Status: Oneshot/Completed

Through These Empty Hallways

Empty Halls

(Just gotta say that this story idea has been in my head ever since I saw Return of the King and it feels good to finally have it written down and out for people to see, I've worked really hard on this and I know M works hard on her stories to so it would be nice if you could just take a minute from your busy day to rate and maybe message us some feedback? We'd really appreciate it)

This castle had been my home for two years now, I had been brought here to marry the future Lord of Gondor.

At first I had not been so keen on the idea but after arriving at the castle and meeting the royal family things changed. The Lord scared me a little so I stayed away from him if I could, Boromir was the eldest and the one I was going to marry, Faramir was the youngest and not as loved by his father as Boromir.

Faramir tried to do everything he could to please his father but nothing was ever good enough.

Even though Boromir was a good man and it was him I was brought to Marry, the thought of Faramir's touch intrigued me my mind sometimes would wander off into it's own world where it was me and Faramir.

When the rumors of the ring came to Gondor the Lord immediately stared investigating and soon enough it was confirmed and said that a meeting would be held in Rivendell to discuss the fate of the ring.

The Lord had fallen ill and could not leave so it was decided that Boromir being the eldest would go. I remembered the day he was leaving.

-

”Do not worry Tindra” Boromir said as we walked through the halls on the way to the stables.

”I do not like this, not at all” I said with a knot forming in my stomach.

”I can not stay, My father needs me to go” He said.

Usually I would not argue with Boromir but the past nights I had been haunted by the same nightmare.

”I know that he is ill but is there not anyone else he could send, why not someone from the council?”I tried to suggest.

He stopped and stepped so that he was right in front of me ”He does only trust me to make the eight decision”

I sighed in defeat and looked down on the floor. Boromir then put his hand under my chin and tilted it up so that I was looking at him.

He took my hands in his and looked deep into my eyes as if he was saving the image of me in his mind ”I will be back and then I will Marry you”

With that tears formed in my eyes.

”Brother” Faramir interrupted our moment and it was gone.

”Yes?” Boromir asked as he turned around to face his brother.

”Everything is ready for your journey” He said.

The three of us walked on to the stables where two other men where waiting.

Boromir turned to me again, I felt the panic rise inside of me and I threw myself into his arms.

”Please, Do not leave. Stay here with me” I whispered.

”Do not worry, I will be back.” He said and kissed me, the kiss was more then amazing his lips were softly pressed against mine the warmth sending tingles down my spine and when he pulled away all I wanted was to pull him right back.

I stepped back as Boromir got on his horse, he looked at me and then turned to Faramir ”Take care of her until I return”

”I will, I promise” Faramir said.

”Goodbye my love” was the last thing Boromir said to me before he left.

-

It was a beautiful day after breakfast I was in the halls once again, this had become the only thing I did I walked around the empty halls like a ghost. I did not bother to take care of myself in any way. I was interrupted by approaching hooves, doors opening and someone screaming that he had to see the Lord and it was very important.

I ran towards the great hall, the hallway was as usual almost empty and I was soon in the hall looking at a very upset Lord.

Faramir was standing beside him and when he looked up to see me it was written across his face that something was very wrong.

He left his fathers side and came up to me, I could see now that his eyes where filled with tears.

I shook my head ”No”

Faramir took my hand in his.

”He can't be, We...we.. I” I couldn't speak ”I Heard his, The gray horn”

He shook his head ”I am so sorry Tindra”

I covered my moth with the free hand trying to keep my scream and sobs inside, I looked at the Lord and he confirmed what I suspected.

I could not take this, I slipped out of Faramir's grasp and ran away.

-

This day was coming to an end Denethor, Faramir and I were sitting at the dinner table as we did most of the evenings. As usual no one talked, this was killing me.

I did not want to be here, in this castle where everything reminded me of the man I used to love.

Most of the people around Boromir did not know him the way I did.

To his people he was a great warrior, good leader and heir to the throne of Gondor, I knew him to be a caring, loving gentle man. He just had to hide it from his father because he would see this as a sign of weakness.

Dinner was almost over when Denethor announced that Faramir would take his men to an outpost in Henneth Annûn.

-

A few days later I was outside in the citadel sitting by the White tree of Gondor four men standing guard when I heard and young man say something about the tree and a older man answer him something, I looked up from my book and saw an older man dressed in white and another man but he was barely taller than a 10 year old child he was wearing a green robe looking thing, he had to be a Hobbit. I had never seen one before so my gaze curiously followed the shorter one.

