Status: While writing my other Sherlock story, I thought this would be fun. Heaven forbid I work on one project at a time. ENJOY AND COMMENT!

Starcrossed

Shopping With Benedict

His question still rang in her ear. Where would she like to dine with him? Where should their "date" be? He had been trying to impress her since they had met and she felt more comfortable around him to test him a bit. If he wanted to show off, now was his chance. Or was it too soon to tease him like that?

"The most posh place you can get into, Mr. Celebrity," she giggled playfully.

He watched her for a moment, knowing full well she was simply testing him with no expectations whatsoever. For whatever reason, unknown to even himself, he wanted to make the night as memorable as possible- just in case there really was something between them.

"Alright," he grinned. After a moment of silence, his thoughtful eyes zoomed in on nothing specific. "We'll have to pick you up a gown," he thought aloud.

"I was only kidding!" she laughed grabbing his arm. The sudden physical contact gave them both butterflies but neither would ever let it show, not this soon. Her pleading eyes only urged him on. She wasn’t expecting anything fancy so that was precisely what he wanted to give her- the best he had to offer.

"That will teach you," he winked at her, his bright dazzling smile raising the hair on her neck and arms.

She had seen that smile before, on magazines, on telly, and on her laptop. But never had she imagined seeing it in person, and in such intimate circumstances. A blush crept up her cheeks.

"I know the perfect shop. It should be open for another hour. You aren't picky are you?"

"Not in the least," she replied breathlessly. Was she really going to be shopping with him? For a formal gown? Not even in her best dreams had this happened. Then again, she never really wanted it to- until now.

He said the name of a shop she had never heard of and requested to be dropped off in the back. The cabby looked confused at first but gave an understanding nod. The car pulled into a small vacant alleyway and stopped at Ben's command. He paid the man a little extra for his trouble and opened the door. Makenzie felt like a princess as he held his hand out for her to take. Slightly bashful, she took his hand then was pulled out of the cab with all the gentleness she had come to associate with the celebrity.

The pair walked towards the back door and he knocked, keeping an eye on their surroundings for muggers or sneaky fangirls. Finally the door opened. A shorter bloke appeared in the doorway.

"Yes, is Amanda working this evening?"

"Ah, welcome Mr. Cumberbatch. Yes, I shall tell her you are here. Please come in," the lad greeted with contained excitement.

They were lead down a hall full of boxes then were left behind a curtain. Not long after, a taller model looking woman slipped onto their side of the curtain with a large smile.

"Benedict!" They hugged as if they were old friends. Makenzie was a bit intimidated by the woman's beauty and grace. The woman quickly took note of the young girl in return.

"Hello, Amanda. You look wonderful, as always," he chuckled.

"Oh, thank you dear! Always flattered by the likes of you. What could I assist you with?" She asked, more professional than the friendliness she had shown before.

"Actually, I'm here to pick up that suit I ordered last week and Miss Daniels is in need of a gown for this evening," Ben stated with something that resembled pride- but the student didn't want to read too much into things.

"Oh, big night?"

Looking down at the girl, his grin widened as those light eyes softened.

"You could call it that."

"Tom will take care of you over there and you can pick up Miss Daniels over here when you are finished."

"Brilliant," he answered. Before he left, he whispered to Makenzie, "Get anything you like. Don't be shy and cost is of no importance."

"I couldn't possibly-"

"Oh, why not?" he winked. She was being modest but he already had the spontaneous part of her mostly figured out. Mostly.

"Then I shall see you soon," she teased back in the tone she often heard rich snooty people use.
His deep chuckle was answer enough. They parted ways feeling as if they were walking on clouds, an old excitement that had been longed for stirring in both of their souls.

"What fashion do you prefer?" Amanda asked sternly. The woman was obviously taking this way too seriously. She was in her zone and it was all Makenzie could do to hold in her laughter of disbelief.
"Would it be alright if I just browsed for now?" she politely, but nervously, asked.

The public didn't just stroll into a shop like this. Come to think of it, there wasn't a single other shopper in sight. As she looked around and checked multiple tags to compare, the cheapest dress she had found was still three hundred pounds. She spent less than that shopping for all of her school necessities each August. The most expensive piece of clothing she had owned was a pair of heeled boots her father bought her while he was on business in Paris.

