Status: Working on the next Chapter

Secret

Chapter 3

The first person I laid my pretty hazel eyes on was Bradley. Captain of the basketball team, all looks, no brains—not when it came to text books, that was. When it came to screwing someone over, both literally and figuratively, he knew his way around the bush.

My saliva seemed to have gotten stuck; it didn't go down even though I tried forcing it.

"Great, new girl's got stage fright," Aiden bumped me out of his way non-too-gently sending me staggering to Mr. Ross's secretary.

"Lucky you..." I began whispering over my shoulder, sending daggers flying at stoner-boy. I shut my mouth because he was indeed lucky—lucky, that we were in the class room, or else he'd be looking up at the stars right now. "Huh. Hi." I turned to Mr. Ross's familiar oval shaped face, his short nose and the glasses nearly slipping from its bridge—he pushed them up in the nick of time, as always.

"Hello there miss..."

"Maple, Callie Maple," I mustered the winning smile I'd been practicing during the weekend. "I'm new and the lady at the office said I needed to get an admit slip?" I rubbed my arm hearing some people already gossiping about my arrival.

"Ah, yes, yes... Maple, Maple," He mumbled while racking through the stack of papers. Mr. Ross was always sort of a slob. I never knew how he taught a single class. "Here you are," He handed me a yellow paper, having miraculously found it in his roster. "Please sit wherever you like, Ms. Maple."

"Thanks," I nodded, walking toward the tables and chairs, looking over to see my old seat was no longer available. I used to sit in the front and some girl I didn't know that well had taken residence upon it.

I glared at the room as if it was rejecting me, after I saw that the only available places were: Number one, besides Bradley—as impossible as it may seem, Mr. Button-down-shirt didn't have a girl foundling over him—and number two... Aiden.

Without taking much notice of Bradley's gray eyes, I pushed my way to the back row where I spun on my heel abruptly before reaching his desk, placing my bag on Aiden's table. Now, not only Brad's set of eyes were upon me, the whole classes' were. As Aiden's crystal irises ensued a stare-down with mine, I stayed perfectly in place, refusing to break and glance elsewhere. I was going to show him I wasn't afraid of him, all the other high school peeps were. The stories surrounding him were tons, enough for three thick books of fiction. Yes, fiction because I never believed half of it.

"Take a hint," He broke the silence the room had been rolled up in. Even Mr. Ross said nothing as we faced-off.

I uncrossed my arms and with a firm hold, I was pulling the chair backward, soon I was sitting, still glaring into his clear eyes.

"I'm sure this is a free country, meaning I can sit anywhere I please." I informed with an edgy smirk. "The teacher told me to sit wherever I wanted. I chose and I'm not moving, if you have a problem you move."

There was this moment where my instinct did whisper for me to back away, Mr. Badass was about to pounce and rip me apart like a skilled puma. Aiden froze his eyes at me once more before snorting arrogantly and turning to the front. Ah-ha. So much for all that intensity of his, he probably just did all this to get laid. The bad-boy facade worked more often than not. Suddenly all the class was whispering, until Mr. Ross finally took charge of things. I was opening my new notebook just as he strolled up to me, actually.

"I forgot to give you this," He slipped the book onto the table. My eyes twinkled somewhat. It was a copy of Dante's Inferno—goody. "We began examining it a few classes ago, three I believe. I'd ask your partner to get you caught up, but seeing as he was absent in the last few weeks..."

Aiden stretched his legs crossing them at the ankles. I leered at my so called partner, he sneered.

"Huh..." I huffed shortly. "Don't worry, Mr...?"

"Ross," He answered, I nodded as thanks.

"Don't worry, Mr. Ross, I've already read the book. It's actually one of my favorites, right up there with Count of Monte Cristo." I smiled politely, my confession made something lit in his pupil. I was already winning points.

When he walked off, Aiden coughed over his words, "Excuse me?" I whispered between teeth.

"I said," He leant towards me. "You're a suck up."

"Better to be a suck-up then a flunk." That made him retreat to his chair, but the pleased expression didn't move. "Wanna see where you end up in five years from now..." I muttered opening the book flipping through a few pages.

I tapped my pen softly over the notebook as I waited for the questions to start. Mr. Ross's classes always had a round of ten-to-fifteen questions, when he finished the blurb about the book for those who paid lesser attention—it would begin. Since I was impatient I skipped to the notebook's ending page, starting a few doodles of stars and musical notes, nothing special I was never a big artist. It was to pass the time. Apparently it worked like a charm because once I lifted my head to face the front of the class it was to give an answer.