They stopped at the top of the steps to talk, I could not hear them but the older one was obviously telling the hobbit how to act in front of Denethor.

I wanted to walk up to them and ask what they might want from the Lord, it was however none of my concern what they might want.

Still after they entered I stood up and walked to the door, once I entered I saw the two men had already reached the Lord.

He however was not talking in his hands was still Boromir's horn that one of Faramir's men had found in the forest.

The older man said that he had come to help Gondor in this dark time, Denethor did not care for this he wanted an explanation to Boromir's death.

I quietly walked over to his side, the older man looked at me and then back to Denethor.

The expression on both men's faces where a surprised look, they had not expected us to know that he had passed.

The hobbit's expression then changed, it was a mixture of sadness and guilt he spoke ”Boromir died to save us, my kinsman and me”

My heart dropped, I knew Boromir to be a heroic man but...

”He fell defending us from many foes” the hobbit said whilst walking in front of the older man and kneeling before Denethor and me.

”Pippin” The older man said disapprovingly.

”I offer you my service, such as it is in payment of this debt” Pippin said still looking guilty and sad.

The older man hit Pippin softly with his walking stick and told him to get up, he then addressed the lord again. He said that there would be a time to grieve for Boromir but that it was not now. He said that the war was coming. I did not listen to the rest, my eyes where on Pippin and my mind was racing with thoughts.

This little man had been with Boromir when he took his last breaths, I needed to know what had happened and this man was going to tell me.

The older man wanted Denethor to light the beacons and call for help from Rohan, Denethor knew of Aragorn the true king of gondor was with Theoden of Rohan.

Denethor got up from his throne and growled that the rule of Gondor was his and no others. He was now scaring me and with this the two men left.

Denethor sat back down and asked me to leave, I did not mind. Being alone with him was not anything I wanted.

Later that evening I walked to the room where Pippin and his friend where staying, I knocked softly on the door and was greeted by the elderly man.

”Princess, Is there something I can do for you?” He politely asked.

”Yes” My voice was barely a whisper ”But before I ask you anything more I would like to know your name, Sir”

He gave me a warm smile ”My name is Gandalf, Would you like to come inside?”

”Yes Please” I said as he stepped aside to let me pass.

I walked into the centre of the room and turned around so that I was facing Gandalf

”You know who I am?” I asked.

He nodded ”You are Princess Tindra of the White Mountains, brought here to Marry Lord Denethors eldest son Boromir”

”You knew Boromir, did you not?” I more stated then asked.

”Yes, we both knew Princess” Pippin said from behind me, when I turned to face him he fell to his knee.

”Please stand” I said and reached out to him and helped him up. ”You said that Boromir gave his life to save you and your kinsman, I need to hear the whole story. I need to know”

I sat down on a chair as Pippin began to tell me the story and once he was done I thanked him, it was good to finally know.

That night I finally slept well, no nightmares of how Boromir had died, if he had suffered or was it quick. I now knew and my mind was at peace.

By morning I heard a heard a commotion outside, Quickly I was up by my window.

I saw the men riding from Osgiliath being chased by nazgûls, I also saw Gandalf on his horse riding towards them his staff held high as light originated from its tip. The Nazgûls retreated and the men were safe.

I got dressed and ran outside, I had to know if Faramir where among the survivors.

”Faramir” I shouted out his name over and over again pushing through the crowds that had gathered around the men.

Once I found him he jumped off his horse and ran to me ”What are you doing here, you should be in the castle”

”I had to see that you were alright, I saw what happened. I was so scared” I had tears in my eyes and a panic knot in my stomach.

Faramir pulled me into a hug ”I am alright”

Gandaldf, Pippin, Faramir and I made our way to the great hall where Pippin would swear his loyalty to Denethor.

I did not really pay any attention to the ceremony, I was just worried what would Denethor say to Faramir about loosing Osgiliath to the enemy.

Denethor sat down to eat whilst scolding Faramir, He tough that they should not abandon their outer defenses so lightly, the same ones that Boromir had so long held intact. Denethor was once again comparing Faramir with Boromir, it was not fair! They where both good men in their own ways.

This had always angered me but I had never spoken back to him about it, I still feared and respected his authority.

They talked, Faramir asked what he wanted him to do. His demands where unreasonable, he wanted Faramir to take back Osgiliath which was overrun with the enemy soldiers.

Denethor just said that much had to be risked in war and asked if there still was a captain that wold have the courage to do hit lords will.

