Sequel: Pursuit of Happiness

The Ice Queen

001:

Chapter One
"So when all is said and done, more is said than done," I read the shirt as I smirked and shook my head, "You wear the weirdest shirts."

"What? My mom got this for me," Brad said and I snorted and playfully shoved his shoulder, "Where you off to?"

"To meet the Kid at the rink, he's gunna teach me some things," I smiled brightly and Brad laughed a little.

"You gunna be like all the other girls and throw themselves at him?"

"There's one distinct reason why I'm not like those other girls, Brad," I smirked as I walked over towards my bike.

"Oh yeah, what's that?"

"I play hockey."


That memory was probably eight years ago, I was thirteen at the time, living in Halifax, Nova Scotia with my parents. 'The Kid' I speak of is the famous, Sidney Crosby, we were pretty good friends growing up, he taught me most of the things I know today when it comes to hockey. Brad Marchand, he was my best friend growing up, we were always joined at the hip, getting into trouble constantly.

Alyssa Jane Marie Brace at your service, but most of my friends called me AJ. A year after that memory, my parents got a divorce and my younger sister and I got split up. My mother got me in the divorce and move out of Canada and to Boston. From 2002 to 2010, I went to the local high school and played on the hockey team. Luckily, I wasn't the only girl on the high school team, but once I graduated from high school and went to Boston University, I was the only girl on that team. I meet a lot of people and made a lot of friends, I played as a right winger, and everyone said that I was good at it.

My first semester, I got an interesting email from an old friend of mine, Brad Marchand, I hadn’t seen him in over four years, he wanted to meet up, I agreed. We met for coffee the next day and I was so excited to see him, and happy to hear that he made it to the NHL and played for the Boston Bruins. He was happy to hear that I was still playing hockey and promised that he would come and see games when he could, I promised the same.

As senior year came closer and closer, I was worried about my future, I wanted to play hockey, it was my dream, but I doubted that I was going to get far in it. I majored in psychology and hoped that I would get something with that.

Brad and I remained friends during my time in Boston, we kept our promises and came to every game that we could, and sometimes when he would come to my games, he would bring friends.
My final semester came, I was afraid that I wasn't going to have enough money for it, student loans on top of student loans, on top of bank loans. Brad offered to pay for it, I declined, he knew my past, he knows my relationship with my mother, and he knows I’m too proud to take his money. So for my Senior year, we agreed that I would move out of my dorm that I stayed in to stay away from my mother, even though she was about twenty minutes to a half hour away, and move into his two bedroom luxury condo, that would at least take about two thousand dollars off of my tuition.

My mom and I never saw eye to eye, and I was upset with her for breaking the family up. She was a drug addict that that always wanted to be the cool mother, but that was never going to happen.
I was an angry girl, had to go to anger management and everything, finally I figured out that I would just take all my anger out on the ice, I wasn't afraid to smash people into the boards, that's how I dealt with my anger.

Finally graduation came; everyone on the team was in a pretty good mood because a few days earlier, we had won the state championships. I was going to miss these guys, they were already having scouts coming up to them and wanting them to play for this team, or that team, not one came up to me.

As I walked across the stage to accept my diploma, there was no family out in the audience, other than the team and the few friends I was graduating with; Brad, Milan Lucic and Nathan Horton were there, the three guys that I became best friends with, but that was about it. I didn’t think that my sister or dad would be there, I haven’t heard from them since mom and I left.

After the ceremony, I was taking some pictures with the guys and some girl friends that I had made at school, once that was finished; I was walking towards Brad, Milan and Nathan when I heard my name. Two men stood in front of me, they smiled and shook my hand, introducing themselves as Kris Wagner and George McPhee, Director of Scouting staff and General Manager for the Washington Capitals. They would like to give me a chance, I accepted without hesitation.

Brad, Milan and Nathan took me out to celebrate; I was going to get my chance to be a professional hockey player. The summer of 2010, I packed up all of my things that were still at my mom's apartment and then everything at Brad’s place and packed my tiny car. Brad wanted to buy me a new car, but I declined, it was bad enough that I agreed to live with him, but I couldn’t take anymore from him, he was my best friend and I loved him very much.

In the middle of July, I drove all the way to Hershey, Pennsylvania to join the Hershey Bears and show off my skills to the AHL. I found myself an apartment with the help of Brad, he insisted on coming to help and was going to stay with me to set the tiny studio apartment up.

About a week later, I met the team, took the harassments the first few months about a girl being on the team, but I let their words go and told them mine through my blades. Soon they found that I was not going to slow them down, that I was going to be just as well as them, maybe better.

I lasted a year with the Bears before Ted Leonsis, the owner of the Washington Capitals, himself appeared to me and wanted to know if I was interested in becoming a Capital, I didn't hesitate for a second.

