Sequel: Pursuit of Happiness

The Ice Queen

048:

Chapter Forty Eight
It was finally the 22nd, a week had past and I was still with the Bears. We had three other games other than the game that Milan had surprised me after. The Bears played Albany twice and then St. John's, winning all of them.

Now it was Thursday, March 22nd, the Capitals had an away game against the Penguins and I was flying out to see the game. I haven't spoken with anyone from the team except Dennis and Nick, they seemed to be worried about me. The Capitals played against the Jets and Blackhawks and lost, but then played against the Red Wings and barely won, a lot of fans are upset and confused as to why I'm not on the team anymore.

I was sitting on the plane, getting ready to fly out to the Pittsburgh airport when my phone went off. I sighed and then looked at it to see that it was Sidney texting me saying that he would send a car for me that would take me back to his house. I replied saying that it was all right, I figured he had practice anyway and had just planned on taking a taxi, but Sidney was a good friend and wouldn't have that.

I made sure to text Milan and let him know what was going on because if a picture was taken of Sidney and I together, he could think the wrong thing. Of course he was angry about the fact that I was going to the game, well, not angry, he just didn't want me to be upset because he knew that I wanted to be down there on the ice. The flight attendant told me to turn my phone off and I sighed and did as I was told.

The flight wasn't long, only about two hours or so, I slept through most of it. By the time I landed and grabbed my bag, it was almost one and Sidney should be at his house by now. The car took me straight there, and I was right, Sidney was home, but he wasn't alone.

"Red!"

'...God dammit, why is it always the blond giant...' I thought as I flung my bag over my shoulder and headed up the driveway towards with Sidney, Jordan, Geno and some other players were standing.

"It's my turn to cook the lunch," Sidney said and I snorted.

"I wasn't aware that you cooked," I said and the guys laughed.

"He doesn't," I heard and saw a young woman glued to Marc-Andre Fleury's arm, "I do, he just hosts us."

"Oh, that's nice," I said and Jordan flung his arm around my shoulders.

"Red, this is Marc's wife, Veronique," Jordan introduced and I shoved his arm off of me and then held my hand out to meet hers.

"Is your name, Red?" she asked and I smirked and shook my head.

"No, it's Alyssa," I introduced and then grabbed some of my hair, "Their creative with nicknames."

"I can see that," she giggled and nodded her head.

"Well come on, I'm starving!" I heard and then felt someone pick me up and throw me over their shoulder.

"Jordan! Put me down!" I yelled but heard nothing but laughing.

"Ok Staalsy, put her down," Sidney said as we walked into the house and I leaned back against the wall because I was a little dizzy.

"I'll get started on lunch," Veronique said and then headed into the kitchen.

"Here Jordan, be useful and put my bag somewhere," I said as I gave Jordan my bag and started to follow Veronique, "And don't look inside!" I yelled out and heard the guys laugh. I walked into the kitchen and saw Veronique in the fridge, "Like some help?"

"Sure," she smiled and I nodded my head and walked over towards her, "Marc says that you're a Capital?"

"Was," I said and then sighed, "I was dropped."

"Why? I looked at your stats, you're really good, and it must be an accomplishment to be the only woman in the NHL."

"It is, was, I don't know, it's all complicated," I said and then sighed.

"You want to talk about it?" Veronique asked and I looked at her to see that her back was to me, "I mean, I know we just met, but you seem like a nice person, and the guys adore you."

"Some more than others," I muttered and Veronique laughed a little.

"Don't mind Jordan, he's a big teddy bear," she said and I snorted, "Besides, I hear you're already in a relationship?"

"Yeah, to Milan Lucic."

"What does he think about you being here?"

"He doesn't like it, he doesn't want me to watch the game because I know I'll be hurting," I said and then looked down, "They had no reason to drop me-"

"Honey, they're men, they think they can do whatever the hell they want," she said as she grabbed a large pot and started to fill it up with water.

"Yeah but, not this," I said and then leaned against the counter and sighed.

"What happened?" she asked as she looked back towards me. I was quiet for a few seconds before I stood up and told her what had happened as we worked on making lunch.

-Sidney-
"I'm serious Staalsy, calm the hell down," I growled as I watched Jordan practically drooling over Alyssa.

"Oh come on, she's in your house! In your kitchen, bent over-"

"Knock it off, Gronk," Kris said and then slapped Jordan over the head, "She's a friend, remember that."

"Yeah, a friend," he mumbled and I scoffed and rolled my eyes, "So what's the plan for tonight?"

We were all watching as Vero and Alyssa cooked in the kitchen, getting along well, just like I knew they would. I sighed and looked back towards me teammates, "We target Green and Ovechkin."

"And win the game," Marc added and I smirked and nodded my head.

"Lunch!" Vero called and we walked into the kitchen to see Alyssa and Vero setting the table.

"I'm sitting next to Red!" Jordan yelled and then ran over towards Alyssa, with us shaking our heads.

"He'll never learn," Marc muttered and I snorted and patted my goaltender's shoulder.

-Alyssa-
"You good?" Sidney asked as we walked back towards the locker room after I had watched Sidney sharpen his skates, it was almost time for the game.

"Yeah, why?"

"You look a little nervous," he chuckled and I sighed and shook my head.

"I'm just trying to stay out of sight, I don't want the guys knowing that I'm here," I said and Sidney sighed and placed his hand on my shoulder.

"Everything is going to be all right, you worry too much, always have," he smirked and I rolled my eyes and playfully pushed Sidney, he didn't go far. When we got to the locker room door, I knew that some of the guys were changing in the room, so I leaned against the wall, "You know, I can have Vero come down and get you, you can sit in the box with the other WAGs."

"I'm good, if I'm seen, people will think I'm here to support you," I teased as I poked Sidney in the chest.

"Ouch," he smirked and I laughed a little and backed away.

"I'll just head up there myself," I said and Sidney smirked and nodded his head.

As I turned around and got halfway down the hall, Sidney called my name, I turned around and looked at him to see that his face was a little red, "You know Lucic's a lucky guy, right?"

I smirked and nodded my head, "I'm lucky too."

Sidney gave me a little nod before walking into the locker room, leaving me standing there wondering why Sidney had even said that in the first place. I sighed and then grabbed my phone from my back pocket, turned around and headed down the hallway and towards the elevator to take me to the floor where the box suites were at.

I texted Milan, just to tell him that I miss him, because that was the truth, I really did. As I stood in the elevator, everything was quiet, and I used that opportunity to think about the conversation Milan and I had a while ago.

"You're good, Alyssa, real good," he started and I gave a small smile, so far liking where this was going, "And then after the all star game, more people saw how good you were," he said and I nodded my head, "Your contract ends this year and the Bruins are going to make you an offer."

My eyes widened as I stared at Milan, "Are you serious?"

"Yeah, I mean Pete said that you'll have to work-"

"Yes!" I squealed and then jumped up from my seat and wrapped my arms around Milan's neck and kissed his cheek, "I'll do anything to be closer to you and the others."

"See, I told you that you would like it," Milan said as he wrapped his arms around my waist and pressed his lips against mine.


'...I'll be a Bruin...' I smiled to myself as the elevator dinged saying that I was on the floor that I needed to be on, '...I'll be closer to the guys, to Milan. I want to be a Bruin...'