He could not do this, was he really sending his only living son to his death.

I looked at Faramir, he looked sad and defeated. He would never be loved by his father the same way like Boromir was.

”You wish now that our places had been exchanged, that I had died and Boromir had lived.” Faramir the said.

”Yes, I wish that” Denethor said and drank his wine.

Faramir looked even more sad after his father said that, if it was possible. My heart was breaking for him, I did not want to see Faramir this sad.

”Since you were robbed of Boromir I would do what I can in his stead” it was obvious from Faramir's voice that the words from his father had hurt him deeply.

I felt like crying, I wanted to wrap my arms around Faramir and tell him to not care about his father, that he was a fool to not see what a great man his son was.

Faramir bowed to his father and started to walk towards the door, he stopped to say ”If I should return, think better of me, Father”

”That will depend of the manner of your return” Denethor spat back.

Faramir quickly looked at me before leaving, I could not let this happen but I was frozen in my place I didn't know what I could do to help. I knew I was not going to let Faramir go without a fight.

My senses finally caught up with me and I started to walk out when Denethor spoke to me.

”Where do you think you are going?”

I stopped and decided that now was the time to speak my mind ”I can not believe my ears”

”Beg your pardon” Denethor said and spun around to face him.

”The way you talk to him, like he is less worth then Boromir it sickens me.” I took a deep breath ”Faramir is just as great man as his brother, How can you not see this?”

I walked closer to Denethor and took his hand ”My Lord, I may have only lived here for two years but I have seen the strength in both your son's. Everything Faramir has ever done has just been to please you, do you not see this. You are a wise man my Lord but when it comes to love you know nothing”

Denethor looked angry but he would never do anything to me, I knew this because it would mean that I would return to the White Mountains and that would upset the people of Gondor. I had been here for two years but for the people of Gondor it did not take long for them to love me, maybe even more then they cared for Lord Denethor.

I let go of his hand and ran outside to look for Faramir, I caught up with him in the stable.

”Faramir” I said to get his attention, he turned around to see who I was and he he turned back to getting his horse ready. ”This is madness, you can not do this”

”It is my Lord's will and I must obey it” He simply said.

”It is not right for your Lord to ask this of you or of your men.” I paused and walked closer ”You ride to a certain death, you know this”

”My father would have me killed if I defied him” He said.

”If you wold defy him now and live, we could run away” I said wrapping my arms around his waist hugging him from behind.

”And where would we run to?” He asked.

”We could go back to my home, We would be safe there. Your father does not have the time to fight both Mordor and The White Mountains.” I paused again and rested my forehead against his back ”When my father passes on the throne we could rule The White Mountains together”

I felt Faramir sigh and turn around, he grabbed my arms and pulled me away from him so that he could look me in the eyes.

”Don't try and save me, I will always do what my Lord and Father ask of me. I am sorry Tindra” Faramir said and kissed me.

It was nothing like my fantasies there the kiss was pure magic, love and promises about a future. No now it was more like a good bye kiss filled with pain, sadness and regret.

He then quickly got up on his horse and left although I was close behind shouting at him.

Things like 'You are being selfish, this is just an easy way out for you, how could he just leave me here alone and one last thing'

”If you don't come back alive I will throw myself off the ledge of the citadel” Was my last try before being joined by Gandalf who thought that Denethors will had turned into madness and he asked Faramir to not throw his life away.

There was one last thing I had to try before letting Faramir exit the city.

”I love you Faramir” I shouted after him, he did stop and look back at me but it was not enough to make him stay.

He and his men left the city and the doors were closed behind them, I ran up to a tower where I tried to see what was going to happen. I could not see anything and I was soon removed by the guards.

Gandalf was waiting for me, he took me with him to a secluded place where he sat me down and tried to calm me down.

”He will not come back will he?” I asked and started to cry, I lowered my face with my hands and sobbed into them.

”I do not know Princess, I honestly do not know” Gandalf said.

I did not know how long we sat there but my sobbing was interrupted by shouting and the gate opening. I looked up at Gandalf, I did not hear yells of victory and feared the worst.

I ran towards the citadel as fast as my feet would allow me, I stopped at the top of the stairs.

Denethor was kneeling beside a stretcher where a man's body lied, I could hear him sobbing and then I knew that Faramir had fallen.

As if in a trance I walked up towards the stretcher, Denethor was walking around talking and shouting.

I looked down at the man, it was as I feared. I sat down next to Faramir's body and took his hand in mine it was till warm, he had just passed. Tears where cascading down my cheeks once again.

