.

"We'll see more of eachother. I promise," Makenzie grinned.

"Agreed!"

---

At the end of the day, once all of her pupils and most of the staff were gone, Makenzie pulled out the tiny familiar box from the top desk drawer and pulled her mother's ring, now her ring, from the velvet square. She put her engagement ring on with a small grin. When everything else was wrong, just the thought of being his, forever, made her feel worlds better. But today she needed much more than a promise made days ago to get her through. Not even the thought of being the much envied Mrs. Cumberbatch would get her through the night.

The drive home was almost impossible, especially after picking up her medicine. She put on a brave face, as always, but inside she was at war with herself. If only she could keep her composure until she walked into her room. Then she'd have a good cry about everything she'd been holding in for the last several days. There was one light on in the front room when she pulled in next to her house. Grabbing the box from the passenger seat, Makenzie already felt the familiar sting of tears to come. She couldn't let Sophie see her like this. Since her best friend's car wasn't in its place, she knew she had time to gather herself before facing anyone. It was still just 5:30. Plenty of time.

Her purse and the box were thrown onto the sofa before she made a beeline for her room. When she opened the door, she was completely shocked.

"Hello you," Ben grinned from the bed, wearing nothing but red velvet boxers and a Santa hat.

Kenzie's coat fell from her hands onto the floor. At first, he took her silence as a good sign; his surprise clearly took her off guard. Then, he noticed that rare expression growing on her face. Instead of laughing and immediately jumping him as she often did, Makenzie Daniels's lip began to quiver. A tear finally made its way down her cheek just before she took a deep breath.

"If you had done this yesterday, I would be attacking you right now. If you had come the day before yesterday, you would have gotten very lucky indeed." Her lithe body trembled then she continued. "But you waited until tonight. But you came today- the worst day I've had yet. So now, you have a bitchy fiancé! I feel like hell, my kids are worried about me, my last day is Friday, and I refuse to be the patient that watches as my life turns to rubbish all around me."

They should have been kissing by now. He should have been taking her clothes off one piece at a time whispering of how much he missed her. But this wasn't any normal day. How had ne not seen this coming? Why didn't he think to be more sensitive? Way to cock it up, Benedict, he thought to himself with sheer disappointment. The man rose from his attempt of a sexy position and made his way to her as quickly as possible.

"I'm so sorry, Makenzie." His hands wiped away the stray curls around her face. "I should have gotten here this morning, when you needed me." She allowed him to pull her close to his chest. With a deep sigh he cursed himself. "I wasn't here when you needed me."

"You came as soon as you could."

"No, I could have gotten here before you left for work."

"You were probably exhausted."

"Like you are now?" He hissed, obviously angry with himself and not her. "Let me get dressed. Meet you in the kitchen?"

"I'll put the kettle on."

The instant she left his arms, he felt an overwhelming feeling of failure. After all he had just done with the premieres and promotions, he failed in the area it mattered most. That was the minute he decided to stay true to his vow to put her first. He knew that today was going to be difficult for her yet failed to think enough ahead to deduce that a Santa shag after work wasn't what she needed. Makenzie had needed him to comfort and encourage her before she started the horrible day. And he'd messed it all up.

When he found her in the living area, she was going through a box of colored paper. She'd turned on the Christmas tree lights and was already lost in her own little world, sniffing every now and then. Of course the stubborn girl was fighting the sobs she'd no doubt been fighting all day. Ben sat behind her, her body between his legs, then wrapped his arms around her waist. His lips pressed against her shoulder followed by a deep breath. She could feel the cotton of his long sleeve shirt and the soft denim as her arm brushed his leg.

"What's that?"

"My kids made me some get well cards," she whispered.

"That's lovely. I thought they weren't allowed to-"

"My teacher mate found a loop-hole," his girl managed a soft laugh. "Marie. She's wonderful."

He read over her shoulder until each card had been read. Each card was admired, read, then put onto one of two piles on top of the box's lid. The system was repeated nearly fifty times, lots of love from many of her students. Once the cards were in their proper place and the box's lid was put back on, his fiancé leaned back into his chest. Her arms wrapped around his loose hold around her.

"Hold me," she whispered.

Benedict obeyed without a word. The young woman finally began to cry into his shoulder, twisting her body against him until he was holding her like a babe. Another minute passed before he grabbed her waist and turned her completely around to face him. Her thighs wrapped around his hips as her head dove into his chest. Ben's large warm hands soothingly rubbed her back. Instead of asking her to stop, he simply let her cry into him as long as she needed to. When her soft sobs had died down, their eyes met.

Her heart sank at the sight of him also crying. No, he was supposed to be alright. He'd just come home from every actor's dream premiere. This was supposed to be the happiest fortnight of his life, millions of people buying tickets and pulling strings just to catch a glimpse of him. But then she was reminded of the reason for their worries. If it hadn't been for her sickness, their lives would be perfect right now- well, as close to perfect as possible.

"I don't want to die," she suddenly whispered.

