‹ Prequel: Almost Perfect
Status: Updating...

Playing for Keeps

Chapter 2

The following day Stacy was just finishing her work shift when she saw an embarrassing display of flowers on the front desk. She walked towards the charge nurse as she waved her over.

“Someone sure thinks you’re special,” Martha winked at Stacy as she pointed at the flowers.

“For me?” Stacy asked, surprised.

“Yeah! They just came, who are they from?” The older woman asked.
Stacy shrugged and pulled the card out from the large bouquet. She opened the small card and smirked as she read,

“You’re more beautiful than any flower.
Sincerely,
Your Secret Admirer”

The flowers had to be from Adam; of course he would send her some corny card with a massive display of flowers to get her attention. This was his first idea to win her back and unfortunately it wasn’t going to work. The sight of the flowers only irritated her, she had never been the type of girl that was overly excited about flowers and she thought Adam knew that.

She sighed as she took hold of the oversized vase and brought it into the employee locker room with her so she could grab her things.

Stacy decided to call Adam on her way home so he knew that she wasn’t impressed with the flowers and that he really shouldn’t waste his money on her, it was no use.

“Hello?” He asked, sounding distracted.

“Hey, it’s me.” She said, knowing he would recognize her voice.

“Hey, what’s up?” He responded.

“I got the flowers.” Stacy got straight to the point.

“What are you talking about?” He sounded confused.

“The obscene display of flowers you sent me today at work? I got them Adam,” She rolled her eyes as he tried to play dumb.

“Stacy, I didn’t send you any flowers.” He assured her. “I’ve been at my Dad’s house with Evelyn all day.”

“Adam seriously? Why won’t you just own up to it?” She didn’t understand why he was acting this way.

“Stac, why would I send you flowers when I know you don’t even like them?” When he said that she knew he wasn’t the one to send them. Adam knew her too well for that; he wouldn’t make the mistake of sending her flowers like that.

“Oh,” She trailed off, unsure of what to say now.

“So there wasn’t a card with them?” He asked, now sounding more interested in the conversation and less distracted like when he first answered.

“Well there was, it just had this corny line and it was from my secret admirer so I figured it was you.” Stacy explained.

Adam’s heart started to race, someone else was sending the mother of his child flowers. He gulped down the lump in his throat, “Interesting…..”

“I guess,” Stacy wasn’t sure what to think now.

“Well, is that all?” Adam asked, he didn’t know what else to say. Adam was now completely uncomfortable on the phone, knowing that she was being pursued by another man.

“Oh, um, yeah.” Stacy stuttered, surprised at Adam’s quick need to hang up the phone.

“Ok, I’ll see you Monday morning.” Adam said, hanging up before Stacy could even respond.

The woman drove the rest of the way home, trying to wrack her brain for ideas of another person that would send her flowers. By the time she reached her town house she was completely stumped and totally unaware of events that loomed in her future.

It was Sunday afternoon and Stacy was on her lunch break at work, praying that the rest of the day went fast. She was excited to pick up Evelyn tomorrow and spend the day with her, she missed her all weekend. She had planned a day for them to go and get pedicures (Evelyn would just get her toes painted because she would lose patience) and then they would go get lunch together. She had just finished her yogurt when one of the doctors walked into the break room.

“Hi Dr. Benson,” Stacy said politely. He was a neurology physician and he had always been nice to Stacy, he was a man in his mid 30’s and fairly handsome.

“Stacy, how are you?” He smiled at her and sat down at the table across from her with a cup of coffee.

Stacy was surprised by his action because the physicians have their own break room and it was rare for them to mingle with the nurses.

“I’m good, thanks.” She smiled at him. “How are you?”

“I’m doing well,” He looked at her thoughtfully, not saying anything else.

Stacy tried to go about her business but she felt uncomfortable in the silence.

“Is there something you wanted to talk to me about?” Stacy questioned.

“Actually yes,” He nodded and squared his shoulders, looking her in the eye. “I’m usually not this forward but I was hoping maybe you’d like to go out to dinner with me?”

Stacy couldn’t hide the shocked look on her face, they had always been friendly but she had never gotten the vibe that he was interested in dating her.

“Oh,” She couldn’t think of anything else to say.

“You don’t have to answer me right now, just think about it.” He stood up from the table. “Did you like your flowers?”

“So you sent them!” She laughed, “I had no idea who could possibly send me those.”

“Really? I thought it was pretty obvious that I’m interested.” Dr. Benson seemed so sure of himself, but Stacy felt like he was much more subtle than he believed himself to be.

“Honestly, I’m surprised that you’re asking me to dinner.” She wanted to be up front with him.

“Well I think you’re an interesting woman and I’d like to get to know you better,” He told her.

Stacy thought about it for a moment, he was a nice guy and it couldn’t hurt to get back into the dating world.

“Okay, I’ll have dinner with you.” She agreed.

“That’s great!” He smiled, “I’ll make reservations for us. Is Friday alright for you?” He asked, “I took the liberty of checking your schedule and I know you have the weekend off.”

Stacy was a little disturbed that he looked at her schedule but brushed it off, “I’ll have to see if I can find a babysitter or see if my daughter’s father can take her for the evening.”

“Here’s my number, just let me know what you come up with.” He handed her his card and then smiled before saying goodbye and exiting the break room.

Stacy sat back in her chair, she wasn’t sure what to think about having a date. The man was nice and all but he wasn’t exactly her type.

She dreaded going to pick up Evelyn all of the sudden, having to ask Adam if he would watch her on a Friday night so that she could go out on a date….it was bound to be an awkward situation.

Stacy finished up her shift and headed home for the night, thinking about what she would say to Adam tomorrow and what her first date would be like after being out of that scene for close to two years.
♠ ♠ ♠
There's chapter two. Kind of a little filler chapter so I can get to the good stuff :) Hope you enjoyed! It was so great to hear from all of you via comments after the first chapter was posted! It means a lot that you are all so supportive! Let me know what you think of this chapter as well!