I did not even notice the other men around me or that Pippin had come over and was now beside me. I was in my own world and did not hear anything that was being said around me.

Denethor was rambling on about his line being ended, I was awakened from my world by loud crashes and screams coming from below.

I looked up as Denethor started shouting for the men to abandon their posts and flee, Gandalf came running and hit the rambling man so that he passed out.

Gandalf then took over the fight, Nazgûls screams filled the air as two of them attacked the city.

Panic was spreading even in the citadel and there was not much anyone could do to stop this.

I looked out on the chaos from the citadel ledge, the orc's and uruk hai's where everywhere, people where fighting for their lives. The Nazgûls where flying and taking people and throwing them down from high distances.

When I saw them walking inside with Faramir's body I also walked in with them.

Six men where carrying Faramir, four men behind with torches and Denethor leaning them into the tomb's of their ancestors. I cried as I walked behind them, Denethor had decided to burn Faramir and himself. He told the men to get wood and oil, then he turned to me and asked what I would want.

That was a good question, I wanted neither. I did not want to live without Boromir or Faramir at my side but I did not want to die either.

They put Faramir down on the floor, I walked up to him.

Gently I stroked his chin and corrected a strand of his hair, I wanted him to look his best.

Oh how I wished things had been different, I should have gone to Rohan and marry Éowen.

I would not have had to loose either of the men I cared for, I would not have been here in Gondor doomed to die.

”My Lady” Denethor said to get my attention, he wanted to know the answer to his question.

The men had returned and where placing wood on the big stone table.

I looked back at Faramir, I could have one of the men strike me down and then be burned with him but I could not do this.

”All hope is not lost my Lord, I want to see how it all will end” I said.

Denethor nodded and went back to preparing Faramir's cremation, I sat down beside faramir and stayed there until they moved him. Faramir was gently lowered onto the wood.

Denethor was bent over Faramir, talking to him.

Pippin came in and started shouting that Faramir was not dead, he even tired to remove some of the wood around Faramir. He shouted over and over again as Denethor dragged him out and shutting the door behind him.

I did not know what to believe, I wanted to believe that what Pippin was saying was true but Denethor did not and he commanded the oil to be poured over himself and Faramir.

”I wish that it would have been different My Lady, Fare well” Denethor said before stepping up on the table with Faramir. He poured oil over himself and told the men to set fire to their flesh, but before they could Gandalf and Pippin burst through the doors on a horse telling them to stop.

Denethor grabbed a torch and dropped it and the wood caught on fire.

Gandalf hit Denethor so that he fell off the table and Pippin jumped into the fire. He rolled Faramir out of the flames and put to the parts on Faramir's body that where already burning, this drove Denethor crazy and he attacked Pippin. I was frozen in terror by this whole chain of events, all I could do was look when the horse reared up and kicked Denethor so that he fell into the fire.

Denethors eyes grew wide, I followed his gaze and could not believe my eyes.

Faramir had his eyes halfway open, Denethor started screaming as he was engulfed by the flames. He ran out of the tomb and off the citadel wall, I broke out of my frozen state and ran to Faramir's side. Tears of happiness had replaced the other's and where now falling down my cheeks landing on Faramir's chest.

I stroked his cheek and felt both relieved that he was alive and horrified by the thought that we had almost burned him alive. Faramir grabbed my hand that was on his cheek and he placed his other hand on my cheek, He pulled me down to him and we shared our second kiss.

After that I helped him to sit up, he was sitting with his back against the wall. We could hear the enemy outside the door, they wanted to come and kill us. We did not know how long we had, Faramir was still weak and there where only the then men, Gandalf, Pippin, Faramir and I.

Faramir held me in his arms as we waited for them to burst through the doors and kill us, however they did not.

-

I did not understand how they did it, but Rohan along with the True king of Gondor came to our rescue. I soon learned that these people where The Fellowship of the Ring.

Aragorn the true king of Gondor, Gimli the dwarf, Legolas Greenleaf Prince of Mirkwood, Gandalf the White, Pippin and his friend Merry. Only two of them where missing, I did not count Boromir as missing since he was dead.

After making sure Faramir was taken care of I decided to join the men in the Great hall.

Upon arrival I noticed that not only four members of the fellowship where there but a familiar face as well.

”Éomer” I greeted him with a big hug.

”Princess” he said and lifted me up.

”It is good to see you” I said as he put me down.