"In my opinion, throughout the book..." I hesitated recalling these people had attended four years—at least—of classes with me. Wouldn't they find it strange that the new girl answered just like the deceased popular-good-girl? Then again, I thought to myself, who would even put up the possibility of me being Evie? It's crazy. With a reassured mind, I carried on. "Dante is the only character that develops." I tapped a finger gathering a follow up example quickly. "Dante goes from pitying the damned souls to passing cold judgment on them, it's a linear progression, I believe... and the behavioral change might be due moral realization that sin should be unreservedly abhorred and God's justice infinitely revered."

I quieted down leaving multiple students in awe and looking at me like I'd landed from Mars. Perhaps it had been a bad idea to answer so completely, but I wanted—as Aiden said—to suck-up to Mr. Ross. I couldn't let the grades go to hell just because my previous life had.

"That is quite the point of view, Ms. Maple and its accurate none the less." I think I even saw his lenses flash with emotion. "A very nicely constructed answer indeed..." He muttered turning to the board to write another question.

My eyes caught Brad shifting restlessly in his seat. I tilted my head just a little bit more—he flashed a wide grin. I rolled my eyes ignoring him. It appeared his sleeked blond hair remained just as I knew it, as did the pearly white teeth that could light up a barn. It seemed like nothing had changed in two weeks. It was good though for me.

A few more inquiring questions later the bell rang, telling us to spill into the hallways and roam them like crazy. I stepped a foot outside the classroom and—bam!

"Argh," I grunted colliding with a firm, though, cushy surface. Of course it had to be him... "Are you planning on letting me live my life?" I grabbed the bag from the floor, standing my ground as Aiden took a step closer.

"Huh," He chuckled huskily. "I'd say you're the one following me. What will your Mother say? It's the first day and you're already majorly obsessed with some random guy—who can blame you though? I'm that attractive."

Really? I needed to get things done today and this asshole was blocking my path, not to mention the clock was ticking until the next class. I really needed to find a special someone.

"Only in your dreams and in my nightmares I'd be obsessed with you. The spot next to you was available so I took it, not like you own the school or anything. Besides, I didn't want to sit with him." I whispered slitting my eyes in Bradley's direction, watching as he talked with a few more basketball team players.

"Wha—" He laughed cutting himself off. "You didn't want to stay with Mr. Popularity? I know you're new but even you have got know what the jacket Brad-man has on means." I couldn't help to giggle at the absurd name Bradley had given himself ever since junior year. Aiden was definitely using it for mocking terms. "Any girl would kill for a chance of one minute alone with him—imagine sitting through entire English classes'."

"I'm not like all the other girls." I decided to pull my bag over my shoulder, turning away, preparing to hunt for my new locker.

"Either that, or you have brain damage."

Hmm... possible, since Callie's head withstood a great hit falling from the house's roof, on the other hand no. It was all Evie Simmons. Me and Bradley had dated in freshman year, it ended in complete and utter disaster. I never wanted to look at him again, too bad I had to. I saw, with extreme pleasure, that pot-boy wasn't trailing me through the sea of faces.

"Amen," I recited silently. I wasn't looking to strike a friendship with the worst bad-boy in Ashley high.

I couldn't hear my heels click into the high school's dirty-white floor, but I knew they made a hollow noise. I glanced down at the paper checking the combination locker—186—then glanced to the metal doors, knowing I was close to it. I nearly walked into a guy, narrowly avoiding him. I ducked my head wondering if my locker was on the bottom—I hated those... but in the haste of doing so... I saw the announcement board. A flier; a flier with... with my face on it—the real one. In capital letters, it read:

EVELYN SIMMONS—MISSING

I lurched at the phrase, at the black and white photograph where my previous face smiled cutely, the almond eyes open with expression under a set of styled bangs. Time stopped for me as I found my head aching. I wasn't sure if it was because it was the first time I was seeing my real-self after dying... or because the paper said I was missing. Provided I didn't know what had happened after I bled out in the heart of the green woods, I thought they'd found my body. I thought that maybe Camry had regretted what she did, called an ambulance, or even told everyone it was an accident. But she'd done none of those things—none.

