Sequel: Pursuit of Happiness

The Ice Queen

036:

Chapter Thirty Six
We had lost our away game against Tampa Bay, the final score was four to three, we lost in overtime. We had a game the next day against the Panthers, that was another lost game, the final score being four to two. Coach yelled at us; although, Dennis and I figured it was more for the guys because he was yelling about how the guys spent too much time in the sun than practicing on the ice, our asses were stuck in Ottawa.

Two days after our loss against the Panthers, we traveled up to Montreal for our Saturday afternoon away game against the Canadiens. We seemed to have pulled our heads out of our asses for that game, the final score was three to zero, I wasn't able to score, but I assisted all three goals. But something happened in the final period of the game, the Canadiens were getting desperate, they were already behind three goals. As I was heading towards the net to try and make a fourth goal, I was shoved into the corner and I began to fight for the puck with some of the players. I felt one of their sticks connect with my jaw and I jumped back from shock and pain. The whistle was blown and I pulled off my glove to see if I was bleeding, I was, it wasn't bad though, just a little scrape. The doc cleaned it on while on the bench and then once he was finished, I was back on the ice. There were only ten minutes left in the game, I was heading back towards the goal, Nick on one side, Dennis on the other, we were passing it back and forth. I shot the puck, block. The puck was stolen and the Canadiens were heading back down to the net. I followed after them and stole it back, on my way to the net, I didn't even have the puck, I had passed it to Alex, I felt a stick on my blade and then a jerk back. My body connected with the ice and then I slid towards the net, I was groaning on the ice when my shoulder had slammed against the post, that was it for me, Doc had me off the ice so he could look at my shoulder.

"How does it feel?" Mike asked as he and some of the players walked onto the bus that was going to take us to the airport so that we could head home, we had our game against the Bruins tomorrow afternoon and I was excited to see all the guys again.

"It hurts," I sighed and placed my hand on my shoulder, the Doc had taped ice there, hoping that it would make my shoulder feel better until we got back to DC and he could see what was going on.

"It'll be all right," he said and I nodded my head.

-Mike-
"Is she all right?" Nick asked and I looked over towards Alyssa to see that she was shifting uncomfortable in her seat and had a pained look on her face.

We were in the middle of our flight back to DC and Alyssa was sitting a few rows back from me and on the other side of the plane, her hand was on her shoulder and she had her eyes clamped shut and she was biting her lip. I watched as Alex got up and walked to the empty seat next to her, her was talking to her and I watched as she laid her head on his shoulder, still griping her shoulder.

I got up and walked over towards them, bending down in the aisle, "What's up?" I asked, Alyssa didn't even look at me and Alex sighed.

"The pressure is making her shoulder hurt even worse," he said and I sighed.

'...Damn that's gotta hurt...' I said and then looked at my watch, "We have about an hour left, AJ, can you hold in there?" she just nodded her head and I sighed and then stood up, reached over and patted her knee, "It's almost over."

-Alyssa-
'...Thank god!...' I groaned as I we finally landed. I stood up from my seat and instantly sat back down, I was a little dizzy and my shoulder was so sore I wanted to rip my shoulder off.

"You all right?" Alex asked as he saw my holding my head.

"I'm dizzy," I said and then felt an arm around my waist and felt myself being pulled up. I heard Alex telling the guys to sit back down so that he could bring me up, "You better not put me in a wheelchair, I'll kill you Ovi!"

He chuckled and then walked off of the plane and leaned me against the wall. I looked up and saw him walking back onto the plane, Coach and Doc came over and looked at my shoulder. The rest of the guys walked off of the plane and we headed towards the bus that was going to take us back to the arena so that we could get our cars. During the walk to the bus, I felt like I had bodyguards around me, Alex, Nick, Dennis and Mike around me, they were making sure that I didn't fall over as we walked towards the bus.

When on the bus, I sat next to Mike and had my head up against the window. It didn't take long to get to the arena, and I knew that I wasn't well enough to drive home, so Mike ended up taking me home while Alex drove my car home since he rode with Mike to the arena.

"What happened?" Rebecca asked as she opened the door, seeing Mike helping me up the stairs.

"I'm fine, Becca-"

"She got hurt at today's game," Mike answered, walking into the house with my good arm around his shoulder.

