Status: While writing my other Sherlock story, I thought this would be fun. Heaven forbid I work on one project at a time. ENJOY AND COMMENT!

Starcrossed

Close One

He followed the woman through the door and down a series of halls. Couldn't she walk faster? His girl could be gone at any moment for all he knew and she was walking as if taking a stroll through Hyde Park! Ben almost voiced his frustration when the nurse stopped at a door, apologizing once more for the delay. But he didn't respond. James and Gran were walking towards him with half smiles.

"She's alright for now," James breathed, eyes red from the initial crying session of the reunion he'd missed. The man placed his hand on Ben's cheek for just a moment, the most affectionate exchange between them yet.

"We'll give the two of you a few minutes," Gran whispered.

The lovely old woman hadn't slept all night and was feeling the consequences now. She looked tired and frail, in need of a few long hours in a warm cozy bed. But she had refused to stay home while her granddaughter suffered in London. She gave him a kiss where James's hand had just been.

If there had been any doubt in him before, it vanished. He was marrying into one of the best families in all the world, second only to his own. They would be there for him when he needed them. It was now a fact, not just a hope or wishful expectation.

Once everyone walked away, he turned his gaze to the angel laying in the hospital bed. The sight immediately took all breath from his lungs. His Makenzie was still extremely pale. Wires filled the area around her but no breathing tubes- a good sign. His medical knowledge was hardly enough to keep himself up and going during a cold but this was a different matter altogether. Even with the hours of Google research, he was still lost when it came to all this.

He had never seen her so helpless. The bravest and strongest person he knew couldn't have stood on her own two feet without help, at the moment. No one could say what the rest of the day held. The brown curls he adored were still pulled back the way Amanda had fixed it before the drive here. A gentle rhythm of her pulse was a soft beep noise on a machine, one he had heard so many times on various sets and very rarely in real life.

It wasn't until her eyes fluttered open that a bit of relief coursed through his veins.

"I know you," she whispered, unable to speak any louder. "You're the Sherlock bloke everyone around here is going on about," she grinned with exhausted features.

Benedict wasted no time in kissing her forehead, a small hum coming from her slightly parted lips.

"I thought I was losing you," he admitted, unable to hold tears back.

Makenzie's hand found his neck, her thumb drawing light circles into his skin as she stared up at him. She couldn't bear the pain in those always bright eyes. The trembling and hitching of his voice turned her stomach. His heated skin told of the immense fear he was trying to hide- trying to be brave for her.

"Oh, my love," she sighed. "It's going to get much worse before you lose me." Her words made them both shutter. "The Doctor said I'm going into the next stage but there is still a chance. If they can figure it out in the next few weeks, I should be fine again. It'll just take a little time."

"What did they say all this was about?" He closed his eyes in a moment of obvious emotion. "I pushed you too far. All the Christmas traveling, nerves, and fucking parties," he bitterly snarled to himself, tears now a steady stream.

She quickly took his face in her hands to force his eyes to hers.

"Hey now. I told you." An almost smile. "I didn't do anything more than I wanted to. I wanted you to have Christmas with my family and I wasn't about to miss that Christmas ball for the world." She paused, her hands too tired to stay against his damp face. Ben took her hand into his then held them against his chest, keeping the contact without her tiring herself from it. "I was too optimistic. Should have just had a quiet New Years," she thought aloud with roaming eyes. "But, live and learn."

"I can't cancel my Sherlock stuff this month," he whispered, hating the very thought. "I want to be by your side every last minute until you are better," he whimpered, still afraid of the future.

"This is why I didn’t want to-" No. They had come so far since that. Neither found it easy to talk about so they hadn't mentioned it in weeks. But now, everything was as clear as ever. Life and chance were not on their side. "It would have been so much easier for you to walk away. You wouldn't have had to worry like this and dread highlights of your career. This is one of the most important days of your life, Ben. Your long awaited show air tonight. And you're starting what should be a celebrated day in a hospital waiting around on your fading fiancé."

"Don't you dare apologize. Do you understand?" His voice was still gentle but stern. "I knew this was all going to be part of it. Didn't know the details of exactly how I would feel or what would happen but I chose this road. I chose you, Makenzie. Come hell or high water, remember? I'm not leaving now."