My breathing itched with each deep, strangled breath of air I managed to draw in. Reaching a shaking hand, the tips of my fingers brushed the photo. I didn't care that my behavior was off, I just felt so... void; like I didn't belong here. I snapped my fingers away as if fire had licked them, my arm hung limply at my side, a dead twig.

"Do you know her?"

Now there was a familiar voice along with a known face. She was tall for a girl, moss colored eyes contrasted with her walnut hair and its noticeable, orange, highlights.

I didn't cry often, but I wasn't opposed to hug someone like I never wanted to let them go—and right now, that was all I wanted to do to her.

"Jane," I whispered, but already the urge of slapping myself built up.

The widening of her eyes caused my fingers to curl in a nervous streak. Various flashes seemed to go through my brain while green and hazel connected. I saw two kids jumping rope, pushing one another on the swing, studying together, talking on the phone for hours about everything and nothing—Jane Campbell was my non-related sister; she was my best friend. The one at the top of the list. Camry and me met when we joined cheerleading, there wasn't an instant bondage, not like with me and Jane. While I had been on the cheerleader team, Jane was on the swimming team. We were friends for so long—real friends. She was the person I told everything to. And now... now... it was eating me to not say a word.

"Hey—wait!" I heard the loud yell over the chit-chat drowning the hallways.

I ran as much as I could in these heels, tripping slightly when I made a curve. If I recalled correctly the bathroom was just around—

I breathed brutally fast bracing my hands upon the fake-marble of the counter sink. My appearance was becoming far from perfect, closer to disheveled. I wasn't prepared for that. I shouldn't have said her name—now she'd know something was up. I think she already did. Jane had something close to a sixth sense when it came to me. When our eyes interlocked I could swear I wasn't the only who felt a shiver jolting my entire frame, from top to bottom. It was too unreal, the entire situation was.

With a last glimpse at the large wall mirror, I pulled myself together; sorting out the thin hair from its messy waves and checked the slight makeup.

I stepped through the red bedroom door... why did I keep bumping into people today? I blinked two times straight.

"I'm sorry..." A guy's voice muttered. I glanced upward gazing into oak eyes, my lips moved and no sound made it out, which was very strange. Maybe a side effect from changing bodies? "Is this…the man's room?"

I gaped at the handsome—though, not very tall guy, for a minute longer, before looking over my shoulder where the sign was... God, this day wasn't going at all like I planned. Glancing back with a firm guilty smile, I answered.

"Yes, yes—it's totally the man's bathroom." I can't believe I'd been so caught up in my turmoil and hyperventilating I hadn't noticed the urinals... I always found those things disgusting. "I was just in a hurry and well—" I gave a little nervous smile along with a chuckle. "It's my first day here, my inner-compass hasn't been calibrated yet."

The boy with sandy hair smiled gently, giving a look around us.

"I think I can forgive you, since it's my first day here, too." He shrugged lightly when I made a-you-don't-say expression.

My head tilted a bit, that explained why I hadn't recognized him even a tiny bit. A new student, just like me—and yet, so different. I jumped from my slight daydream when he jabbed his hand forward—jabbed was a strong word, more like held it out.

"I'm Derek Bloomwood," His eyebrows made a funny gesture when he smiled.

"Huh," I intoned, caught off guard. "Callie..." Derek's warm hand curled softly over mine. "Callie Maple."

"Nice to meet you, Callie," We shared another smile and our hands returned to our sides.

I nodded imperceptibly giving myself the cue to take off—

"Hey," He called. My shoulders tensed for a little while. "Do you want to sit at lunch with me?"

I pressed my lips lightly, knowing a smile was tugging them open. Slowly I turned, posing myself as if I were a model.

"Are you coming on to me?" I was blunt, pure and simple. Sue me.

Derek's mute eyes crinkled a bit.

"It seems that way, but it has a justifiable explanation." I crossed my arms sporting a dubious look. "We're both new, we don't know anyone and there's nothing worse than to sit alone in a school's cafeteria. I figured we could keep each other company," Derek shoved his hands into the pockets of his denim jacket. "And maybe become friends while we're at it."

My know-it-all smile prevailed a little while longer until I batted my lashes.

"Okay, I'll look for you in the cafeteria later." I promised as he waved two fingers my way, before walking into his gender's bathroom.

So, he was cute. Kind of hot, actually—but so not the main focus of my problem right now. I didn't understand why I hadn't seen Camry yet, by now she'd be walking these halls by a third time—convinced she was allowing everyone below her social status to have a nice day, just because she was showing herself off.

