Status: While writing my other Sherlock story, I thought this would be fun. Heaven forbid I work on one project at a time. ENJOY AND COMMENT!

Starcrossed

Christmas (Part 1)

She woke up Christmas Eve morning wrapped tightly in his arms. Every detail of the moment was taken in, from the sounds of his breathing pattern to the way his arm hairs tickled her skin. Would this be her last Christmas? Would they wake up one Christmas morning to little ones jumping excitedly on their bed? Was this the beginning or the end? Perhaps the beginning of the end. Only time would tell and she wasn't sure that she had enough time to find out.

Makenzie turned in his arms so that their chests were against eachother. Gently, the girl began to play with his long curls. Her fingers moved down his cheek to feel the stubble of his jaw and chin. His closed eyes began to twitch as one corner of his mouth crept up into a slight grin. That was when her lips caressed his cheek, down to his chin, just below his ear, lower to his neck, then back up to brush against his lips.

His long deep hum brought a grin to her own face, eager for the memory that was only seconds away. Ben's arms pulled her tighter against his body as he forced himself awake, completely content. Kenzie's kisses repeated their pattern until he surprised her with a deeper kiss than she had expected.

"My angel," he breathed between kisses, rolling onto his back and keeping her on top of his chest.

They kissed with blissful passion until her alarm went off, startling them both into a quiet laughter. This only drove them on to continue the romantic morning. She pulled his hair while moving around to straddle him. His hands slid up her thighs to her slender waist, balancing her where she was. The pair continued their kisses until Sophie knocked on the door.

"Are you two up?"

"Yeah, we'll be out in a bit," Makenzie called with high hopes that her best friend wouldn't walk in on them.

"No making Christmas babies. Got that?" the giggling blonde teased.

"Go away, Sophie!" Makenzie laughed just before stretching down against her fiancé.

"Oh, do that again and we'll have to meet her at Gran's," Ben softly moaned next to her ear.

"Fine by me," she replied in that sensual tone that drove him mad.

The sudden and slight grinding of her core against his made his light eyes roll back then his own body react to the intimate movement. It was as if their bodies were conversing for a few moments.

"No, no, no," he finally sighed. "We have a busy day."

"No need to rush things, my love," she sweetly argued, almost getting her way so easily.

"Later tonight then," Benedict offered.

"Fine," the girl pouted. "But I'm keeping you to your word, Mr. Cumberbatch."

"If you think you'd be up for a rough Christmas shag, future Mrs. Cumberbatch."

Gran's house was decorated to the nines. The lovers, Sophie, Makenzie's dad, and Gran all helped out in the kitchen while grinning and joking with one another. By noon, the food was prepared and everyone had taken a seat at the table.

"Looks great, mum," James grinned at his dear, sweet old mother.

"Quite right. Everything smells fantastic!" Benedict added in as the girls stifled their giggles; he was trying too hard again.

"It's nothing posh, Ben." She paused, her face turning from humble to cheeky in an instant. "But I bet it'll taste better than anything they have at Buckingham." Everyone shared a hearty laugh at Sherlock's new facial expression.

Everyone waited for the newest member of the family to take his first bite. His eyes bulged and all chewing paused. His attention was fully put on Gran before he gave her a pleasant smirk of thanks.

He politely covered his mouth with his hand but still managed, "This is incredible!"

"The 'common wealth' has all the best recipes," Sophie teased, exchanging humored glances with her bestfriend.

When everyone was completely full, the women began putting everything in various sized plastic bowls. James and Benedict made their way into the front room with steaming mugs of tea in hand. The men took their seats on the sofa and both groaned in sweet agony in unison.

"Excellent meal. I can't remember having something so delicious in ages," Ben sighed, his hand on his stomach.

"Mum doesn't take Christmas lightly," James sighed in the same pleasant manner. They were lost in their own thoughts for a short while before James suddenly spoke. "She finally said yes, then." It was said more than asked.

"She did. And I couldn't be more happy." The carefree phrase had been spoken too soon. "Well, other than-" His voice trailed off as they were reminded of the dire situation everyone had been ignoring all day. "I've never believed in Christmas miracles. But this year just may be the exception."

"All we can do is wait and see," the tortured father replied in a pained whisper, the happy mood completely vanished. "I just can't help asking myself if this will be her last-"

"Anyone ready for dessert?" a giddy Makenzie called from the hallway.

"Not just yet, love," Mr. Daniels called back, doing his very best to sound bright and chipper at a moment's notice.

