‹ Prequel: Almost Perfect
Status: Updating...

Playing for Keeps

Chapter 4

The date had gone better than Stacy expected. Eric wasn’t very gentlemanly but he was certainly interesting to talk to at dinner, he had humorous stories and engaged Stacy in witty banter throughout the night. When he brought her home he made an attempt to come in with her, no doubt hoping to sleep with her that night but Stacy put an end to that right away. She was not interested in having a one night stand or becoming the hospital slut that gave it up on the first date.

Eric had promised to call her the following day to set up another date but Stacy wasn’t sure she’d agree to go. She woke up Saturday morning around 9 to the sound of the doorbell. When she slipped into a pair of sweat pants and put on a zip up sweatshirt she quickly made her way to the front door to reveal a large bouquet of white roses.

Stacy sneezed as soon as the delivery man placed them in her arms. “I’m sorry, can we leave these outside? I’m allergic to roses.”

“Oh absolutely miss,” The kind older gentleman smiled at her and placed them on her porch. “Someone must not know you very well.” He winked, hoping he didn’t over step his bounds.

Stacy shook her head, “I guess not.” She was slightly disappointed because she made a point last night to tell Eric that she was allergic to roses, he must not have been paying attention and thought she said she loved them.

“Have a good day dear,” The man smiled and waved as he walked off of her front porch.

“You too!” Stacy called after him.

She glanced at her clock as she entered the house, it was a good time to go pick up Evelyn now. Stacy grabbed her purse and then hopped into her Nissan heading in the direction of Adam’s house.

As she walked up to the house the front door opened and Adam stood there smiling at her, “I’m sorry, she was awake at 6 this morning and she just fell asleep again.”

“Oh that’s ok, I’ll just carry her out to the car.” Stacy explained. She took off her shoes, ready to go up to Evelyn’s room when Adam spoke again.

“Are you okay?” He asked, noticing that her eyes were red and it looked like she might have been crying.

Stacy sniffled, “I’m fine, Eric just sent me a massive bouquet of roses this morning and my allergies kicked in almost instantly.”

Adam gave a slight chuckle. “Are you sure that’s all? You look like you might have been crying, how was the date?” He questioned.

She turned around to respond, surprised to see him right behind her. She was now chest to chest with him and she could feel his hot breath on her cheek.

“Um,” She cleared her throat. “He was fine, it was okay.” She had almost been at a loss for words being so close to him again.

“He obviously doesn’t know you very well,” Adam smirked.

“Oh Adam, just because you’ve known me since I was little doesn’t give you the right now make fun of him,” She slapped his chest lightly. “It was our first date, cut him some slack.”

When she went to pull her hand away Adam took hold of it and pulled her closer to him, pressing himself against her.

“He wouldn’t know how to please you,” He whispered hotly in her ear, making her squirm.

He was right; Adam was the only one that had ever given her exactly what she needed in the bedroom.

Stacy tried to pull away from him but his grip tightened, “Did he stay the night?”

She couldn’t believe how nosey he was being. “No Adam, he didn’t.”

There was that smirk again with his devilish grin and his eyes dark, smoldering. He quickly moved the two of them so Stacy was pressed against the wall with Adam’s body tightly against hers, his mouth on her neck.

She didn’t want to enjoy it, she wanted to remove herself from the situation but the minute his lips connected with the skin just below her ear she let out a gasp and he knew he had her exactly where he wanted her. He let his hands roam her body, slipping underneath her shirt first and then into her sweatpants, making her throw her head back in pleasure.

Their lips met for the first time in almost two years, sending sparks through their bodies. He felt and tasted the same, Stacy’s body was shaking with pent up desire.

“Bedroom,” He mumbled against her lips, moving their bodies towards the stairs.

Stacy breathily agreed and tugged at Adam’s shirt as they made their way up the stairs, leaving a trail of clothing behind them as they reached his bedroom. As the door closed Stacy let out a loud sound of pleasure as Adam placed her on her back on the bed and climbed on top of her. They both knew exactly what they were doing and they wanted it, bad.

After a pleasure filled morning the pair drifted off to a peaceful sleep, relishing the feeling of being in one another’s arms again. They were awoken a little later by Evelyn’s cries in the next room, waiting for someone to open her bedroom door so she could get up from her nap.

They awkwardly climbed out of bed and collected their clothing before Stacy went to get Evelyn.

“Hi Mama!” Evelyn cried when she saw Stacy.

“Hi baby girl,” Stacy smiled down at her and followed the young girl down the stairs were Adam was waiting.

He smiled at his two girls and went to meet Stacy, sliding his arms around her waist. “Well that was….”

“Unexpected, a mistake.” Stacy finished his sentence.

“What? Stacy that was amazing, it proves that we belong together.” He pulled back a bit to look her in the eye. “That was not a mistake, it was exactly what we needed to show you that we should stop all this nonsense and make things work again.”

Stacy shook her head, “I’m sorry Adam, I was foolish this morning and I made a mistake. I’m seeing Eric now and I want to give him a shot, he’s a nice man.”

Adam scoffed, “It was one date! Don’t kid yourself, that guy is not your type and he clearly doesn’t listen to a word you say.” He shook his head, dropping his arms from her body. “How many bouquets of flowers has he sent you already? Is that all he has to offer you? A million flowers and a stable living situation?”

Clearly he was talking about the snarky comment Eric made yesterday about Adam’s lifestyle and the fact that Stacy wanted something different.

“He’s still getting to know me Adam!” Stacy threw her hands up, “Stop acting so jealous, you didn’t have to go on about your world tour either. It was obvious that you were competing with him.”

“I was not! The guy just rubbed me the wrong way and I think you deserve better.” Adam tried to stick up for himself.

“Better like you? The man that cheated on me and got another woman pregnant?” Stacy didn’t mean for that to come out but it just slipped out of anger.

“You’ll never let that go will you? I’ve paid for my mistake and I’ve done everything I can to prove to you that I’m not that guy anymore.” He looked defeated. “I fucked up, big time and I wish with all my heart that I could take it back because I lost the most important person in the world to me because of it. Stacy I’m not proud of how I acted in the past but I’m trying to change how I act now and in the future.” He paused and looked at her intently, “I just wish you could see that.”

Stacy shook her head, her mind was still reeling from the sex they just recklessly had. She came here to pick up their daughter and ended up naked in Adam’s bed for the first time in years. “Come on Evelyn, it’s time to go home.”

“Mommy this is home,” She pouted. It was the first time their two year old daughter had called attention to the separate living situation. It almost broke Stacy’s heart.

“Even our two year old knows this isn’t right,” Adam said softly. He tried to reach for her again but she moved just out of his reach and picked up Evelyn.

“Goodbye Adam,” Stacy said, giving him one last look before turning around towards the door.

“Bye Dada,” Evelyn called sadly, tears in her eyes.

“I’ll see you soon sweetheart,” Adam told her as he followed them to the front door. He quickly leaned in and kissed Evelyn’s cheek before Stacy exited the house with her.

Adam watched them go with a heavy heart, he knew what had happened was wrong but at the same time it gave him a sense of hope that there was a chance he could work his way back into her life for good.
♠ ♠ ♠
I want to thank everyone for the comments on the last few chapters! It's really motivational! I'm already working on chapter 5 so please leave me some feedback on this chapter! I hope you liked it :)