Now that I thought about it, I hadn't seen one single cheerleader... could it be that they were on a cheer leading competition? I think there was one before... well, I got wiped out of the map. I couldn't be honest-to-God-sure, my memories were sort of hazy from back then, especially the last ones, the ones I needed most.

Anyway, Camry's car being parked outside meant nothing. Sometimes she left it in the school's parking lot and rode home with Brad or another cheerleader. It wouldn't be the first time she'd do it.

Wasn't that a good thing, though? Maybe I needed more time to prepare for confrontation with her. If seeing Jane was that hard... how would I react seeing the person responsible for my situation?

When Jen called me down for dinner I almost crawled down the stairs. Keith nearly made me trip when he ran down in front of me. That dog had way more energy than I did, and right now, I kinda envied him.

I'd spent the last of my day playing Charlie's Angels throughout the hallways in hopes to avoid Jane. That mission had nearly backfired if I hadn't ducked my head while she exited the lunch room and I walked in, thank God she preferred to eat outside.

When I sat down at our quaint dinner table everything was already in place. I could see Jennifer had made Callie's favorite—spaghetti. I'd read that in her diary, those things were really useful.

"Do you want me to serve you?" I yelled as she returned to the kitchen to get orange juice.

"Sure, sweetie!" I heard.

Keith barked dropping a ball by my feet. I finished serving Jen so I could toss it into the living room. In less than a second, he was sprinting after it.

"So," Jennifer set the juice by my side. "How was your first day? Fun?"

Oh yeah, so much fun. I thought a bit dryly. I panicked when I saw my BFF, I discovered my body hadn't been found which ultimately made my family believe I'd run off, the school's bad-news AKA: Aiden, seemed to enjoy annoying the crap out of me—testing my limits—and the cheer leading squad was off until next week. A very great day to kick it off, I'd say.

"Oh you know, same old." I shrugged, wrapping my pasta into a neat fashion then taking into my mouth.

"Any hot boys there?" I didn't gauge or anything, my eyebrow perked. "Wow, you used to cough whenever I asked stuff like that. I definitely see improvements here, not to mention the clothes you picked out," She shook her head as if her biggest dream had come true. "You were looking so beautiful this morning. Honestly, I never understood why you wore those baggy clothes—no offense honey, but they didn't suit you, not anymore."

I knew exactly what she meant. There was no understanding why Callie would hide herself like that. I saw her body—all of it, there was no imperfection. Some girls weren't cut out, or they bloomed late. I wouldn't judge.

"I'm glad you like it... Mom," I tried not to hesitate too much while saying. After all, Jen was going to me my Mother from now on. I had to get used to it, it wasn't easy. "And there were these—I mean this cute guy." What was I thinking? The word 'hot' had triggered the instant image of Aiden stretching in the chair beside mine, and only afterward, had Derek's sizzling oak eyes made an appearance. I did so not fall for that bad-boy crap. "We had lunch together, because he was starting today like I was."

"Oh, my little butterfly is exiting the cocoon!" She chirped clapping her hands excitedly. A blush formed on my cheeks and what came next couldn't be helped...

"Mom, stop, that's embarrassing!" I laughed. And for a minute, I felt alright, normal; like another kid who was dinning with her mother.

"Ah, it can't be helped!" Jen sighed proving herself to be a lost cause. "This cute guy has a name?"

"Derek," I drawled adjusting myself on top of my chair. "He moved from Ohio, he lives with his parents, practices baseball and his favorite color is green."

It had proven to be quite the interesting lunch. Derek was polite, funny and had a certain hidden charm. He didn't like cats, dogs he tolerated...

"Seems like a nice kid,"

"Yeah... only he has a snake for a pet." Me and Jennifer made a wrinkly face at the same time. "Yup... can you imagine? It gives me chills just thinking about it." It was strange that this talk was the most normal I had with her since I woke up in the hospital, what boys could make happen…

"I'm sure you can overlook it if you want, but besides him, any new friends? Oh and before I forget, Brittany called while you were showering."

Brittany… I think that was Callie's best friend, which sucked since I had my own best-friend-issues to deal with. I was way over my head here and with no one to talk about it… I think I was going to blow up soon.
♠ ♠ ♠
This one was a little bigger, I've been bussy, so let me know what you think :)

Also I've updated my Characters, check it out if you like.