Status: While writing my other Sherlock story, I thought this would be fun. Heaven forbid I work on one project at a time. ENJOY AND COMMENT!

Starcrossed

Fading

The surgeon had rattled off several lists in the last hour. He explained the risks, pros, cons, and procedures at least twice each. But all Makenzie heard were words like "possibility", "should be able to", "if everything goes as planned", and then the loudest statement of all.

"It will take some time but you should be well on your way to full recovery this time next year. We'll need to keep a close eye on you, take special care concerning your medication, and-"

"But I would be alright this time next year?" Makenzie interrupted.

Her surgeon paused, hearing more than the simple question she was asking, then sighed, "This is not a new cure for cancer itself. What they have created is a way to possibly trick your blood cells into behaving properly again- manipulation if you will." Another thoughtful pause. "Again, your recovery fully depends on if the medication proves successful. Having a friend like Mr. Cumberbatch has put you at the top of the trial run list. And that's what this is, my dear. A trial run. You are one of a few hundred international patients testing what could be the future remedy for many cancer patients."
"I'll do it," Kenzie declared, eyes fixed on the older gentleman.

"She'll consider it. Thank you for your time, doctor," Gran and James nearly spoke in unison.

Benedict only stared from his determined lover to her hesitant family. He could see it so clearly from where he stood- directly between them. Her willingness to do anything and the reasons behind their being so careful. She could only focus on the possibility of a cure while James and Gran could only imagine what their lives would become if the miracle drug didn't work as planned. Either way could kill their Makenzie. Either could be exactly what she needed. And there was no correct answer.

Ben considered every detail in silence, avoiding the family dispute. A small hand finally tore him from his thoughts.

He'd gone to LA and had been there for nearly two weeks, two of her better weeks. But the worry and stress was getting to him. A few drinks at the airport turned out to be a poor decision. The anxious actor took a cab from Heathrow but needed an extra shot of adrenaline. He drove recklessly from London to her house, forcing all thoughts of his nightmares and darkest fears away for the trip. His average time was nearly split and even he was surprised that the coppers hadn't noticed. Unable to remember exactly why he had sped the way he did, the man stumbled up to her doorstep then clumsily ruffled his hair to a more attractive state.

Before he could even knock, an excited Makenzie tore the door open with a squeal. Then she froze.

"Hey you!" he slurred. When he tried to lean forward to steal a kiss, a grotesque expression grew on the just glowing face. "What's wrong?" Usually, he was adorable when confused. Tonight, seeing him like this, it made her furious.

"Leave!" she ordered with a finder pointed at his motorbike. When one of his eyebrows raised in question, she spoke through gritted teeth. "You have a lot of nerve to come back here from LA completely pissed!"

"I used the loo back in London," he joked, being clever and trying to make her laugh. Completely inappropriate timing. When she didn't respond he glanced down, slowly putting everything together. "Not good?" he whispered, quoting his brilliantly ignorant detective character.

"Not good? No, 'not good' would have been forgetting to come tonight. Bad would have been making some excuse as to why you didn't come tonight. But you are here, completely wasted, Benedict. This is infuriating. Do you understand?" She paced just through the door a few times before the tears began. "I know you have your award shows. You have a completely different life back in the states but…" Makenzie took a single step towards him, her eyes pleading for him to sober up in an instant. "I'm fighting for my life, if you haven't noticed. Perhaps I'm intruding on your celebrity play time. Maybe you should crash at Gran's until you sober up."

"We've drank together. Quite often," he argued. "Why does it matter if I'm pissed tonight?"

"Because tomorrow is the single most important family meeting of my life, you knob!" she yelled. "And you're going to be hungover."

"Family meeting?"

"About the cure, Benedict!"

"That's tomorrow?"

"That's why you were coming over tonight!" Kenzie growled. "You know what? You need to leave. Catch a ride or walk. You aren't driving but you need to leave. If you stay here tonight, I might kill you before this damned cancer kills me," she hissed, the tears now streaming down her cheeks.