I told Brad and he came down, from Nova Scotia, since it was the middle of the summer and helped me pack my place. When he showed up, I was surprised to see a girl with him, I didn’t recognize her at first, I hadn’t seen her in so long. But there she was, Rebecca, my baby sister. Brad talked her into coming, and she said she would like to stay with me for a while. Of course I agreed and she helped me pack my things up, I wanted to get close to my little sister again. There was no room in the car as I drove down to Washington, so Brad flew down and started the search for a place to live. On the drive down, my sister and I got reacquainted and I must say, it was fun.

By the time that we got to DC, found a place, set it up, shipped all of Rebecca’s stuff down, got her situated, somehow found time to get a dog, that was interesting, and turned my home into a home, it was the end of July, I wanted to get some practice in before the team starts to come back and camp began.

Somehow, I had enough money to buy a small three bedroom home in a nice neighborhood, when my life was situated; Ten Leonsis wanted me to come in to talk about my contract with the Capitals. I was going to start off with a two year contract and make about six hundred thousand dollars a season, goodbye college loans.

For the first few weeks, I practiced and practiced and practiced, Rebecca came to the rink with me and watched and drew in her sketch book. Apparently, she was looking into going to the art college that was in the city. Dad bought her a car and was going to pay her tuition, I was a little hurt buy that because he never offered anything like that for me, I was always on my own, but I never let Rebecca know that, I was better off without them.

When I was in Hershey, the team found out that I was moving up to the Capitals; they all warned me that they were a bunch of cocky assholes. So when I met the team for the first time, I found that my old teammates were correct, the Capitals were a bunch of assholes, but I'd seen a lot worse, so I never listened to their bull. Just like when I played for the Hershey Bears, I let my blades do the talking.

Two weeks before the preseason began, my Captain, Alex Ovechkin, was the first to crack and officially welcome me to the team. They weren't so bad once you got to know them; in fact, they were all a bunch of softies, even Ovechkin.

A week and a half before the preseason was going to start; a huge press conference was given, two whole hours, Coach talked about nothing but me. The media was interested about hearing about me, mostly they asked the same questions but in different ways. They were making a big deal about me being the first woman to playing in the NHL in a very long time, apparently there was a woman who was a goaltender for the Toronto Maples Leafs a long way back, but she didn't last very long.

I was never really good at talking to the media, so Coach had me sit out of the press conference. Some of the guys found out my address and came over to my home, met my sister, not even knowing I had one, and watched the press conference on the TV. The guys didn’t like how I had a small flat screen and said that they were going to get me a home warming present, aka, a bigger TV. Coach made sure not to talk about anything personal, I didn't want anyone knowing anything yet, I liked to keep my life pretty private.

Brad and I kept in contact throughout the whole time, even surprised me with a visit right before the preseason started; of course he had to bring his back up, Milan and Nathan. They stayed for a few days, mostly helping me around the house and fixing things that seemed to be broken. I did my best to keep them away from the Capitals, thankfully I was successful. Sadly, they needed to head back to Boston because their preseason was going to start.

The team got the season schedule four days before the preseason was going to start, we were suppose to play against the Predators first, everyone said that was an easy game, but it wasn’t.

Tuesday, September 20th, the 2011-2012 preseason had begun and our game against the Nashville Predators was held in Baltimore, Maryland. I don’t know if the team wasn’t mentally there or they just underestimated the Predators, because we lost two to zero. I was upset because I was barely played on the ice, and Coach didn’t even mention that he wasn’t going to play me at all in the first or second period and I was only on the ice or five minutes in the third.

Wednesday, September 21st, early in the morning we flew to Columbus, Ohio because we had a game against the Columbus Blue Jackets that night. We were looking to win, come back from our loss against the Predators. We didn’t, we were close, but the Capitals lost in overtime with the final score three to four. Again, I was barely played on the ice.

Friday, September 23rd, we had arrived in Chicago last night; we had a morning skate this morning and a game against the Blackhawks tonight. I had to keep reminding myself that this was just the preseason, but it still hurt that we weren’t winning our games. We wanted to win so badly, show our fans and show ourselves that we weren’t total losers and that we could win our games, it didn’t happen that night, we lost against the Blackhawks, the final score being two to three.

Monday, September 26th, we were back in DC, getting ready for another game against the Blue Jackets, hoping that tonight could end our way. My sister was going to be coming to the game and apparently she was bringing dad, I hadn’t him since mom and I left in 2002, almost ten years. I was beyond nervous that night, my dad supported me with my hockey when I was younger, came to games, brought me to practice, just never understood why I liked it, a part of it was because of Brad, when he started to play, I wanted to too. The final in the game was one to three, I was thankful that we were the ones who won, and I was excited to get the chance to score the first goal in the game, my first goal in the NHL.

