Status: While writing my other Sherlock story, I thought this would be fun. Heaven forbid I work on one project at a time. ENJOY AND COMMENT!

Starcrossed

Cristmas Mischief

Ben slowly looked down at Makenzie in confusion, having no idea which decision his mother was referring to.

"We made the decision a while back to protect eachother." Her eyes met his, so full of trust and assurance. "And that's not going to change tonight. The future is still too uncertain and we want as little public attention as possible."

The mother glanced towards her son, who had put everything together after his fiancé's last statement. His smile took her off guard but she had gotten her answer. It was then that the elder noticed the white silken gloves on Kenzie's arms, hiding the diamond ring that would have been their undoing. She should have known; the clever girl had been prepared for anything tonight.

"You've chosen a rather extraordinary young woman, Benedict," she smiled at them both with wise gentle eyes. "Anyone else would have been screaming the news from every rooftop in London."

"Well, she's not every other girl," the man smirked, pulling the love of his life closer into him. "And we've both been wanting to share the news… Just not yet. As she said, there are still things we need to get through, privately." He released his girl to embrace his mother. "Besides... I had someone teach me what a proper woman ought to be. The waiting for her was the most difficult part."

As he kissed her adoringly on the cheek, she giggled, "Snake charmer! Flatterer! Go dance with your date!"

"With pleasure."

The lovers left the still grinning woman hand in hand, looking like two teenagers at their first adult party. Yes, they were a handsome couple indeed. If only the clock would grant them enough time. And they would make beautiful grandchildren, Wanda thought with a blissful chuckle to herself.

"Aren't they brilliant?!" asked a familiar low voice with hands snaking around her waist without warning.

"Quite," she sighed. It was the perfect night to feel young and more alive than she had in ages. "Tim, dear. Don't they remind you of another couple?"

"James Bond and-"

"No!" she laughed with a single light punch to his chest.

"Let's see…" Tim squinted, making a show of answering her simple question and attempt to be romantic. "Good looking bloke spinning a feisty young beautiful thing around the dance floor?" He paused with his own cheeky expression of remembrance. "Never seen them before in my life."

"Nevermind, you barmy thing," Wanda belly laughed, pulling him towards the floor to join the other lovely spinning couples.

On the glossy wooden ballroom floor, Ben lead Makenzie in a number of blissful circles. They shared little jokes and sweet remarks remaining completely focused on one another. He returned the kind greetings of familiar faces and old family friends. Their dancing was only paused for a few faces Makenzie recognized as members of London's high society; Ben paid his respects without complaint and with minimal aggravation for the sake of his family's reputation. A few jealous females came around to say hello- and to see exactly who Benedict was carrying on his arm with such pride. They both enjoyed each look of shock that she wasn't someone in the public eye. His girl remained as mysterious as a real life Cinderella the night she met her prince.

"Tonight's going by without a single problem. Should I be prepared for any surprises?"

"If you were prepared, it wouldn't be a surprise. Now would it?" he teased before another one of his slick slow dancing moves. His eyes just caught the her as one would a snake in the grass, for that's precisely what she was. Benedict pulled Makenzie against his chest then whispered, "Did you have a childhood rival? The little terror living just down the street type?"

"Maggie Smith, all of grade school. Hated her." Makenzie replied with a deadly eye roll, remembering all the most important occurrences between them in a matter of seconds. She hadn't caught on just yet but noticed her man's suddenly stiff form.

She was just steps away, not enough time to warn Kenzie.

"Well, mine was Rachel Lampton!" He said her name as a greeting but his clever girl put two and two together just in the nick of time. "I didn't expect you to be here tonight."

"I never miss the annual Christmas party if I can help it! You know that, Benny."

Benny. Yes, he loathed the particular nickname just because of the way she had tortured him with it for years. He would rather anyone else he disliked be there—any three or four—so long as RachelLampton wasn't in attendance. But that wasn't the way his luck went with family and private social events. That was life for you, the ones you never wanted to see again were the ones that came every year without fail.

"Everyone has been eying your guest all night. I couldn't help sneaking a peek or two myself. You are stunning," her giddy soprano complimented the elegant stranger.

"I'm Makenzie. Just Ben's date," Makenzie all too humbly answered, putting as little attention on herself as possible.

"Haven't seen you around. What do you do?"

"I'm an English teacher in Sussex," his girl replied with satisfaction. Make this woman want to climb the walls would be too easily done if Makenzie willed it.

Rachel wasn't expecting such a quaint answer from the pretty little nobody. Where did Benedict find this one? Was the date for some charity or other common good cause? That would be something he'd do, wouldn't it?

