‹ Prequel: Almost Perfect
Status: Updating...

Playing for Keeps

Chapter 3

“I have a meeting with my publicist that evening,” Adam explained when Stacy asked if he could take Evelyn at six o’clock Friday because the doctor had made a reservation for 6:30. His named was Eric but Stacy just felt weird using his first name because she only knew him as a neuro physician in the ICU. “I should be done by six so I could stop over and pick her up on my way home.”

“That would be great, thank you Adam.” Stacy smiled as she stood in the entry way of his home.

“What do you have going on?” Adam questioned. She was hoping he wouldn’t ask but she should have known better.

“I um,” Stacy looked down at her tennis shoes, “I have a date.”

She looked back up to see a surprised look on Adam’s face. “Oh, I didn’t realize you were dating.”

“Well, I’m not exactly.” She shrugged. “The man that sent me the flowers, it turns out he was a doctor at the hospital and he’s wanted to ask me out for a while and he finally did yesterday.”

“So you’re going then?” Adam clarified.

“I’m going,” She nodded.

They stood there, an awkward silence surrounding them.

“Mama, I hungry!” Evelyn whined from beside her, tugging at her scrub pants.

“Ok sweetie, we can make dinner when we get home.” Stacy smiled down at her daughter; she had missed her the last few days.

“Well, I guess I’ll see you Friday then.” Adam shuffled his feet, looking down. He seemed disappointed at the news that she had a date.

“Thanks, I appreciate it Adam.” She smiled at him before reaching down to pick up Evelyn’s bag. “Come on Evie, let’s go home.”

She took the young girls hand and watched as she waved goodbye to her father, “Bye Daddy, love
you.”

“I love you too sweet girl, I’ll see you in a few days.” Adam waved back, watching sadly as the two loves of his life walked out of his house. This wasn’t how it was supposed to be.

The week passed quickly and before long Adam found himself in the Land Rover and on his way to Stacy’s. He had just finished a meeting with his publicist about how they wanted to handle the promotional media for their new album and now he was going to pick up Evelyn. He was running late unfortunately which meant that he would more than likely run into the man that was taking Stacy out on her first date since him.

The thought of another male taking her out provoked a very protective feeling inside of Adam. He still loved her and he found it really hard to picture sharing her with someone else and having another man help raise Evelyn. He had called to let Stacy know he’d be to her house at 6:30 and she seemed fine with it which to him, meant that she wasn’t too excited about the date.

Adam pulled into the drive way of her modest town home next to a silver Lexus that was already vacant on the tar. He quickly got out and walked up to the front door, knocking softly before taking a step back and shoving his hands in his pockets, waiting.

Stacy was nervous; she had put on a simple black pencil skirt with a teal blouse and silver jewelry. She wore her hair down and curled, unsure where they were going and hoping she wasn’t overdressed.

When Eric arrived in a suit and tie she realized that she had made the right decision on an outfit. He had promptly arrived to her house at six o’clock with, surprise, surprise, more flowers! She thanked him kindly and rushed to put them in a vase in the kitchen. She had explained to him that Adam would be running late to pick up their daughter which seemed to irritate the doctor.

“Well I hope they don’t give away our table then,” He commented.

“I’m sorry; it’s the best I could do to find a babysitter.” She explained. “My parents are out of town right now and my brother had a business dinner tonight so no one else could take her.”

“It’s fine,” He sat down on the couch across the room from Stacy and made himself comfortable.

“Mama!” Evelyn ran out of the toy room where she had been playing and into her mother’s arms. “Daddy here yet?”

“No baby, he’ll be here soon though.” Stacy told her, brushing her hair from her face. She didn’t want to introduce Evelyn to Eric yet, it was much too soon for that but since he insisted on picking her up instead of meeting at the restaurant it seemed inevitable.

“This must be Emily!” Eric stood up, playing the part of a man interested in children.

“Her name is Evelyn,” Stacy correct, “This is my daughter, Evelyn this is Mommy’s friend from work. His name is Eric.”

Evelyn became shy and hid her face in her mother’s neck.

“Oh I’m sorry, hi Evelyn!” Eric smiled and tried to get the little girl to smile back but had no luck.

“Can you say hi?” Stacy asked her as she tried to get her to lift her head again. She was beginning to tickle her stomach when they heard a knock on the door. “Oh that must be Daddy!”