Wednesday, September 26th, we suffered a loss against the Predators in Nashville, with the final score being one to four. Alex was sick of losing and said that we all needed to pick it up, it might be preseason, but we were looking pathetic.

Friday, September 30th, we were back in DC and had a game against the Sabres, looking for another win. We won in a shootout, but it was a win, and I made the second goal in the game, and assisted Alex in making the first goal, the final score was three to four.

Sunday, October 2nd, it was the final game in the preseason, a home game against the Chicago Blackhawks. We were in a good mood from the win two days ago, we were looking for another one, we got it. The final score being one to four, I scored the first goal and then was practically tackled to the ice.

The preseason was over, in a few days the regular season was about to begin, and we were looking forward to playing a full strength and going all the way. On Saturday, October 8th, the Capital's had a home game against the Hurricanes, the first game in the regular season and I was excited for it and the team was teasing me because I was so excited for it. We ended up winning that game in over time, and I made the winning goal, which made all of my nervousness totally worth it.

Monday, October 10th, the Capital's had a home game against Tampa Bay. The media was all over me that day, wanting to know every little thing about me, because they didn't seem to care before. I was grateful to Alex and Mike Green because they rescued me from the media and drug me into the locker room, I wasn't ready to talk about myself, I wasn't ready for them to now personal things about me, hell, my teammates didn't even know many personal things about me. We won against Tampa Bay in a shootout and Alex, Mike and I were the ones who made the goals.

Thursday, October 13th, our first away game, my first game against the Pittsburgh Penguins, I was excited and nervous about this game. It was the first time I was going to be playing against an old friend, Sidney Crosby.

"Why are you always nervous before a game?" Mike Green asked with a chuckle.

"Why aren't you?" I smirked as I laced up my skates.

"I've done it longer," he said cocky and I snorted.

"You're three years older than me, whoop te freakin' do," I said and the guys chuckled and I felt Mike nudge his arm into me.

"I'm your elder, be nice!" he said and I laughed and playfully shoved his shoulder when I made it look like I was trying to bite his finger when he pointed towards me.

"You're too much," I snorted and then stood up and threw my jersey on.

Coach came in a said a few words to pump us up, and then left so Alex could say a few words. Short and sweet, 'kick Crosby's ass'.

"Such sentimental words for your fellow hockey player," I snorted and Alex smirked and shrugged his shoulder.

"Let's go," he said plainly and we stood up, walked out of the locker room and towards the ice.

Naturally we were booed by the Penguins fans, but, I never let that get to me. I skated around our side of the ice, did my stretches, shot my pucks and talked to my teammates. I chose not to wear my helmet during warm up, I let my flaming natural red braided hair show as I skated around the ice. I heard my name and turned my head to see that Crosby was smirking towards me.

"Been awhile," he said as he skated to the middle of the rink and I smirked towards him.

"Yeah."

"See you made it to the NHL," he said and I looked at the 'C' on his jersey.

"See you made it to a Captain," I said and he nodded his head.

"You're teams not happy that you're talking to me," he smirked and I shrugged my shoulders.

"Neither is yours," I smirked and then skated back a little.

"Get dinner later? We can catch up," he said and gave him a sad smile.

"Sorry, I'm not allowed to associate with anyone with the last name of Crosby," I said and he chuckled, "In the Capital's rule book," I smirked, "See ya!"

"What was that?" Alex asked as he skated over towards me and I snorted.

"We grew up together, haven't seen him in about ten- eleven years," I smirked, "Don't worry, I stated the rule to him," I laughed and Alex rolled his eyes.

"There is no rule," he said and I snorted.

"Yeah, your official- unwritten rule that stats that no one should associate with a Crosby," I stated and Alex laughed and patted my shoulder.

"You're all right kid," he said and I scoffed and shook my head.

"I'm like what- three years younger than you! Are you and Green secretly grandpa age and I don't know about it?" I said and he laughed and shook his head.

Warm up was over and we went back into the locker room to finish up on some last minute things or to inspect our gear to make sure it'll last the first period. The guys kept on asking me about my past with Sidney, but I never told them anything other than he was an old friend that I hadn't seen in a long time.

First period was about to start, Ovechkin, Mike Green, Nicklas Backstrom, John Carlson and I were on the ice, Tomas Vokoun in the net. We were the first shift against Crosby, Pascal Dupuis, James Neal, Ben Lovejoy and Carl Sneep, with Marc-Andre Fleury in the net. The two captains face each other and waited for the refs to come over. I stood next to Neal and waited for this game to start, our sticks were ready and wanting to fight to get to the puck, if it was shot our way.

The refs came over, the puck was dropped, I don't know who won it, I just saw that it was flying over in my direction, '...Let's get this party started...'