Love Without Words

One/One

The twenty-two years old Elizabeth sighed softly with a smile on her lips, as she opened the double door into the hall, where she soon would be cheering on her favorite team, SønderjyskE, at a handball game. She held the door for her long time best friend, BrandieAnette, who was trailing behind with a grin on her face. The girls easily found their usual spot. Tribune ASection NSeat 36 and 38. They got to their seats, took off their jackets and sat down on the not-so-comfortable seats.

The silence fell over the girls, but it was nothing new. You see, Elizabeth can’t talk and she hasn’t been able to in almost seven years. Elizabeth had been doing horseback riding since she was at an age of five, but one day when she was sixteen years old she went on a ride, and just as she got back to the stables her horse got scared and balked, causing Elizabeth to fell off. And as of it couldn’t get worse, when Elizabeth landed on the ground, the horse put down its right hoof onto her throat. Something inside of her throat broke and her vocal cords got crushed, and that’s the reason why she can’t speak today. She’s able to whisper a few words, but it hurts a lot on her.

She’s been going to a lot of doctors, and every single one of them simply just told her to give it time. It could take weeks, but it could surely also take years for her to get her voice back. Elizabeth doubted though, but yet she kept on going with all of the vocal exercises she had to do to strengthen her vocal cords.

Now, seven years later, Elizabeth had a boyfriend who accepted her for who she was, and accepted the fact that she couldn’t talk. They had met each other downtown for about eight months ago, and they had been together as a couple for exactly six months today.

The girls chatted to each other through text messages on their phones. Even though BrandieAnette could talk and Elizabeth could hear, they still thought that it was way easier to just text. Soon the light went out in the hall and the commentator started to introduce the out team, while they were running into the hall on the red carpet. People in the hall were cheering, but not as loud as they would cheer when the home team would be running into the hall.

Soon the commentator started to introduce the players on the home team, one after one while they were running into the hall, while each of the players held hands with a little running next to them. It was obvious that the little kids were awfully proud, about the fact that they got to run into the hall with their favorite handball player. Into a hall that was filled up with almost three-thousand spectators.

The time passed by and soon thirty minutes had passed, which resulted in the players living the hall and Elizabeth stood up. She send BrandieAnette a text message, telling her that she’d just go greet her boyfriend and that she’d soon be back again. You see, Elizabeth’s boyfriend actually plays for her favorite team, which was the home-team for the night’s game. He is player number ‘3’, and his name is Atli Ævar Ingólfsson and he was originally from Iceland.

With that Elizabeth wandered off down the stairs, and towards the doors. She sighed softly when she waited in the line of people to get out of the main hall. Soon the people moved at she made her way to the changing room, where she knew that the coach or one of the players would let her in. Even though her and Atli hadn’t been together for a long time, every single player on the team knew who she was, and they knew about her “problem”, which she was OK with.

Just as Elizabeth approached the closed door to the changing room, the door opened and one of the ten back row players, Rune came out. He smiled at Elizabeth and pulled her in for a sweaty hug. Rune had been like an older brother for her in the last six months. Even though Rune was eleven years older than Elizabeth, she just loved hanging out with him and just have a movie-marathon, play some Call of Duty or whatever they could figure out doing. All of this either with or without Atli ;who weren’t being the typical jealous boyfriend he was just happy that his girlfriend had such good relationship with one of his team players, and that one of the guys actually understood her fully and understood her problems.

Rune let her inside the dressing room, and she immediately spotted her boyfriend with his back turned towards her. She smiled softly to the other players, who smiled back, before she tiptoed towards Atli, hoping that he wouldn’t turn around. As she reached him, she smacked his ass with all the force in her arm, causing him to let out a yelp and turn around. But before he could turn around, Elizabeth wrapped her arms around his torso from behind. She kissed his sweaty shoulders.

He turned around, still having her arms around his stomach. A smiled appeared on Atli’s lips, as he saw his girlfriend standing there with a shit eating grin on her face. He leaned down and placed a small and cute kiss on her lips, before he pulled her into a hug. Elizabeth broke the hug and tipped her head slightly backwards, and planted a soft kiss on her boyfriend’s lips.

The couple sat down in the dressing room along with the others, and talked about the game, what they were going to do after the game and so on. Well Elizabeth didn’t talk but she gladly listened to the boys, with a smile on her lips. She loved seeing some of her friends and her boyfriend being so happy, laughing and smiling all the time. In fact, she had never seen her boyfriend being fully upset or angry about anything. He had always been happy and he had actually told her a few times that he love her, but Elizabeth always just smiled at him when he said it, simply because she didn’t feel right to say it to him when she couldn’t say it, but only write it.

When there was ten minutes left before the game start, Elizabeth kissed Atli goodbye and wished all the men good luck, before she wandered off back to her BrandieAnette. Elizabeth felt sorry for leaving BrandieAnette all on her own for twenty minutes, but her friend assumed her that it was totally fine and that she had had a face-time with her boyfriend.

Before any of the girls knew it, there was only three minutes left of the game, and the nerves started to jump. The home team had 39 goals, while the other team had 39 goals as well, so it would be the final minutes that would decide who won this game. The other team missed their opportunity to score a goal, and with that Rune grabbed the ball and ran as fast as he could and just when there was ten seconds back, and jumped and threw the ball towards the goal. Within a blink of an eye, the home team had 40 goals and everybody was literally standing on their seats, cheering at their favorite home team.

Elizabeth couldn’t help but be really proud of the men on the team; she knew how much they had fought to win this game. The game would give them two points, which meant they were two points closer, to win the cup final. Elizabeth smiled as she saw Atli running around, man-hugging his team players and laughing and smiling all along. She smiled at the thought that she would have a happy boyfriend at home later on.

About an hour and a half later Elizabeth had said goodbye to her friends on the team, and she had told BrandieAnette goodbye while promising her that they’d meet up the next day. Elizabeth was now back home in her and Atli’s apartment. With Atli being in the shower Elizabeth began making some coffee, knowing that Atli wanted that after a game. She jumped on the counter after she had found some cups for their coffee.

Soon Atli come out of the shower and walked directly into the kitchen with a towel around his waist, and his hair slightly dripping onto his shoulder, letting the water roll down his back. He smiled at his girlfriend sitting on the counter, waiting on him with a cup of coffee in her hand and one placed next to her. He walked closer to her, still wearing a huge smile, and noticed that she had made his coffee just as he liked it.

Atli walked in front of her and smiled at her, while he took her cup of coffee out of her hands and placed it on the counter next to her. He placed his still warm hands on her bare thighs, making her look up at him and smile softly.

As cliché as it sounds, both of them leaned in while holding their eye contact, and soon their lips met and started working. They moved perfectly together, and with that Atli took the opportunity to lick his girlfriend’s bottom lips seductively. Elizabeth opened her mouth, letting Atli’s tongue slide into her mouth, and start a battle with her own tongue.

The kiss didn’t last long, but it sure beat the breath out of both Elizabeth and Atli. Elizabeth ended the kiss by biting down Atli’s bottom lip softly. Still being on the counter, she leaned down a little bit and placed her forehead and his, while trying to control her breathing. The pair loved moments like this, and Atli wasn’t able to describe his huge love Elizabeth.

However, what happened next surprised both Atli and Elizabeth.

I love you” Elizabeth said/whispered her first words in seven years.