"You better not," she tried to laugh, eyes brightening but the rest of her face and body unable to join. "I gave you your last chance to back out on me. You declined," his girl teased.

"Without a second thought," he added, assuring her that he wasn't leaving.

Kenzie took a deep breath as she changed positions on the bed, moving over to let him join. Ben looked out the window to see a disapproving nurse return his reluctant stare. The entire staff knew he was there by now. Things had gotten too dramatic not to earn unwanted recognition. Being a celebrity would be the only thing keeping him in her room.

"I need to go back home when I leave here," she whispered.

"I know." He still couldn't make up his mind whether or not to join her on the bed or take care of the others. "How would you feel about me taking your dad and Gran back to my place to rest a bit? She's trying to stay awake but-"

"No, that's a wonderful idea." Even while she was lying helplessly in a hospital bed, her first concern was her family's comfort. Amazing. "Please do. Give her your bed, change the sheets and all. And dad can have a guest room, yeah? They can have my key until they leave so you can do whatever you need to do today."

Her words shocked him, took his breath away.

"How could you possibly think I'd rather be anywhere else today?" She was being selfless to a fault. "I'll take care of them then I'll be right back."

"No. You need your rest too."

"I'm not leaving you for the day."

"Take care of them. I'm feeling a little better and will probably be sleeping all day myself."

The rude nurse poked her head into the room with another apologetic expression.

"I'm terribly sorry Mr. Cumberbatch but visiting hours aren't technically until-"

"He was just leaving, Pam," Makenzie announced with a half grin, trapping him into her will. "He was just going out to do a few things for me while I sleep."

Pam nodded quickly, thankful that she wasn't yelled at again.

"Pam? You already know their names?"Benedict gasped with disgust. Perhaps if she knew how much trouble Pam had caused she wouldn't be so pleasant towards the girl.

"Get going. I'll see you later. Maybe we can watch that one show airing tonight."

He kissed her once more, this time on the lips, then sighed, "If any of them are wanting a bloody autograph they'd better-"

"Benedict, you're having a Sherlock moment, dear," she smirked with warning and amusement- the way a mother would correct a rude child.

"A Sherlock moment? What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

"You are being rude, inconsiderate, and oblivious to the feelings of those around you."

He took her words into consideration, thinking back on his interactions with the staff. She was right. He wasn't about to tell her so but she was absolutely right. This was just one of the many reasons he knew she was his other half- the perfect amount of sassy water to kill his childish fiery fits.

"I love you," she called out just before he returned for a final kiss. "Go," she giggled, a full genuine smile finally gracing her pretty mouth.

Ben, James and Gran then went to his place—still a bit messy from the party—and all three of them collapsed shortly after. Gran wouldn't take his bed, knowing exactly goes on in the bed of a couple, so she took the downstairs guest room and left James the upstairs room. Once Ben finally plopped into his bed, he realized how lonely it was going to be without her in London. If he wasn't traveling, they were practically inseparable. Now that she was getting worse and he would be getting busy again, things were going to change. Both good and horrible changes were just around the corner, he could feel it.

Those were his last thoughts before everything faded. He had been running on over twenty-four hours without sleep. Just before he was completely out, he pulled her pillow tightly to his chest and breathed her scent in. What was he going to do?

It had been over a week since the incident everyone avoided talking about in her presence.

Another gut wrenching cough tore through the silence of the front room. Sophie, her father, and Gran each glanced over at exactly the same moment. Makenzie covered her mouth then shook a dismissive hand through the air, assuring everyone that it was nothing. The others nodded, still slightly on edge, then made themselves comfortable once more. Not a minute later, another unpleasant sound came from the sofa.

"Makenzie, dear, are you alright?" Sophie's quick hand found her friend's knee.

"Quite fine," the girl lied between deep breaths.

"No you're not," her father finally announced. He rose from his easy chair and stood beside his daughter.

"I'm fine, dad."

"You aren't alright. You're not even fine," Gran hissed at her independent girl. "Let us take care of you. Tell us what we can do. What do you need?"

"I need everyone to sit down so we can watch Sherlock! I'll manage."