”Likewise”

Gimli the Dwarf was sitting on the throne, Legolas was now standing next to Éomer, Gandalf was pacing around and Aragorn was standing by a window looking out.

I was standing next to Èomer, listening to the men talk about what they should do now. They talked about Frodo, the ring bearer.

They talked about attacking Sauron right on, challenging him right outside his own gates so that frodo would have a chance to destroy the ring.

”My Queen” Aragorn turned to me ”I have a request to make, I would appreciate if I could borrow your men for the task at hand”

I could not believe him, I was no queen of Gondor I could not speak for the people ”I understand the dire need of more men for the task at hand” I paused ”I however am no Queen of Gondor, the men are not mine to command. They are yours, You Aragorn are the true King here and we have awaited your return”

Said and done, they rode on to the doors of Mordor. Faramir was not well enough to join them and I was a woman so I had to stay behind.

Soon we learned the quest had been successful, the people of Gondor where rebuilding their homes but still the song of victory filled the air, the atmosphere and people's mood where on top.

The Fellowship returned, all of them and for the first time I met Frodo Baggins. The little man that had bravely carried the biggest burden of all.

He was badly injured and dehydrated, I personally took care of him and his well being.

Days later he had finally awakened ”It is alright, you are safe here. You are in Gondor”

He looked at me, a bit confused but when he saw Gandalf a smile broke out on his face.

Soon enough the rest of the Fellowship came in through the doors. Merry and Pippin ran in first and started jumping on they where followed by Gimli, Legolas, Aragorn and lastly his close friend Sam

”I am Princess Tindra, You are a very brave man Mr Frodo.” I said handing him a cup of water.

He gladly took it and drank, ”Thank you”

-

The next few days where filled with preparations for Aragorn's coronation.

I had sent word to my father that I was fine, two days later he had sent word back and I did not like what it said.

I was sitting on one of the benches in the citadel, Faramir joined me.

”The war is over, why do you look so sad?” He asked.

I looked up from the letter in my hands ”Father sent word that he wants me to return home, since neither you or your brother are stewards of this throne and Eówyn is now ruler of Rohan he does not see the need for me to be here.” I paused and looked back down ”He want's me to return and rule The White Mountains”

”I see” Faramir said.

”I should go help with the preparations” I said and hurried away.

The coronation itself was beautiful, many people where gathered and watched as Gandalf had the honor of putting the crown on Aragorns head and naming him The King of Gondor. All hailed Aragorn as he turned around to face his people for the first time.

White flower petals slowly fell down as the people continued to hail The New King.

Faramir was recovered and he was also celebrating, we were holding hands and I knew the future was bright for all of Middle Earth.

Everyone quieted down to listen when Aragorn sang, we bowed down to him as he walked past us.

He hugged Legolas and behind him came a train of elves lead by a young woman with brown long hair, pale skin and beautiful blue-gray eyes. They passionately kissed and they both shared an warm embrace.

Moving on together they reached the four short men, the Hobbits bowed to Aragorn and the woman.

Aragorn told them that they do not bow to anyone, he bowed down to them and the rest of us followed.

That evening Aragorn requested my presence in the Great hall. We were not alone, the fellowship was there as well as Faramir.

When I reached Aragorn I bowed.

”There is no need to bow” He said ”I have brought you here to offer you the place on my right. You have lived here long now and you know the people, I need your wisdom.”

”and you Faramir” he turned to Faramir ”You know the soldiers better then anyone else, I would like for you to be the captain of Gondor's army.”

My heart sank, Faramir and I had not yet discussed what we where going to do. If we where going to move on together.

I knew what I had to do and now Faramir had the opportunity to choose what he wanted.

”I am truly sorry my king, My father sent word that I am to return home and assume the position of Queen of the White Mountains. You do not need me, you are a clever king and you will do well ruling Gondor.” I said with the most respect.

”I understand and The White Mountains have an ally in Gondor, forever” He said and again turned too Faramir.

My heart was racing as I eagerly awaited his answer.

”I am sorry to my King but I have to decline your offer. My heart lies way up high in the white mountains and I hope that the soon to be Queen will allow me to accompany her” Faramir said, the last part was more to me than Aragorn.

In the history books it was written about a strong Queen from the white mountains, she survived the death of her first beloved husband to be, she survived the war of the ring, the overtaking of Gondor.

It was written about her return and taking her throne with her new beloved.

They ruled The White Mountains for over forty years before letting their children take over.

She was loved by all and she loved all, a great Queen and her beloved King.