‹ Prequel: Almost Perfect
Status: Updating...

Playing for Keeps

Chapter 1

“Daddy!” Stacy watched as 2 year old Evelyn ran up the front walk way to her father and couldn’t help but smile as Adam picked their daughter up and spun her around. Adam had just gotten back from touring with his band again for their Songs about Jane album. The band had virtually been touring non-stop for the last two years and now decided to slow down in 2006 and start working on a new album.

“Hey baby girl! I missed you so much!” Adam grinned at the curly, brown-haired little girl as she looked up at him with her big blue eyes. Her eyes reminded him so much of Stacy’s that it was almost hard to look at her sometimes.

Since the whole fiasco in 2004 with the pregnancy scandal Stacy and Adam had worked out their differences and remained friends. It was hard at first but Stacy couldn’t keep Evelyn from her father so they decided to be civil.

Stacy followed slowly after Evelyn and greeted Adam, “Hey, how was your tour?”

“It was amazing, we hit so many countries! I can’t believe how insane these last few years have been.” Adam meant more than just the touring which he was sure Stacy caught on to.

“I’m glad,” She smiled, Stacy was glad he was so happy.

“How have you been? How’s our little munchkin been?” Adam tickled her belly and she giggled loudly.

“I’ve been fine, still working at the hospital and love it. I spend most of my time with Evelyn when I’m not working.” Stacy didn’t have much to say, her life was a continuous routine of work and spending time with their daughter. She went out with her friends now and then but she didn’t date. She couldn’t after what happened with Adam, she was hurt too deep to start looking again.

The last two years had been filled with drama and while Stacy ended things with Adam after the one night stand scandal she never fully got away from all of the lime light and the constant chaos that surrounded Adam. Stacy dazed off watching Adam interact with Evelyn……….

A few months after it was announced that Adam was the father of the baby he of course did the honorable thing and decided to be there for the child. Adam went through 6 months of “pregnancy hell”; he helped Kari out with bills so that she could live comfortably while she was pregnant because Adam didn’t want anything to happen to the baby, he took care of everything, he even offered to go to appointments with her but she wouldn’t allow it. Adam had always found it unnerving that she so secretive about her pregnancy and was curious as to why.

Well one night Adam was at a new club opening downtown with a few of his friends and while he was at the bar ordering another drink he spotted her. There was Kari, bellied up to the bar with a martini in her hand, pounding it down as quickly as she could. Bellied up isn’t the best term to use because Adam approached her and realized that she no longer looked pregnant, her stomach was completely flat. He had just seen the woman two days prior to give her money for her supposed doctor’s bills and she had a very large baby bump, much larger than Stacy had when she was 6 months along.

Adam approached her and tapped her on the shoulder, causing her to spin around with a giant smile on her face, until she saw who it was.

“Adam!” She exclaimed, immediately scrambling to cover up.

“What the fuck?!” He yelled in her face, making many people around them turn to stare.

“I can explain,” She stuttered foolishly. ” I really was pregnant!”

“You were never fucking pregnant were you?! You ruined my life all because you wanted money!” Adam was so upset. He pounded his fist against the bar. “Answer me!” He shouted at her.

She jumped, “I was! I swear I was! But…..I had a miscarriage the second month and I just-“ She was yelling right back at him now.

“Fuck you! I’m done with you and I’m done paying your bills, good luck you bitch!” Adam stormed out of the bar, anger running through his veins. He got out onto the street in the cool air, instantly punching the first light post he saw. He felt like he could puke, he needed to talk to Stacy; he needed to explain what had happened. He hadn’t given up on them yet, he was holding out for a miracle.

Stacy snapped back to reality when Adam invited her in for coffee, “I just made a fresh pot before you came.”

Stacy debated; she and Adam hadn’t sat down to talk in such a long time, not since he told her what had happened with the hooker. After he found out about Kari he attempted to get Stacy back but she rejected him. Her reasoning being that it had been too much for her to handle living in the eyes of the paparazzi and all of the unfortunate events that surrounded their relationship. She gave him hope saying that she just couldn’t do it right now and that maybe at some point in time they could make it work again.