The elders in the room stared at eachother, a silent conversation that couldn't have been more understood if had been spoken aloud. As of that moment, they were on red alert.

She had gathered her small family together to watch the second episode of the show's third series- another private copy Ben had made for her. Ben was in London for the night, work tomorrow, but had sent his love to everyone earlier in the day.

The vomiting, fever, and trembling had returned, doubled even. James had called the hospital but they said they wouldn't be able to do much more than she could get at home. Rest, water, and healthy food was their recommendation. They said she would be better in a few days but to expect these episodes more often. Time was still key to gaining her health back.

"It's been two hours. We have to call him," James argued with the stubborn young woman.

"He's at an event. Don't ring him. Please, daddy. Don't spoil his night. I'll be better tomorrow," she cried, tears running down her already moist face.

"He's also part of this family now," Gran declared with her own willful confidence. "He made me promise-"

"I don't care about that," Kenzie said between gasps, the pain growing inside.

"Well I do. And so does your father. Those vows you want to take with that man… 'for better or for worse', my dear. This… is the worse bit of that. For some it comes earlier in the relationship and for others it comes later. You, are the first. Get through this together, together," she allowed a wise pause for effect, "and you can get through anything."

Makenzie looked over at her father just in time to see him place his mobile to his ear.

"If you love me, don't call Ben." Their sad stares met in a piercing moment, a choice having to be made. "He's busy tonight. Don't tear him from his work." Another pause. "Dad!" she called when he walked out of the room, phone still pressed to his red face.

"Hello, son. It's Makenzie. Quick as you can."

Not long after they put the half delirious young woman into a bed, she talked Sophie into sneaking her mobile into the room. If the blonde had known what her friend was up to, she wouldn't have done so.

-Don't come. They are over reacting. I'll be alright tomorrow. Just need some rest is all. -MD

Minutes later, she saw that he had read her text. Knowing that he had seen her dismissive message, she felt a bit more at ease while her family paced around rooms and called more medical experts. It was all soon a blur of soft speeches, moving around, a thermometer every now and then, and brief images of her father's worried face.

"It's been two hours. Where is he?" Gran sighed just outside the bedroom door.

"If he's the kind of man I hope he is, if he's the man he has been so far, he'll be here," James replied in the same nervous manner.

"I don't want him here. He can't see me like this," Makenzie argued from her bed. It was after the long pause that she realized the words she had mentally screamed hadn't been spoken at all. This was just like a horror film, where the victim couldn't talk. But maybe worse.

"I know he's a good man. He's already more than proven himself, my boy. But… he does have his career obligations. Not that he's putting work before her but," she gave a little frustrated growl. "It's what he has to do." The cozy chair squeaked as a body plopped into it. "Besides, he's two hours away. He wouldn't be here unless he left immediately after you called. Give it time."

Then the darkness took her once more.

Blurry light. An opening door. Soft murmurs that couldn't be made out. Another opening door, this one closer. Then there was the increasing pain. Her limbs felt as if they were on fire. Her body felt as if it had been tossed onto flames. Was this the worst of it? Would it all be over soon? And when would this fever break? She knew the possibility that this was the rest of her limited life.

And then there was slight comfort.

A cool cloth was rubbed over her forehead, dampened each crimson cheek, gently slid down her neck. The cotton material felt nice but the cold moisture was greatly appreciated.

"There now," the soft baritone soothed. It took a moment, but her eyes fluttered open; she hadn't imagined that bit.

"No," she whispered in the smallest whine he had ever heard. "You… you can't be here."

"I told you," he tried to smile though his eyes were already filled with adoration. "I'm going to be here for you as much as possible."

"But you were in London," she argued, weakly closing her eyes.

"I'm not arguing with a sick woman," Ben teased, acting much braver than he truly was.

"Well that's tough," she groaned. "You shouldn't be here." Makenzie covered her face with the duvet, the action taking a great deal of energy.

"Hide under there all you like. I'm not leaving."

How could he be so stern yet slightly playful? If she had agreed to be engaged to a man, this was the right one to do so with. She wouldn't have been able to stand someone overly worried. He understood the situation but also wasn't afraid to continue their little challenging games just because-

"I need a bin. Now!"

