Status: While writing my other Sherlock story, I thought this would be fun. Heaven forbid I work on one project at a time. ENJOY AND COMMENT!

Starcrossed

The End

The very last chapter of the story! Thanks to those who have been with me from the start. You are absolutely wonderful. Hope you liked the alternate ending haha. If you liked this story, check out my Sherlock fanfic "Repens". It has a similar feel but in the BBC Sherlock setting. Any questions let me know! Cheers!
---
"Happy birthday," the soft warm voice spoke in her ear. The girl stirred but remained asleep. "Wake up, my darling." A small whine of a noise followed by the turn of her small frame. "I've got a surprise for you. In the kitchen. But you have to wake up first."
Small hands finally rubbed against the soft pale skin around her eyes.
"What is it?" the small voice asked, still more asleep than awake.
"Come and see."
Quick footsteps came from down the hall to the room. James ran into the room, took one great leap, then landed on top of the bed.
"If you don't get up, Dani, I get all of your presents," James threatened.
"Do not. Mommy, tell him he doesn't get my presents," the beautiful toddler whined, not quite sure if her brother was only teasing.
"Come on, James. Let's make sister's birthday a good one," Makenzie chuckled, standing from her daughter's bed. "And you, little miss birthday girl, I made you something special for breakfast."
Small arms reached up to be taken. With nothing but love in her heart and mind, Makenzie took the child in her arms. They talked all the way to the kitchen and then the four year old was released. Sounds of delight came from the table as her kids impatiently waited for the brownie pancakes to land on their plates. Sprinkles and candy cherries were on the table to complete the rare breakfast- only had on birthdays and very special occasions. Once the food was prepared, sprinkles and all, the three began to eat.
James' brownish red curls bounced as he constantly changed sitting positions. His eyes were still the perfect mixture of the two. His looks were all Ben, his mind like his mother's, and the endless need to joke was a mixture between uncle Martin and Grandpa James. He was the firstborn and loved his little sister dearly. Even when he himself was mostly a baby, he took care of her. Now he was seven- seven going on thirteen.
Danica Cumberbatch was a completely different child all together. She was as much her mother's daughter as James was his father's son. Yet the complete opposite in many ways. When James would be quiet or timid, she would always challenge him. But she also kept him in line and often echoed her mother's scolding remarks, wanting him to be the very best he could be. Dani had her father's love and curiosity for life, his friendly ways, her mother's sense of logic, and Grandma Wanda's blonde hair- but her mother's ringlet curls. Even at four, she was already keeping up with the older kids in many areas. She adored older people, especially Gran, and was content anywhere she was taken. But her father was her world, just as she was his. Ben felt pride as a father when James was born but his life changed upon meeting his little girl.
Makenzie watched the kids eat, helping them when needed and adding a comment or two to their precious childish chatter. Once the meal was over, hardly anything left of the thin flat brownies, the birthday girl became quiet. It was such a look. How could a four year old possibly put so much thought into something. She mirrored the exact expression Ben had when in deep thought.
"What's wrong, sweetheart?" Kenzie had to contain a laugh; her daughter's thoughtful expression was almost comical with chocolate syrup running down her chin.
With large worried eyes, blue like her mother's, the girl asked, "When will daddy be home?"
The question broke the mother's heart. How could she tell the girl in a positive manner?
Wiping the tiny chin, Makenzie sighed, "Daddy's in America today, angel. He wants to be here so bad but-"
"He has work? Is he acting?" the boy chimed in, just as curious as his sister.
Gathering the dishes, Makenzie dreaded the conversation.
"We talked about this," she smiled, doing her best not to cry. Things were certainly different when he was gone- which was quite often as of late. "Daddy loves acting; that's his job. But he's home as long as possible. Sometimes he can't come home for a few days. And we can't be upset with him about it, yeah?" The young minds couldn't grasp the full concept- some days she didn't even understand.
"But it's my birthday," Danica pouted.
"I know it is, darling," the amused woman patronized. "We'll see daddy in a few days. He'll be home before you know it."
"Daddy!" James yelled with excitement. The boy ran from the table and leapt into his laughing father's arms.
Makenzie only stared in shocked silence. She couldn't produce words even when trying.
"Daddy!" the birthday girl echoed her brother's delight.
Ben acted as if the kids had defeated him, his tall body crashed to the floor as the two began crawling over and pulling on him. Though he made sounds of pain and discomfort, the children only laughed and continued. A mighty growl and threatening tickles scared them away. James immediately repeated his father's growl and began chasing his sister down the hall. The husband rose to his feet with another chuckle. Finally, his eyes met his wife's for the first time.
"Hello," he said quiet casually, his smile proud and loving.
"I can't believe you," she grinned while running towards him, nearly crying tears of joy.
When their bodies collided, he spun her around with laughter. A few kisses and caresses later, he returned her to the floor.
"But I thought you couldn't-"
"I moved a few things around," he smiled, obviously as pleased to be home as everyone else was for him to be home. "She'll never have another fourth birthday."
"I love you," Kenzie giggled before stealing another kiss.
"Daddy, kiss me! Kiss me!"
Ben looked down to find his daughter dressed as a Disney princess. She had just changed into the costume since running off with her brother- but what a sweet sight it was. He released his wife only to pick up his daughter.
"Alright, birthday girl. What shall we do today?" he asked, holding her tight against him.
Her mother's bright eyes looked at him from the small soft face- his features perfectly combined with hers.
" Can we go to a play?"
Ben glanced towards his smiling wife.
"She saw Beauty and the Beast advertise on the telly lastnight."
"Beauty and the Beast?" he repeated, as if in complete shock. The little girl nodded with delight, absentmindedly tracing her father's face. "You don't like that film," he teased.
"Yes I do!"
"Can we?" James asked, excited at the chance to go to the city.
"Ask you mother," Ben playfully ordered, eyes brighter than ever.
"Please. Please, mommy," they begged in unison. Ben's expression was just like the kids', large pleading eyes and puckered lip. How could she say no?
"Get dressed," she chuckled.
"Yay!"
The children were running to their rooms at once, choosing outfits for their day in London. Makenzie returned to her husband, both sets of eyes misty and adoring.
"You didn't have to do this, you know."
"Of course I did." He kissed her forehead before a sigh. "Besides, I missed you." They shared an intimate smile. And… I wouldn't miss being home tomorrow for the whole world."
"And what is tomorrow?" she teased, as if she hadn't a clue.
"The day I married my best friend."
They kissed then began dancing in the kitchen. There was no music but instead the sounds of their children laughing and playing throughout their home. They knew that everything was finally alright. They had their dream life- by some twist of fate. And they had eachother. That's all they would ever need. Without a single doubt, they knew that their love would last the trials of life.
As they continued their slow dance around the kitchen, he whispered in her ear, "Forever."
With the largest grin she giggled, "Forever."