"I… I love you," he offered, still not understanding but knowing he had done something terribly wrong.

"You need to leave," the woman breathed, doing her very best not to strangle him anyway. "I'm closing the door now. Don't you dare think about coming in."

"Ben?" Gran smiled at the sight of the soaking wet actor at her door. "What the hell are you doing, love?"

He could only shake his head at first, completely embarrassed and full of sobering regret. A cold chill shot through his body. The ride he had managed was sheer luck; his walk there should have been much more than the wet two miles he suffered through on foot. His body was in much better condition than his mind, presently at war with itself.

"Come in before you catch something," Gran sighed with a fraction of an idea as to why he was there.

Minutes later, he found himself sitting next to her on the sofa with a steaming mug in his hands. Neither had been able to get beyond the idle small talk. Finally, Gran took her first sip of tea to pass the time, avoiding the conversation as much as Ben. It was still too hot to drink which brought her to only one conclusion.

"It's late. You have a key to Makenzie's. And it looks like you've been walking a while. Want to tell me what happened?" the wise old thing nearly whispered.

Ben set his cup on the nearest coaster, took a deep breath, then admitted, "I made a proper fool of myself earlier. Makenzie refused to let me in and I completely deserved it." He closed his eyes, her anger making more sense with each revelation and sharpening memory. "I had a bit too much to drink earlier and…" His entire posture changed when he looked at the aged face. "How do you not go absolutely mad at the thought of losing her?"

"Who says I haven't?" she softly laughed, eyes staring at nothing in particular.

His questioning eyes held no amusement. She could tell that he was sobering up rather quickly, the reality of the situation forcing more clarity than before. It took several moments to gather her words, his heart racing despite the knots it had tied itself in.

"I have to remind myself that worrying isn't going to help Kenzie get better and it won't do me any good. I need to be strong for her- like James, Sophie, and you. You, Ben, are her greatest source of joy. Sometimes I think if you weren't around, we would have lost her weeks ago. But she keeps fighting, for you. For the future she is hell bound on spending with you." She patted his hand, giving him her most reassuring smile. "I can see why she wasn't so pleased with you showing up a mess. But she loves you. And all will be forgiven tomorrow. She's preparing herself to argue with her father and myself so she'll need a hand to hold. Someone to be on her side. That's you by the way."

"What is your honest opinion about this cure business?"

Again, Gran hesitated before answering, "It could kill her, my dearest boy. We could lose her just because she wanted to be clever and outsmart her own body."

"But if it worked…" He was testing the waters. Playing devil's advocate.

"You heard the doctor. Chances are against her. He didn’t come out and say it but…"

"She's going to leave me," he sighed, heart aching and stomach in knots. Gran stared at him for a few silent seconds before giving him a little chuckle.

"I don't think so, love."

"No?"

"When we first found out about… all this… Makenzie checked all romance off her list of ambitions. She simply wanted to live." The old thing took Ben's hand and gave it a squeeze. "She's lived more in the last year than she had ever hoped to live in a lifetime. Her vow broke, she found wings, and now you just may be the one thing keeping her fighting. She's strong, spirited, and stubborn anyway but… a life with you seems to be motivation enough to keep fighting all odds."

"I genuinely don't know what I would do if something was to-"

"First order of business. Sobering you up," Gran announced before his mind had time to wonder to that dark place. "I'll get you some pills and water then you can sleep it off. Coffee first thing in the morning."

Before another word was spoken, Cumberbatch raced up from the sofa and sprinted to the loo, his feet moving as quickly as he could manage. A gut wrenching noise came from down the hall followed by another.

"First thing is first," Gran sighed, knowing the drill all too well. She remembered similar nights nursing her husband back to a sober state after a night with his rowdy mates.

The third series of horrid noises was followed by a flush and then the sink.

In the early morning hours, she had thought a great deal- about everything, really. When her health decreased, the last semester of her college career, the miracle that was Benedict, how far they had come, and the decision to be made today.

