Status: Something I'm trying out! Hope to update often!

Love Me With All of Your Soul

Prologue

I didn’t know how long things had been like this; all I knew was that things had been like this for as long as I could remember.

When I was only a little girl, we lived in a small cave in the middle of nowhere. I didn’t understand why then, but most of my family all lived together in that cave – the only ease to that overfilled capacity when several would go out to bring us food, which I now know as the food raids which were especially dangerous back then.

As I got a little older, the family came to explain it to me. Somehow, the human population was becoming the minority in the world that they had once dominated – well, partially… It was human souls that were becoming the minority since some type of alien species that lived as a Soul and needed a host had started to use the human body as such. I hadn’t seen very many Souls, being as sheltered as I was, but I had heard enough horror stories that I had become acquainted with the relaxed state of the interior of the cave. It was safer there. Especially after hearing about Mom and Dad.

No one really liked to offer much information about them, but supposedly they had disappeared while we were making another retreat not long after my birth. Needless to say, I didn’t know them very well – and couldn’t exactly miss their presence – and I was just as equally okay with being raised by the rest of the family. I was left with my three older brothers: Andrew, Collin, and Michael. Andrew was thirteen years older than me; Collin: twelve; and Michael: ten. They had become my protective guardians, even when I was a baby – and when I say protective, I mean violently protective.

I couldn’t say that I minded it too much. I, little Eliana Marie Smythe, was the princess from the time that they had taken over as my makeshift parents. It wasn’t much of a castle – that dank, little cave that we lived in – but I had grown up there so I didn’t seem to mind. I honestly didn’t know anything different; if nothing were to change, I probably would’ve stayed happily there.
But as my Uncle Stephan pointed out numerous times during this year, especially around the time that I – the youngest of the several children born in captivity – turned seventeen, we couldn’t stay in such a small area for much longer. There were fourteen of us kids assorted in the four different family systems (because what else would you do rather than reproduce when you are so confined) and it was becoming noticeable that we couldn’t stay much longer.

It wasn’t long after my birthday that the family “next door” – which was actually about a half mile walk to the next cave – came up with the revolutionary invention. Eyes… Well, not eyes, but contacts. Golden little contacts that were highly undetectable and made it virtually impossible to tell Soul from… Soulless? They glimmered in the light just like a Soul’s did and thus arose the opportunity to see beyond the walls of the cave.

It wasn’t very long after that that we were packing up and planning to move into the inner city, acting like regular Souls – though I was nervous. A scar was made to drag across our necks to those who hadn’t ventured into the city for food raids and hadn’t needed it thus far. Damn, that hurt like hell, but Uncle Stephan assured me that it would all be worth it when we could breathe fresh air again.

Los Angeles was the intended destination – or that was its original name. It sounded like a big city to me, and I didn’t know what to expect. It was all going to be new to me: a new city, fresh air, and a civilization of Souls. I was sure to be in for one hell of a ride…
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi. So this is my idea that was inspired by The Host... Been bouncing it around in my head for awhile, and I finally wanted to write it out! :) Hope you like it... Comments/Subscriptions/Reccs are always splendid.