Sequel: Pursuit of Happiness

The Ice Queen

051:

Chapter Fifty One
"Good game guys," I said over and over again as I shook hands with all of the Bruins. I wanted to hug them, seeing the heart break in their eyes, but I knew I needed to keep it professional on the ice.

It was the end of Game 7, we had just beaten the Bruins in the first round of the playoffs. I was able to play Game 4, 5, 6 and 7, they were all amazing and I was happy to be back, but everything was awkward. The only other person that I talked to was Dennis, but when we were on the ice, whether it was game or practice, everything was pushed aside and we played as a team, it was definitely something that was hard to do, but I did it.

We saluted our fans and then skated off of the ice and headed into the locker room to shower, change and do some interviews. Coach walked into the room and said that after changing there was a woman who wanted to interview me, I nodded my head as I changed out of my gear and headed towards the showers.

After I showered and changed, I grabbed my things, said bye to Dennis and then walked out of the locker room and looked around to see a woman talking with someone, her face lit up when she saw me and she rushed over.

"Alyssa, hi, Peggy Richards from People Magazine," she said and smiled, holding out her hand.

"Hi," I said happily, but tiredly and shook her hand.

"I was wondering if we could have an interview?" she asked and I looked at my watch and then looked towards the man standing next to the woman and saw that he had a camera, "Um, if you would like to reschedule, that's all right?"

"Um, can we do the day after tomorrow? I can meet you here at ten?" I asked and the woman's face lit up and she nodded her head, "Sorry, after the game and then having an early flight back home-"

"No, it's understandable, thank you so much," she said and I smiled and nodded my head.

"Can I ask what questions?"

"Oh, sorry, air head," she laughed and I didn't know how to react to that, "Your life, we want to know a lot about you, take some pictures, show the world what it's like for a woman to be in the NHL."

"Awesome, all right, well, we can start tomorrow and I'll talk you through things," I said and the woman nodded her head and then shook my hand again.

"Great, I'll see you tomorrow then," she said and I nodded my head an turned around, heading out of the arena and towards the bus that was going to take us back to our hotel since the game was in Boston.

I walked towards the bus, threw my things on the seat towards the back of the bus and then turned around and walked out, heading back into the arena, wanting to see the guys before I left. I walked towards the home team locker room, avoiding the reporters and texted Milan, asking if it was safe to walk into the room.

When he replied saying that it was, I walked into the room and saw all of the sad faces, "Aww, guys, I'm sorry."

"Red," Nathan said as he stood up and walked over towards me, "Good game, you played great."

"Thanks, so did you, you all did," I said and then hugged Nathan and then one by one hugged the guys that came up to me. I wasn't able to stay long, not wanting the bus to leave without me, so I finished up, gave Milan a kiss and then left.

I went back to the bus and sat down, leaning my head against the window and closing my eyes. I was tired and wanted to sleep, but I knew that I needed to see Milan, he was going to be upset about the loss and I wanted to be there for him, even though I was the one who made him lose.

Once everyone was on the bus, we went back to the hotel, I threw my stuff into my room and collapsed onto the bed, just staring at the ceiling. I heard my phone going off and saw that Milan was texting me asking what floor I was. I answered him and then sat up and stretched, looking around my room to see that it was clean. I heard the elevator ding and walked over towards my door and opened it, looking into the hallway to see Milan walking over towards me. I gave him a small smile and then held the door opened for him to come in.

When I closed the door, I turned around and felt two arms around me, "Wait, wait, wait," I said and Milan pulled away and looked at me confused, "I was uncomfortable," I said because he had just hugged me without letting me get my arms up to hug him back, "Come 'er," I breathed, seeing his sad face. I kissed his cheek, wrapped my arms around his neck and just hugged him.

-Milan-
I was woken up to an alarm going off, I opened my eyes and felt someone moving next to me to turn the alarm off. I sat up and yawned and saw Alyssa crawling out of bed and stretching, I looked the clock and saw that it was six in the morning.

"You're up early," I said and Alyssa sighed and nodded her head, "I thought you had today off?"