Ben raced around the room until the small plastic bin was held in front of her. She purged the moment he held the tub in place. With his free hand, he held back as many strands of unruly curls as he could manage. It broke his heart to see her hunched over gasping for breath. Kenzie was still for a while, her face still lowered out of his view. It took a few deep breaths but she finally found a normal rhythm.

"You can't rush over here every time I have an episode," she announced.

"I won't." His silence was full of his own hurt and pain. "I fear the call that leaves me completely helpless and half mad for hours. The day or night I can't race to your side is too dark a day to predict. I don't know when, how, where, or any other details but I do know one thing." Her eyes finally lifted to find his expression more serious, full of terror, than she had ever seen. "No matter where I am or what I'm doing. I will get to you as quickly as possible. America, Tokyo, it doesn't matter."

Their stare lasted until she fell back onto the mattress, silent in her thoughts.

He placed the bin just in her reach on the floor, next to the chair her father had placed at her side. Ben folded the cloth then placed it on her forehead.

"Don’t you fret about anything. Just rest," his gentle tone soothed once more. Perhaps she wanted to be alone. His presence was obviously causing her unneeded anxiety, at least for the moment.

The somber man turned to leave the room when she suddenly pulled the back end of his dress shirt.

"Stay," she begged in another whisper. It took the last of her strength to open her pleading eyes. "I'm being impossible, I know. Just-"

His angel didn't need to say another word. Without further hesitation, Benedict removed his shoes and socks. He helped move her burning body over just a bit then positioned himself beside her, keeping her movements to a minimum. The very next second, she cuddled against him, slightly shaking from nerves. She calmed a bit as his hand pushed back more damp stray ringlets.

"What time is it?" she managed.

"Time to sleep."

"Seriously."

"I got here right about midnight." She groaned into his chest, forcing a light chuckle from him.

"Anything on tomorrow?"

"Taking care of my future wife. Everyone else can piss off for the day."

Though she felt horrible and overly apologetic, she felt the darkness coming on strong again. It wouldn't be long until she was out again. But she had to tell him. He needed to know. Between her dry throat, burning skin, and aching joints, she mustered what little fight she had left in her.

"Thank you." The two words summed it all up.

"I love you," he reminded while giving her the slightest of squeezes. "Whatever happens, always know that you are my world, my Makenzie." He waited for a reply but didn't receive one. When he glanced down at her, she was already fast asleep. "Our best days are ahead," he sighed, knowing that she wasn't listening. "I'll be able to retire early, we can start on the kids- if that doesn’t happen before. Maybe we could move. I'll trade that London bachelor pad for a proper family home, yeah? Something with at least four bedrooms," he grinned with hopeful eyes shining towards the ceiling. "We'll probably have a girl first- only seems logical with us. She'll have your spirit and my sense of humor. God help the poor bloke that takes interest in her. She'll be brilliant at whatever she wants. International celebrity or educator. She'll dream, just like her parents."

He licked his lips and let his mind wander a bit further.

"You and I, we'll grow old together. I'll be sixty in twenty years and you'll be about my age now. That'll be a laugh. You can push me around London in a chair while I find my old films in tourist bargain bins."

The pleasant images of the future faded as her body shivered against his. She was on fire yet chilled from the inside. His high amounts of body heat would do nothing for her. But perhaps he could warm her with love. If only such things were possible.

"You sleep now. All that is to come. But the two of us…" Ben took a deep breath and sighed, "We'll be known as the mad couple that beat all odds. Just you wait and see."

He stilled his mind and body, the later already warn from the day's endless media parade. Not five minutes after, both were asleep.

Moonlight filled the room. He was softly snoring beside her, hadn't moved a muscle since she faded out. The clock read just past four in the morning. Her eyes opened to find his glowing face. Already her strength was returning, nothing near one hundred percent but more than the total exhaustion she felt just hours ago.

With eyes sliding closed once more and a sleepy little smile, she cuddled into his side.

"I hope she has your eyes and hair. He'll be the lady charmer. And us… I'll always be with you."
♠ ♠ ♠
Coming a bit later than planned but you all know how that goes. thanks for sticking with me so far. And to my faithful commenters, you lot have been what made this story worth while to me. Your encouragement and feedback have been incredible. Thanks!