Sequel: Pursuit of Happiness

The Ice Queen

052:

Chapter Fifty Two
"Hey babe, what's-"

"Milan, I thought you said that Boston made an offer?" I asked confused because that's what I was told.

"Yeah, we did, why?" he asked confused.

"Because Boston's not on the list," I stated and then sighed, "You're not on the list."

"What?!" he asked sounding angry, "I'll call you back," he said and then hung up the phone.

I drove home, being given a day to make a decision. I walked into my kitchen, sat at my table and stared at the list on my desk, '...What if I can't get Boston?...' I thought, '...What if I won't be able to be near the guys, be near Milan?...'

My phone went off again and I looked to see that it was Milan texting me saying that he was handling and that Pete, the Bruins general manager is posting and offer, '...They what the hell is going on? Why wouldn't they tell me that Boston made an offer when they had? I don't get it...'

My phone started to ring, it was a number calling me that I didn't recognize, but it said that it was from Boston, "Hello?"

"Alyssa?"

"Yes."

"Hi, Peter Chiarelli here," he introduced and I sighed.

"It would appear that there was some miscommunication," I said and Peter laughed a little.

"It would appear so. Well, let me get right to the point, Alyssa," he said and I bit the inside of my lip, "The Bruins are indeed interested in you, you have great balance, great speed, movement, the works, your strength is questionable, but we can work on that," Peter said and I rolled my eyes, "We're currently working on a contract; however, give us a month and we'll be in contact with you."

"All right, thank you," I said and smiled.

"No, thank you, Alyssa," he said and we hung up.

I slammed my head on the counter and groaned, '...This is so messed up...'

My phone was going off again and I just wanted to throw it. I looked to see Milan calling me, I sighed and then answered, "What's the verdict?"

"They're going to make up a contract and told me to give them a month," I answered and Milan sighed.

"I wonder what happened, the paperwork was faxed into the board, why wasn't our name on the list?" Milan asked and I sighed.

"I don't know, but I'm tired and want to go to bed," I said and Milan laughed a little, seeing how it was only the middle of the afternoon, "I think I'm coming down with something."

"Uh oh, yeah, get some sleep," he said and I sighed, "Are you going to be my date for the awards?"

"The ones in Vegas?" I asked and Milan snorted.

"What other ones would I be talking about?" Milan teased and I scoffed.

"Aren't we all suppose to go to that?" I laughed and Milan sighed.

"Are we going together?" he asked and I smiled because he was a little nervous.

"We can? Though I was gunna ask my second husband to take me," I smirked when I heard Milan growl.

"Alyssa Brace, will you be my date to the awards?" Milan asked and I smiled.

"Yes, Milan Lucic, I will be your date," I laughed, "See, was that so hard?"

"Shut up," he laughed.

"All right, I love you, but I'm tired."

"All right, I'll talk to you later," Milan said and we hung up and I went to bed.

-Milan-
"Will you come out already?!" I yelled as I leaned against the dresser in the hotel bedroom.

"No! I don't like it!" Alyssa yelled from the bathroom.

"Oh shut up, you look beautiful!" Tammy yelled from inside the bathroom with Alyssa.

"Women," Nathan scoffed and I laughed a little and nodded my head.

It was June 20th, a little of a month had past, the season was over, the Stanley Cup Champions being the L.A. Kings, beating the New Jersey Devils. Today was the day of the NHL Awards in Las Vegas, we had gotten here about two days ago, enjoying the city and having fun in the casino, but now it was time to find out who won what award.

Alyssa and I were nervous because we never really made it public that we were seeing each other, but now that we were going to the awards together, hand in hand, people were going to find out. Alyssa still hasn't heard any word about the contract with the Bruins, but I wasn't worried because I know the Peter was busy with all the new rookies and I knew that he was making a contract, Alyssa should be getting a phone call any day now. I wasn't nominated for any awards this year, but Alyssa was for two, the Calder Memorial and Lady Byng Memorial Trophy.

"Ok, here she comes!" I heard Tammy say happily and I looked up to see Alyssa walking out of the bathroom wearing a dark red dress that stopped just above her knees. It was tight against her, but it looked good, she looked really good. I couldn't find the words to describe how good she looked, her hair pinned to one side, her sparkling green eyes looking at me nervously.

"Well go on!" Nathan said and then patted my shoulder, "Tell her how good she looks!" Alyssa walked over towards me, she was looking down. I walked over towards her, cupped her chin and made her look at me. I smiled towards her and then pressed my lips against hers, "Or that, you can do that."

I pulled back and stared at Alyssa, "You look beautiful."

"Thank you," she breathed and I snaked my hand down to hers and then laced our fingers.

"We'd better get going," Nathan said and we looked over towards him, "You ladies look really good."

All four of us left the hotel, headed down towards the lobby to the car that was waiting to take us to the awards. Nathan and Tammy had their own car that was driving in front of us.

"Nervous?" I asked as I looked towards Alyssa to see that she was looking out the window and her leg was tapping.

"No, why?" she asked and I smirked and then placed my hand on her tapping leg, "Maybe a little," she giggled and I then moved my hand on her thigh.

"You'll be fine," I said and then placed my hand on her cheek and then pressed my lips against hers, "We just walk the carpet, listen to some band-"

"Nickelback," she smiled and I rolled my eyes.

"Listen to people get the awards, mingle a little and the go back to the hotel room so I can tear you out of that dress and have my way with you," I smirked when I felt Alyssa shiver against me.

"You don't like my dress?"

"I like you better without it," I said and she smirked and then kissed my cheek.

-Alyssa-
"Watch out for that girl there, she'll twist your words around if you do an interview with her," Milan whispered into my ear as we stood on the carpet, fingers laced as we stood for pictures.

"The girl on the end?" I asked and Milan nodded his head.

"Come on," Milan said and I nodded my head, tired of listening to questions and flashes being thrown at us.

I heard my name and turned to see that Sidney was walking towards me and the reporters were going nuts that he was there, "You look beautiful."

"Thanks," I smiled and he gave me a small hug and then looked awkwardly towards Milan.

"I'll see you inside, just wanted to say hi before I lost you," he said and I laughed and nodded my head.

"What was that about?" Milan asked and I laughed at the jealous look on his face.

"Relax, we grew up together," I said and then we walked inside together, listening to Nickelback music already playing.

As soon as we walked into the building, we were hit with hello's, flashes, questions, hugs and smiles. Players that I became friends with from the All Star game would come up to me and introduce their wives, girlfriends or dates.

'...Too many names to remember...' I thought as Milan and I made our way towards our seats, '...This'll be a long night...'