Taking her pink face into his hands, Ben pushed his forehead to her then closed his eyes. What did one say to such a statement? How had she been so brave for this long? Had it been him, he would have locked himself in his room for a while to even accept the news. Makenzie, however, had been going to work and living her life as normal as possible. Her performance had been so spot on that it took her telling him that something was wrong before he knew. She deserved the BAFTAs and acting awards.

"Where's Sophie?" She wiped the tears from her eyes forcing herself to be alright again.

"I told her that I was going to surprise you so she said she would stay at her boyfriend's place." It was said in an almost whisper, far too soft for his normal speaking voice.

"Hey." Her small fingers lifted his chin up so their eyes could meet again. "I'm stubborn remember? I'm not letting this thing beat me. People win this fight every day."

Despite her optimistic words, his frown only deepened. Her questioning eyes of jade forced an explanation from his heart-shaped lips.

"I can't lose you," Benedict breathed. "I just can't."

Makenzie wrapped her arms around him and held him for what seemed hours. Those several minutes ticked by slowly as each became lost in a sea of worry. Both hearts raced and ached for the passing of this trial. They were still at the start of this race against time, the worst still to come and a final conclusion too far away to see. It was when his sharp breathing relaxed a bit before she spoke again.

"How long are you here for?"

"Makenzie Daniels, I'm all yours until New Years."

He slightly pulled away to see her reaction. It was the first time she had smiled so wide in days. The thought of a fortnight with him made her heart fly. Their time together was much needed and was here at exactly the right time. Kenzie touched her nose to his then brushed her lips against the lips of the man she loved.

"Brilliant," she whispered, her arms still wrapped around his neck.

"Is that tea ready yet?"

"Blimey! Forgot to turn the damned thing on."

They held hands to the kitchen then put the tea on for the second time that night. The lovers kissed and held one another until the kettle began to whistle. Ben stood behind her and kissed her neck as she poured the boiling water into large mugs, his hands caressing the skin of her hips beneath her blouse.

"You'll be here the rest of the week but I'm not sure how much Sophie will be home. This could be our only night to-"

"We don't have to," Ben gently announced before kissing her cheek. "If she's here and the mood strikes us, Brighton is only a short train ride away. A night beside the ocean may do you some good."

"We'll see." Her quick nod was more than a simple agreement. The small gesture also silently informed him that she was feeling much better emotionally than when they had first met this evening. "I'm thinking a cuppa or two, then maybe we can give eachother a backrub, then bed?"

"Or," he began with a twinkle in his eye, "I could give you your second surprise."

"The first did interest me, just so you know." She needed to say it, just to keep his ego high and their emotions on the same page. If they had been under any other circumstances, things would have been different.

"Come here and bring your mug," he grinned, eyes brighter than they'd been all night.

They sat on the sofa as he muddled around with the remotes.

"What's all this about then?

"Just another…" Benedict pressed the last button that made the DVD player begin to hum. He grabbed the sofa blanket then wrapped them both snug together. "And play," he smirked, rather smugly she noticed.

Steven Moffat was suddenly on her screen looking rather humored as he began, "Hello, Makenzie. Benedict told us about your horrible news so we all decided to give you something in hopes that it would cheer you up." Her body tensed with hope and excitement as he paused. "Benedict begged us before the premiere to make this so… hope you enjoy. Tell anyone about this, and Mark and I will personally come find you," he laughed. "Enjoy, dear."

"This isn't-" she gasped while turning around to face her lover.

"I wanted you to be there the other night so bad it hurt. So, I thought I'd bring it to you since you couldn't come to it."

"Benedict!" She jumped into his arms and squealed as the screen went black for a few seconds.

Once she was settled into his arms as before, the first episode of the third season began to play on her telly. Ben's chest was high and nerves were on end, hoping that she'd approve. She watched with eyes glued to the screen. Every once and a while, he'd tell her what footage was filmed when she was on or near the set. Once scene she recognized from Gower Street and she remembered him telling her something about another scene as the plot unfolded before her eyes. From the first minute to the last, she sighed, gasped, and commented on how perfect everything was. The end credits began as she turned in his arms again, letting the familiar music continue.

"I love you," she announced with pride and awe. "You are the most gifted and brilliant man I've ever known."

He was too humbled to speak. She thought so much of him without the slightest clue that she had been his very inspiration. Had he not met her that week in London, he wouldn't be the man he was in that moment. She made him his best, she inspired and set a flame of passion to all areas of his life, and he would never be able to put his thanks into words.

"And you are the most incredible human being I have or will ever know. Honestly and truly, you are everything anyone could ever need and more than anyone could ever dream of."
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading and staying with me through the rough chapters. Man, how awesome would it be to be snuggled up with Ben, on your sofa, drinking tea, watching a private copy of the first episode?! If only. I doubt Moffat and Mark would allow such a think to happen, but its a nice thought. lol. Hopefully another chapter will be posted before Christmas. You all are amazingly loyal and it means the world to me. Don't forget to comment!