Evelyn wiggled out of her mother’s arms and ran towards the door as Stacy walked behind her.

When she opened the front door her heart fluttered at the sight of Adam. He stood there in holey jeans, a black polo, and sunglasses. His hair was in its usual gelled disarray and he looked very handsome.

“Daddy!” Evelyn jumped into his arms as soon as Stacy opened the door all the way.

“Hey Evie! How’s my little princess doing?” Adam smiled down at Evelyn, stepping into the house.

“Good,” She grinned at him and Stacy. “You here to see mama?”

“I’m here to see you! I’m going to take you out for a date tonight.” Adam told her.

“Mama I have a date!” Evelyn giggled.

“I know baby, you’re so lucky!” Stacy leaned over and kissed her daughter’s cheek, brushing against Adam ever so slightly and causing them both to glance up and lock eyes.

The other man clearing his throat in the living room caused both of them to jump. “Oh come on in, I’ll grab her bag for you.” Stacy smoothed her skirt and allowed Adam to enter the room.

“Hey man,” Eric stood from the couch and nodded at Adam as he entered the room with Evelyn still in his arms.

“Hey,” Adam nodded politely, staring the guy down. He didn’t look like Stacy’s type; he seemed uptight and stuck up.

“Adam this is Eric, Eric this is Adam.” Stacy did a short introduction before walking into Evelyn’s room and grabbing her bag.

“So what do you do?” Eric could be heard asking Adam as Stacy entered the room again.

“I’m a musician.” Adam told him.

“OH,” Eric almost scoffed, “I met Stacy at the hospital. I’m a neurologist and I specialize in the ICU.”

Adam could tell that the man was attempting to brag about his career in an attempt to make Adam feel insignificant. “That must be really interesting. I just got back from a world tour with my band, Maroon 5.”

Stacy rolled her eyes as she watched the men compete with one another.

“Maroon 5? Seriously?” Eric seemed surprised, glancing at Stacy. “You never told me that you dated a rock star.”

Stacy shrugged, “I’m not sure why that should be broadcasted to people, and it was my personal life.”

Adam stood there with a grin on his face, realizing he won the pissing contest, shaking up the ‘doctor’ before they even left for their date.

“Well clearly she’s ready for something a little more stable now.” Eric commented, “Are you ready to go?” In an attempt to brush off Adam, Eric turned towards Stacy.

Stacy was surprised that Eric, who seemed so sophisticated in the past, was threatened by Adam after only a short interaction with him. She hated the childish banter and the snarky comment he made at the end, feeling like maybe this date wasn’t a good idea.

Adam looked at Stacy in disbelief; he couldn’t believe that she had agreed to go out with this moron.

“I’m ready,” She said to Eric, “Adam, I’ll be by to pick Evelyn up in the morning.”

Adam nodded, “I’ll have her ready.” He took Evelyn’s bag from Stacy, looking into her eyes, silently telling her that if she needed anything at all she could call him.

Stacy nodded, understanding his look right away.

“Say goodbye to Mommy baby,” Adam handed Evelyn over to Stacy, watching as they hugged and Stacy kissed her cheek.

“Be good for Daddy, I love you so much.” She squeezed Evelyn tightly, causing her to giggle.

“Love you too Mama!” She kissed Stacy’s cheek before reaching for Adam again.

“Bye Evelyn, it was nice to meet you!” Eric said in an overly excited voice.

Evelyn just looked at him which elicited a smirk from Adam.

All four of them exited the house at the same time, Adam putting Evelyn in her car seat and then climbing into the driver’s seat and glancing over to the silver Lexus. He watched as Stacy opened her own door and climbed into the car after Eric was already in the driver’s seat. Adam could tell that Stacy was surprised and unimpressed by his neglect to open her door for her. Stacy was somewhat old fashioned when it came to dating. She wanted a man that was a gentleman and treated her well; Adam had always known that about her and opened her doors for her from day one.

Stacy caught Adam’s eye as Eric pulled the Lexus out of the driveway, it was only her first date with Eric and she was already comparing him to Adam. She hated that he had treated her so well that it wrecked her for other men to come.
♠ ♠ ♠
There's chapter 3! We are slowly getting into the drama and fun parts of the story :)
Let me know what you thought! Thank you all so much for the lovely comments about the story and my writing, they are so appreciated! You are all wonderful! Enjoy chapter 3!