"Oh my god, AJ! Are you all right?"

"Shoulder hurts, but I'm fine," I said and then thanked Mike when he sat me on the couch, "I'm fine guys, I'll see you tomorrow," I said as Alex walked in, handed me my keys and then patted my head, "Thanks."

"Remember what Doc said," Mike said as he and Alex walked out of the house.

"What did your trainer say?" Rebecca asked.

"To not sleep on it and to ice it a lot, the pressure on the plane made it start to swell and it was really painful," I sighed and then pulled myself up off of the couch.

"Well Brad texted me asking where you were, the guys landed a few hours ago," Rebecca said and I groaned and pulled my phone out of my carry on and turned it on to see that I had a few missed calls and texts, most of them from the guys asking if I was all right.

"Call 'em up for me, I'm going to shower," I said and then walked down the hallway and towards my room.

-Milan-
"Will you stop replaying that?!" I growled at the guys and they looked at me sadly.

"Sorry man, but you gotta admit, she was hit hard and probably hurting right now," Patrice said and I sighed and nodded my head.

"She answer her phone yet?" Andrew asked and I shook my head.

Brad's phone went off and we all looked at him, "It's Becca."

'...Alyssa's sister...' I reminded myself and watched as Brad answered his phone. They talked for a while and everyone seemed quiet, wanting to know what was going on.

"...All right, Becca, I'll let Looch know," he said and I sighed, "Talk to you later- Tell her get better!"

'...She doesn't want to been seen...' I thought as I watched as Brad finished the call and looked at me.

"She'll see you tomorrow, she's hurting and tired," Brad said and I nodded my head, "Becca said that Green and Ovechkin had to bring her home because she was dizzy- I guess the pressure from the flight home made her shoulder hurt even worse."

'...My poor Alyssa...' I thought as I nodded my head and looked over towards Chara, giving him a pleading look.

"I'm sorry, we can't leave tonight," he said and I sighed and nodded my head, really wanting to go and see her, "You'll see her tomorrow."

-Alyssa-
"I'm sorry Alyssa, that shoulder isn't well enough to play on tonight," Doc said and I sighed and nodded my head, too tired to argue since I didn't get a lot of sleep last night. He started to explain to me about my possible injury, but I wasn't paying attention, I just wanted to leave, see Milan and then go back to bed.

It was about nine in the morning, we had a Sunday afternoon game, I looked down and saw that game time was in about three and a half hours and I was upset that I wasn't going to play. Coach came in and asked what was going on, Doc told him and I listened to the end where Coach was telling me that I was going to be sitting in the box today because my shoulder needed to heal.

It was announced that I was out for this afternoon's game, disclosed as an upper body injury, but if anyone watched last night's game or highlights, then they knew where I was hurt. All of my shoulder padding didn't help for this pain, and I'm sure that if I didn't have any padding then it would have been even worse.

Doc finished up something's and I walked towards the ice and watched the guys do their morning skate, a little sad that I wasn't going to be playing against the Bruins today.

When the guys had finished and walked towards the locker room, I headed out of the arena and towards my car, I wasn't feeling dizzy anymore, and my soreness was down to a, well, it was still sore, but better than last night.

I heard my name and turned around to see that the Bruins bus had pulled up, they were going to get their skate in. I smirked and then closed my driver's door and started to walk over. They had yelled from the windows, so when the bus had stopped and the doors opened, some of the guys had rushed out, Milan being the first.

"Hey!" he smiled brightly and walked over towards me, wanting to hug me, but stopped mid hug, "Which one?"

"Right," I said and he nodded his head and placed his right arm around my shoulder and his left hand on my waist, "I'm out for today."

"I'm sorry," he said as he kissed my cheek and then my shoulder.

"How are you doin', Red?" I heard and looked to see some of the guys walking over.

"I'm holding up, be better for our next game," I said and they nodded their heads.

"Man, we're gunna beat her and she's not even gunna play," Tyler said and I smirked and shook my head.

"In your dreams! My team can handle just fine without me," I said and Milan nuzzled his face into my neck.

The Bruins Coach walked off of the bus and looked at us, I gave him a nod of my head and he returned the gesture before walking into the arena and telling the guys five minutes.

"You're gunna watch us win though, right?" Brad asked and I smirked.

"You mean lose, right?"