Adam had tried for a while after that to make her realize they could still be a family but after a year of getting nowhere he decided that maybe it was truly time to move on.

“Yeah, I guess I can come in for a little while.” Who was she kidding, after she was done dropping Evelyn off for the weekend she was just going to go back to her town home and mope.

“Great!” Adam smiled as he headed towards the house, holding the door open for her. “Would you like some chocolate milk Evie?”

“Yum!” The little girl clapped her hands and waddled off towards the kitchen when Adam put her down inside the house.

“She’s getting so big, I can hardly believe it.” Adam commented as they walked side by side into the kitchen that they used to share.

“I know,” Stacy nodded. She glanced over at Adam in awe as he looked at their daughter with such love. “She really missed you, she asked about you every night before bed.”

“I missed her too; I’m glad that we won’t be touring for a while now. It’s too hard not being here to watch her grow up.” He said thoughtfully.

Adam fixed both of them a mug of coffee, adding creamer just the way Stacy liked it before sitting down at the table next to Evelyn and across from Stacy.

They talked about anything and everything, Adam mostly recalling funny stories about what happened on tour and Stacy filling him in on silly little things Evelyn had done while he was away.

“I left the room for 30 seconds and when I came back she had taken out all of the diaper wipes from two whole packages and they were all over the floor and her!” Stacy pulled out her phone and showed Adam the picture, causing both of them to laugh. Evelyn even joined in, although she had no idea what was going on.

“What a little stinker!” Adam laughed.

After the laughter had subsided they both looked at each other, each smiling slightly, enjoying the friendly conversation that didn’t happen all too often anymore.

“What happened to us?” Adam asked. “We used to be so great together.”

“Life happened,” Stacy shook her head. She didn’t want to dive into their past again.

“Stacy, if you would just be willing to give us another shot-“ His eyes were pleading with her.

“Adam, we can’t just go back to the way things were after all of this!” Stacy tried to explain. “Too many things happened, I mean obviously things weren’t working between us if you had to go to Vegas and sleep with another woman!”

“I was drugged!” Adam exclaimed.

“Fine, but we had so many problems. It’s clear that things just weren’t working out as well as we thought they were.” She shook her head, she had thought about this a lot over the last two years and she realized that the way they were just wasn’t working.

“Well then let’s start over! We can learn from our mistakes!” He was positive they could make things work, they loved each other far too much to let go now. He dated a few other girls in the last year after he had tried moving on from Stacy but no one ever measured up. They held his interest for a while but then eventually he would grow tired of them and end things.

“I don’t know Adam….” She finished the last sip of her coffee and just studied him.

“I’ll prove to you that we can do this.” He smiled, he already had ideas brewing in his mind and he was about to prove to her just how great they could be together!

Stacy just shook her head and smiled at him, “I better get going, thanks for the coffee.”

“I’ll see you on Monday morning when you pick her up.” Adam said.

Stacy nodded, “See you later sweetie,” she smoothed Evelyn’s hair and kissed her forehead. “I love you.”

“Love you too mama! Bye!” The little girl called with happiness as she smiled at her mother.

“Bye Adam,” Stacy looked in his direction as she headed towards the door.

“Drive safe, we will see you later!” He was grinning mischievously, almost causing Stacy to stay and ask what he was up too.

Instead she refrained and put her shoes on before exiting the house and heading for home, leaving Adam and Evelyn to bond for the weekend.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so sorry it took me so long to post this! I moved and thought I would have internet sooner than I actually did! But here is the first chapter to the sequel to Almost Perfect...FINALLY!
It didn't come out quite the way I wanted it too but I have a lot of ideas for this story so I hope you stick with me :)
Enjoy the chapter and PLEASE leave me some comments with feedback on what you think! Thanks for all the great comments on my first story! I hope you enjoy this one just as much!