There was no mathematical equation or matter of ethics to guide her to the decision she had made. Even when the clocks around her house reminded her that she was slightly late, her thoughts never paused. The sight of his bike didn't faze her in the least when she got into her own transportation. There was actually a few miles of her drive to Gran's that were unaccounted for, minutes she couldn't remember driving. But the possibilities, cons, and pros continued to tumble and spin around in her mind. The thought process, as a whole, made for interesting inner dialogue but who really wanted to debate such things with herself? In what felt like a few blinks, two lefts, and a right, she found herself parking next to the house she adored.

Makenzie entered Gran's a bit slower, more uncertain, than usual. Though she was still more upset with him than not, his face was going to be a welcomed sight. She needed him today, needed it to be his hand that held hers in support when arguing with her family. It wouldn't be a screaming match with items flying across the room by any means, but simply imagining the pained expression her father would undoubtably show hurt like hell.

Gran and Ben were laughing in the kitchen, their light voices echoing down the hall. Two of her most favorite sounds in the world. Her heart sped as she walked towards the familiar sounds of the kettle from her childhood. The moment she became visible, Gran passed a wise smile in her direction while Ben clumsily rose from the table. Little did she know how her very presence made his heart suddenly race towards his throat. Those light eyes shinned with multiple emotions but no message was clearer than the immediate silent apology given from across the room.

"Hello," she nearly whispered, almost shy and slightly blushing. It was impossible to be cross with him in that moment.

"Hello," Ben returned her greeting, his toes merely inches from hers, face a breath away from hers. "Forgive me?" It was softly begged more than asked.

Gran's eyes shifted so she could watch the couple from the corner of her eye. A knowing smile graced her lips. She knew the girl all too well.

"And if I don't?" Kenzie lightly teased.

"I wouldn't blame you," Ben sighed, still embarrassed and hopeful. "What I did was foolish and immature. You needed your fiancé last night, not a scared lad trying to race his fears to some imaginary line. Should have been there for you. We should have talked about today and I should have held you all night as you slept."

"Yeah," she grinned, nervously moving a strand of thin curls behind her ear. "I missed that last night as well."

"Raincheck for tonight?" Just from staring into his eyes, she could tell that he was still fearful of losing her.

"I haven't even forgiven you and you're asking to share my bed tonight," his girl grinned, lover's eyes staring up into his beneath dark lashes.

"Please?" he said in an intimate whisper, his hands finding her waist beneath her jacket. Their foreheads pressed together as their stares never broke. Her small arms wrapped over his shoulders then crossed behind his neck.

"I love you, Benedict Cumberbatch," Kenzie finally whispered, the hint of a laugh in her voice.

"But why?" James yelled, doing a poor job at remaining calm.

"It could mean a full recovery, dad! Better than doing nothing and leaving the rest of my life to chance."

"There's a 'chance' the medication will make you worse. Take you from us sooner."

"It's not like I have a lot of time as it is!"

"Alright, both of you," Gran cut in. "We all know the risks involved. Partaking of the medicine could kill you. But you're dying anyway. Just honest facts. The meds could kill you quicker but your pain could get much worse… and soon."

"May I?" Sophie finally spoke up. James crossed his arms, suddenly interested in something outside, as Gran nodded. "From what the doctor said and from the opinions discussed this morning…" Her pause was two seconds too long for comfort. "It sounds like a fifty-fifty shot." This earned the full attention of everyone in the room. Damned if she does, damned if she doesn't. But we know that medication has proved to be helpful in past cases, similar to Kenz's." Another long silence. "And, at the end of the day, all we can offer are our opinions." The souls sisters shared a glance, Makenzie's eyes thankful. "We can argue until each of us are blue in the face but, in the end, it's Makenzie's choice. She's going to do what she feels is best for herself."

"Ben?" Gran asked, wondering how he had managed complete silence since the debate began- over an hour ago.