"A teacher? Glamorous in its own right, I suppose," the falsely pleasant Barbie chuckled, doing her very best to make his date nervous. After giving her another one over, Rachel sighed, "She's no Olivia but she may eventually fit- no offense, Mikaela."

"Luckily, fame hasn't gotten to me yet. I simply fell into a few circles without having the obligations that usually accompany such honors." She couldn't help a hidden cheeky smirk before sweetly adding, "Besides, fame has a way of turning the most promising young women into such bitches."

Benedict tightened his lips as much as possible to stifle the laugh threatening to erupt from him. His humored light eyes fell to the ground for the few seconds it took to regain his composure. He would have to repay his clever girl for that one later. He looked up just in time to see Rachel's dumfounded expression fade.

Placing a hand in the small of Makenzie's back, he gave a nod, "Merry Christmas, Rachel."

The two walked away hiding their giggles and smiles until completely out of hearing distance. Both hearts were already flying before Benedict lead them into a less crowded part of the room, spun her around on her heels, then gave her a playfully deep kiss. When they parted, she was beaming and he was equally excited.

"I can't believe you!" he laughed, grin wide and eyes full of admiration.

"Why not? One of us should be allowed to have a bit of fun with her. If it couldn't be you, why not me? No reason I couldn't have fun for the both of us."

Their flirty stares lasted longer than usual then he whispered, "I love you."

"How sweet. And I love you," Tom Hiddleston teased from the nearest entrance, coming their way.

"I figured you'd have somewhere posh to be tonight," Ben chuckled with heavy sarcasm.

"I couldn't pass the opportunity to steal this diamond away from you for a dance or two," his charming peer explained. He took Makenzie's hand from Ben then kissed her knuckles, impressed how well she was hiding her obvious fangirl moment- he and Ben had both become masters of recognizing a fangirl. "May I have this dance Miss Daniels?"

She started to correct him. You mean future Mrs. Cumberbatch, she wanted to say. Instead she passed Ben one of her cheeky dazzling smiles.

"Certainly. It's about time someone entirely handsome asked me to dance."

Her little wink towards Ben made him long for her in an instant.

---

They were both too tired to do anything but sleep when they returned to their room that night; the lovers, Tom, and another of Benedict's best mates all snuck out an hour before the event ended to run around London for a while. The four joked, challenged, and dared eachother until dawn's first light; the perfect end to a somewhat stressful day. Benedict was able to jump back into the groove of things, lack of sleep being a regular part of his life. Makenzie however didn't feel so well that next morning, that night, or the next.

Despite the large amounts of time they were spending together, he knew what was bothering her. Christmas Eve and Christmas Day made anyone tired. But she had obviously over done it. How hadn't he known he was pushing her too far, making her do too much? If she became sicker, it would be his fault- at least, that's how he would feel.

She sat in a one of the front windows of his London flat watching the cabs and cyclists go by. One of his sofa blankets was wrapped around her gradually shrinking frame. How much longer until she was too frail, too delicate, to have multiple good days? It was a thought he still couldn't manage to dwell on for long without choking up. It was all too soon. Did he let her rest as much as possible or keep her as busy as possible while she was still mobile?

With light steps he approached her. She was too lost in her own little world to notice their proximity. Ben took her hand and pushed the soft palm to his lips as she turned her head of curls to look at him. Their dim eyes met, both trying to be brave with no avail. The conversation always seemed louder when kept silent.

"Will you feel up to anything in two nights?"

A tired but genuine smile was her reply. His brave girl. Attempting the impossible just because he wished it. How much braver could anyone be? Makenzie had become the very figure of strength and hope.

"Planning something for New Years then?"

"Only if you'll feel like it."

"I've been feeling better each day. Should be back to normal by then."

It was a lie they both accepted with grace. She wouldn't be "back to normal" for months to come. But she had managed to trick herself into believing, something he couldn't bring himself to argue just yet. He'd keep a close eye on her all night. She could disappear whenever she wanted to nap or have a few minutes alone- or with him. He'd only invite their closest friends. It would be perfect. She deserved nothing less.

"I'll make the calls tonight." This kiss he placed on her forehead told her not to worry about a single detail of the evening. He started to walk away when she pulled on his hand.

"Just what do you have up your sleeve, Mr. Cumberbatch?"

"A surprise. A few, in fact."

The man practically skipped off like a child who had just received good news. At least that's how she made him feel.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for sticking with me. These extra scenes are necessary, I promise! Hope your first few days of 2014 have been nothing short of lovely =) Let me know what you think. Love hearing from you guys!