Sequel: Pursuit of Happiness

The Ice Queen

014:

Chapter Fourteen
"Thanks for driving me to the airport," I smiled and Milan nodded his head, "You sure you're all right with taking a cab home?"

"I'll be fine," he smirked and I sighed and nodded my head.

Milan and I drove to the airport in my rental car because I needed to return it. My flight was due to take off in about an hour and Milan said that he was going to stay with me.

"I'll see you in about a month," he muttered as he wrapped his arms around my neck and pulled me into his chest.

"I'm gunna miss you," I said as I looked at him and saw him smirking towards me.

"I'm gunna miss you too," he said and then pressed his lips onto mine.

Milan leaned against the wall and I wrapped my arms around him and placed my hands in his back pockets. I leaned against him and told him to wake me up when my flight was called, but with his arms around me and feeling his warmth, I was falling asleep.

-Milan-
I've never met anyone who was able to fall asleep while standing up, but there she was, Alyssa was leaning against, breathing softly. I'm pretty sure that if I wasn't holding her up right now, she would have fallen to the ground.

I growled as I looked at the clock on the wall, it was almost time for Alyssa to leave, and Brad still wasn't here. I told him to be here, to see her off and apologize again if he wanted a chance to be her friend again.

When her flight was called, he didn't show, and I didn't want to wake her, but I needed to. I walked her over towards the security checkpoint and then placed my hand on her neck and then bent down to press my lips onto hers.

"Call me when you get to Buffalo," I said and Alyssa smiled and nodded her head. I held her hand until we couldn't reach anymore and my arm dropped. I watched as she went through security and then disappeared as she walked further down the hall towards her gate.

"Looch!" I heard and turned around to see Brad running over.

"You're too late," I sighed and Brad stopped running and rubbed his face and then cursed.

"I'm sorry-"

"Don't apologize to me, you need to apologize to her, get her when we're in DC in a month," I said and Brad sighed and nodded his head.

-Alyssa-
"AJ!" I smiled brightly when I saw some of my teammates as I checked into the hotel, "How was your Christmas!"

"Short," I said as the lady behind the desk handed me my keycard. I thanked her and turned to see Nick, Mike and Tomas Vokoun there.

Mike smirked and then wrapped his arm around my shoulder and we walked towards the elevator, "Anything good happen?"

'...Oh yeah...' I said and smirked a little, "Define 'good'."

"Hook ups? Break ups? Presents?" Mike smirked as he leaned into me.

"D.) All the above," I stated and Mike hip bumped me as the guys chuckled.

"Details!" Nick said and I laughed.

"What are you, a bunch of gossiping girls?! I don't kiss and tell," I smirked as the elevator door opened and I walked out backwards and winked towards the guys.

Mike's eyes widened and he ran out of the elevator and followed after me. I felt him bang into me, his arm back around my shoulders, "Come on, spill! Who was it?!"

"Like I said, no kissing and telling," I laughed as I found my room.

"Well you said there was a break up? Was it the same guy?" he asked and I shook my head as I opened my door and looked in at the single king size bed, "So who-"

"Have a good day, Mikey," I smiled as I pushed past him and slammed the door in his face.

I threw my bag on the ground and collapsed onto the bed and grabbed my phone from my back pocket. I had one text from Milan, he was asking if my flight had landed. I decided to call him, finding myself missing his voice.

"She's alive!" he laughed as he answered the phone on the second ring.

"Yeah, sorry, I wanted to get to the hotel first," I said, looking at the clock to see that it was about eleven in the morning, my flight had landed about an hour ago.

"Well, I'm glad that you made it there all right," Milan said and I smiled as I stared at the ceiling. He sighed and I was confused because he sounded sad, "Marshy showed up just as you made it to your gate."

"Oh," I muttered, not really knowing what to say to that.

"AJ, he's your best friend, you can't stay mad at him forever," Milan said sadly and I sat up and rubbed my face.

"I'm going to take a nap," I sat sharply and Milan sighed.

"All right, I'll talk to you later."

"Bye, Milan," I said and then hung up my phone and threw it on the bed next to me. My hotel phone rang and I answered it, finding that it was a message from my the desk saying that lunch was ready for the players, '...I am hungry...'

I left my room and saw some of the guys walking down the hallway, I smirked when I saw our Captain walking towards me.

"And how was your Christmas, Red?"

"It was nice, how about yours?" I smiled as we walked into the elevator and stood with some other guys. We all discussed our two day break as we walked towards the conference hall for our buffet style lunch. Everyone ate and talked about the presents, families, kids, friends, it went on and on. I sat with Alex, Mike, Nick, Sean Collins and Troy Brouwer, I was just eating my food quietly, also staring at my phone, wondering if Brad was going to call me.

"Yo!" I heard and snapped my head up to see the guys staring at me.

"You all right?" Nick asked and I nodded my head and looked at my phone when I heard it buzz, but then sighed when I saw that it was just some spam mail, "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," I muttered and then picked my phone up and debated on whether or not I was going to text him.

"You look like you're in a debate with yourself," Mike said and I sighed and placed my phone back on the table.

"It's nothing," I said and then pushed my plate full of pasta back, "I'm full."

"You hardly touched your food," Alex said and I shrugged my shoulders.

"I'll see you guys later," I said as I stood up and walked out, knowing that if I left my plate there, the guys would eat the food. I walked back up to my room and laid back down on the bed, deciding that I was just going to take an extra long nap before the game.

-Milan-
"Did she say anything?" Brad asked as he followed me towards the locker room for practice. Brad ended up giving me a ride home after he showed up late to the airport. I took a little nap, had some lunch and then was off to head to the garden for practice. We left tomorrow to head to Phoenix, because we had a game against the Coyote's the day after that.

When I didn't answer Brad's question fast enough, he asked it again. I sighed and looked at him plainly, "No," I muttered.

Brad looked a little taken back when I only gave him a one word answer, "No? What do you mean 'no'? She didn't say anything? Did you say something? How pissed-"

"Marshy! She's beyond pissed, I told her that she should talk to you since you've been friends forever, she didn't want to talk about it and now she's mad at me!" we made it to the door and I held my hands on it, just about to open it, but then decided that everyone didn't need to hear this conversation. I turned to him and sighed, but then quickly turned to glaring, "You screwed up, now you fix it before I don't even have a chance with her!" I growled and then walked into the room to see that some of the other guys were here.

Nathan was the first to see me, my locker was right near his. He saw the angry look on my face and knew something was wrong, "What's up Looch?" he asked as he looked back and forth between Brad and I.

I sighed and shook my head as I grabbed my practice gear out of the locker and started to put it on, not wanting to spill my secrets to the team about Brad and my conversation in the hall. As of now, Brad, Alyssa and I were the only ones who know about this situation, and I'm pretty sure that Brad didn't want anyone else to know, so I wasn't going to say anything. However, I wasn't sure that Alyssa wasn't going to tell her teammates.