"Just say when!" She was happy today but everyone had noticed her tired eyes and unusually slouched posture. The signs were showing more and more each day.

"Hell," James breathed, rubbing his eyes full of uncertainty.

"I don't ever want to push her beyond her limits but… You've raised the strongest person I know." Benedict wasn't sure if he had said it more for himself or for his worried future father-in-law. "If anyone can come out of it, she can."

"Perhaps. I'm not too hopeful for novelties of life at this point. I just want my little girl to be healthy again. That's all I seem to be passionate about these days." He suddenly gave Ben's knee a gentle slap before the forced smile returned to his weary face. "But! Until then, all we can do is be strong for her so she can be strong for us. Encourage not criticize. Allow her independence for as long as possible. Keep her moments of weakness as drama free as possible. And be everything she needs us to be."

Benedict was amazed at the love this man showed for his daughter each and every day. They were undeniably close before she was sick- even he recognized that. James Daniels's life had one purpose as of late, getting Makenzie through this and back to health. The two went together and never one without the other. She was the man's world, no one could argue. The older man shifted in preparation to stand, giving Benedict a few more seconds to ask the question that had been on his tongue.

"What did you mean when you said 'novelties of life'? What kind of novelties?" He thought he already knew the answer but needed to hear the other man say it.

Now standing with a distant look in his eyes, James gave a sad half grin, "I want to walk her down the aisle as much as she wants me to. And maybe, if fate is kind, we'll have a few more mouths to feed in Christmases to come." James made his way out of the front room but heard the man on the sofa whisper one word.

"Grandchildren," Ben whispered to himself, the very thought causing a mixture of joy and devastation in his heart of hearts.

He'd been accepted as Makenzie's fiancé before today. But now, James had accepted the possibility of becoming a grandfather. Even if something went horribly wrong between himself and his girl, there was something sweet about her father accepting that his daughter had moved into the next chapter of her life. A new voice echoed off the walls as Makenzie met her father in the hallway just seconds later.

"Are the pair of you getting along, then?"

The pause made the celebrity quite nervous until a tender reply was given.

"I never thought I'd say this but, that man just may be the answer to my every prayer for you."

It sounded like they embraced, a soft shuffling of material and soft affectionate grunts.

"He's the second best man on the planet," her soft smiling voice announced. Ben imagined her blue eyes shining into her fathers.

"I love you, Kenzie," James hummed as if she were still in his arms.

"Love you, daddy."

More shuffling of clothes prepared Benedict for his future bride's entrance into the room. The father daughter moment had passed too soon. He quickly wiped his eyes, just in case. James's words echoed in his head about being strong. She couldn't find him sitting there teary eyed from overhearing sentimental conversation. Instead of watching her walk into the room, he pretended to be deep in thought while staring at nothing- half of the truth. He finally flinched at the touch of her small hand on his shoulder.

"What's going on in that head of yours then?" his dying girl said with a smile. Benedict was doing well in keeping his composure until she placed her head on the spot her hand had just occupied. Such a simple touch brought such a strong wave of emotions.

He looked down at her with as much a smile as he could muster and whispered, "Just thinking." After a pause, the man kissed her forehead before adding, "I've never had this sort of Christmas before. It's always been grand tea parties, posh guests, and who can dazzle who the most. There was always love and good memories but…" Their eyes met again. "I fancy your kind of Christmas. Slow paced, unplanned, just family, sentimental."

She playfully put her nose to his and teased, "And we haven't even opened gifts yet."

"We could leave right now and I would be satisfied," he choked a small laugh, so happy but scared all at once.

"Come and have a lie down with me? I won't make it through the evening if I don't rest now."

He pressed a tender kiss to her lips, rubbing her neck with a slightly trembling hand. When their gazes met next, neither could speak the identical thoughts burdening their minds.

"Of course," Ben whispered.

They went into Gran's guest bedroom and managed to fit comfortably on the standard single bed. Once their bodies were pressed against eachother, Ben's arms wrapped around her. Though he was hiding his nerves for the moment, she heard each of his fears as if he had been speaking them all day.

"I love you, Makenzie" he whispered, twisting one of her stray curls around his finger.

Her body balled into him as much as possible. She was already half asleep and couldn't manage more than a soft hum as reply.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm horrible for not posting in so long. Was going to make the chapter longer but decided to post as a part 1. Two more days guys! Who is ecstatic?! Me too! Another bitter-sweet chapter. Going a bit slower than I imagined but most of you don't mind. Happy New Year! Enjoy episode one of SEASON 3! #SherlockLives