"I do, but I wanted to get some stuff done around the house," she said and I scoffed, shook my head, wrapped my arm around her waist and pulled her back into bed, "Milan," she whined and I smirked and snuggled my face into her neck.

"Sleep."

"But-"

"Sleep," I said and she sighed and relaxed against me, "Good girl."

"You're such a weirdo," Alyssa laughed and then rolled over so that she was facing me and pressed her body up against mine.

"Yeah, but I'm your weirdo," I said and she smirked and ran her fingers through my hair and kissed my forehead, "I love you, Alyssa."

Alyssa smiled bright as she pushed herself off of the bed and climbed on top of me. I slid my hands underneath her shirt and smirked when I felt her shiver at my touch. She groaned when I leaned forward and pressed my lips against the skin on her stomach. When I heard her breathe my name, something inside of me snapped and I flipped Alyssa on the bed and climbed in-between her legs and tore the shirt from her body.

It's Tuesday, May 1st, five days after the Capitals beat us in Game 7 and ended out 2011-12. That night after that game, I spent the night in Alyssa's hotel room just holding her, she fell asleep in my arms. An hour before she and her teammates were suppose to head towards the airport to head back to DC, I woke Alyssa up and left, not wanting her teammates to see me.

The second round of the playoffs had begun and the Capitals were playing against the Rangers. Game 1 was Saturday, and the Capitals had lost their away game with the final score of three to one. They won Game 2, also away, with the final score of three to two. I had flown out of Boston and into DC last night, I knew that when I got there Alyssa wouldn't be home from New York, but I had a key to her house and her sister was on vacation with some friends. So when I got there, I made myself comfortable and waited for her to get home.

I had to wait at least half a day, but I kept myself busy, mostly playing with her boxer, Duke. But when she got home, even though it was late at night, I wanted to be with her and we went straight to the bedroom.

Alyssa and I fell back asleep after making ourselves tired again and we slept for a few more hours, waking up about ten in the morning to start the day. As we were in the kitchen making some breakfast, I looked over towards Alyssa and remembered something, "Hey babe?"

"Hmm?"

"How was the People thing? I forgot to ask," I said and Alyssa turned back towards me and smiled.

"It was fun, they literally followed me around all day and we talked a lot, they took lots of pictures. She's going to finish up the article and then email it to me to get my approval."

"When's that?" I asked and she shrugged her shoulders.

"Sometime this week," she said I nodded my head and smiled at the excited look on her face.

"Cool," I said and she smiled and nodded her head.

We pretty much laid around all day, watching TV and relaxing. Alyssa had a morning skate and then a home game against the Rangers tomorrow night, it was Game 3 of the playoffs.

-Alyssa-
'...Damn...' I thought as I lined up with my teammates for the final handshake, having just performed my final game of the season.

It was Saturday, May 12th and we had just lost Game 7 to the Rangers, are season was over. I was sad and excited, because that meant that I would soon be a Bruin. We showered and changed, did as little interviews that we could and then headed out to the bus to take us to the hotel since we were playing in New York.

When I got to me hotel, I had arms wrapped around me and looked up to see Milan there. I gave him a small smile and then laid my head on his chest and allowed him to hold me. The next day we headed back to DC, cleaned out our lockers and went home.

When I woke up the next morning, two days after losing to the Rangers, I got a phone call from the Capitals GM manager, George McPhee, he asked me to come to his office so we could discuss my future.

'...This is it...' I thought, smiling brightly as I headed towards the arena, texting Milan to tell him when was happening because he was back in Boston, '...I'm going to be a Bruins...'

I pulled into the parking lot, parked my car, headed inside of the building, made it to McPhee's office and knocked on the door. He greeted me with a smile and sat me down, beginning by saying that my contract had expired and I had some offers that he would like to talk to me about.

"What offers?" I asked and George pulled out some papers in front of him.

"The Blackhawks, Predators, Oilers, Senators, Rangers and Flyers have made an offer, I am also making an offer," George said and my eyes widened and I snatched the list out of his hand.

'...No Boston?!...'