Red acrylic. Yellow silk. Grey cashmere. Everything was so beautiful. Some cuts and styles were ridiculous while others reminded her of award shows and similar events. She tried a few on before Ben returned from wherever he had disappeared to. Her assumption was that he was putting on the suit he had just purchased.

Then she saw it.

---

Benedict ventured to the changing rooms but was stopped by Amanda, who was rolling her eyes.
"Miss Daniels wished for me to ask you to stay put until she comes out."

He didn’t like the way his old friend was behaving. They had done business together several times. When it came to fashion, Amber had always been his go-to. But he didn't care for the tone she used while talking about Makenzie.

"Is something the matter?" He asked, trying to remain friendly and calm.

"Not at all. She just said she wanted her selection to be a surprise." Another haughty giggle.
"And this is amusing because?"

"Oh, come on, Benedict. You can't be serious," Amanda chuckled, keeping her voice as hushed as possible. "She's what- eighteen?"

"When has it ever mattered who I've brought in here?"

"I'm only saying, she's by far the youngest 'friend' you have given me to dress."

"If it bothers you so, I could take her-"

"Forgive me. I didn't mean to be so rude. It wasn't my place," the fashion expert blurted. This was the last returning customer she wanted to lose. Ben was her most valued customer but it was often difficult to deal with him as such because of their long standing friendship prior to her job at the shop.

"Apology accepted," he grinned, still slightly insulted. Amanda left his side after a loud noise came from where the new shipments were kept.

He thought about the last girl he had brought for Amanda to dress. Now feeling guilty about the ordeal, Benedict recalled sending Amber on a silly task to distract her while he and his company for the night snogged eachother senseless. He himself had dressed, then later undressed, the girl that night. But that was the young rowdy Benedict Cumberbatch. That night he had been-what?-twenty-four? Being a professional actor gave him an ego in those days, one he had soon become embarrassed of. It didn't take him long to learn.

A soft cough forced his attention back to the present. The moment after his mind returned to the shop it went completely blank. Makenzie Daniels was in a stunning navy baroque satin gown. The longer he stared, the more he noticed. Only a thin slanted strap of fabric hung over her right shoulder and gathered at the empire waistline. A small black belt hung on top of the gathered waistline with a square diamond studded buckle of sorts. The rest of the material clung to her pleasing form, tightly down her torso then stretching ever so slightly at her hips. After her hips, the navy sea of silk became for full until it made a small puddle in the floor. Noticing where his eyes had dropped, Makenzie lifted the front of the dress enough to reveal the pretty black heels, not very tall but patterned with a tasteful amount of diamond studs. Overall, she was breathtaking.

Somehow her hair and makeup had been changed. He would never know the spare hairpins and make-up had been in her bag all day. The long messy hair from today had been pinned in a messy bun, a classy choice given her limited resources.

"Beautiful," he softly gasped, eyes lit up the way she had always wanted a bloke to look at her. But this wasn't just any bloke.

"Oh, this old thing?" she teased, turning to reveal her practically naked back.

The navy didn't begin until the small of her back- modest enough but plenty flirty. Her ruby lips and excited shadowy eyes returned towards him. He hadn't even noticed her looking him up and down when he took her in.

"You look rather charming yourself," she giggled.

Many called him handsome or dashing. Fangirls had several ways to describe him. But he was taken by her description- "charming". Princes were charming. Charm was his goal almost every day- always someone to win over in a short amount of time. Never had he thought himself charming, everyone knew his insecurities regarding his own features. But she thought he was charming tonight, and that was all the confirmation he needed.

Ben took several steps towards her then took her hands in his for the very first time. They stared silently at the other, the way young couples usually did on prom night. For a moment, there was just them. The rest of the world had somehow faded. The several seconds were strange but cherished. It had been a long time since either had been this excited about dinner. A blushing giddy Makenzie finally let her eyes fall as she giggled.

Her eyes soon returned to the actor's before she announced, "We have about five hours before I can't walk in these shoes."

"Then let the night begin," he grinned practically beaming.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok, so since it has been an awesome couple of weeks for Benedict fans (Whatever you wish to call the BCumbs fandom), I was inspired to do another chapter tonight. Feedback is much welcome!!! Let me know if this gets to silly or unrealistic. I'd genuinely like to keep this a "what if" type thing. Let me know, you lovely readers you!!!!