All eyes moved to him, putting him on the spot. He had grown accustomed to being the center of attention. But he didn't feel the usual indifference towards these particular expectant stares. They each wanted to know where he stood. His decision mattered to each soul in the room. He could only be true to his heart in this circumstance. Asking anything more of him was asking too much of a person, of a husband.

After taking Makenzie's trembling hand, he took a deep breath, then announced, "I'll stand beside Makenzie. Whatever she chooses to do. Only she can decide what she wants to be put through. Only she knows the limits she masks so well from the rest of us. She's proven to be stronger than all of us time and time again. Perhaps we could grant her the same bold faith and trust she has given us thus far. It's difficult enough without us carrying on, isn't it?" He quickly searched each face.

The room was silent once more before Sophie gave a firm nod. A corner of Gran's lips twitched with pride. James' heavy sigh echoed against the walls.

"Aren't you afraid?" the father finally asked, his tone gentle and acceptant at last.

"Yes." Her eyes met his as everyone else around faded for a moment. "I'm terrified of missing out on what could be the happiest years of my life."

No one breathed as the two continued their conversation with only solemn and hopeful stares.

"Then I guess we need to call Dr. Sanders."

The tender squeeze of her hand filled her with a new confidence and optimism she hadn't felt in ages. Makenzie took a mental photo of the look on Ben's face when he turned towards her. If only he would never feel less than what he was feeling that second. If only she could give him endless hope and constant joy. But would it be enough?

His ginger curls had made a full recovery from years of dye and straightening- a bit more gray than when they had first begun. Then again, he was in his forties now. She was coming close to thirty but had never been happier in her life. They had come through it all.

"James Timothy! Don’t go too far into those waves!" she scolded from several feet away in the dry sand, building a sand castle with their little curly haired girl.

"Come on, mum," Benedict chuckled behind her, speaking for the brave toddler. "We haven’t been to a proper beach in ages." He knelt behind her with his knees dug into the hot sand. After gently caressing her shoulders, he tenderly kissed her neck with a soft rumble of contentment. "I love you," he reminded her with an audible smile.

Makenzie released a small hum of her own before turning her head giggling, "Again."

Ben cupped her face between his hands and pressed his lips to hers. Perfection. Could life be so wonderful? She had been more than excited when he announced taking a year off work to spend much needed time with their little family. His previous large films had been more than capable of allowing them this lifestyle for at least a year away from cameras and international appointments.

Their little family. Happy and perfect in every way that counted.

"Makenzie? Can you hear me?" Dr.Sanders asked, holding a small torch to her squinted eyes. Her slow movement was apparently answer enough. "Good girl." He looked towards a nurse and grinned. "I think she is going to be just fine." His attention returned to the patient. "We're waiting for final test results now. If all looks as it should, more likely than not, we should be able to begin treatments as early as tomorrow, Ms. Daniels. How does that sound?"

"Brilliant," her hoarse voice squeaked. But she was smiling now, alert and more anxious than she expected- the good kind. The kind of anxious she felt as a uni student in London.

Benedict walked into the room with a large beautiful bouquet of roses, James and Gran close behind.

"How are you feeling, love?" Gran smiled, hiding all signs of doubt.

"Medicine starts tomorrow," she proudly announced, eyes brighter than they had been in weeks.

"But the future starts today," Ben grinned as he put the flowers on the bedside table then kissed her forehead, adding a sexy wink of encouragement to make her smile.

"How are you?" she asked her father. Her head craned over to see beyond her husband and grandmother.

He was being supportive but she couldn't dismiss the worry that still filled his eyes. This was her decision so he supported her, completely betraying all arguments against her actions. It was the most and least he could do.

"I love you," James smiled, quickly making his way to her. He took her hand in his and kissed the back of it. "I love you so much, Kenz."

"Love you too, daddy," she grinned, ignoring what she knew he was feeling. She momentarily tricked her mind into believing that he was fully onboard. If she could believe that he was alright, just maybe, she would be too.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, only two chapters left! Three at the very most! Enjoy!