‹ Prequel: Almost Perfect
Status: Updating...

Playing for Keeps

Chapter 5

Weeks had passed since Stacy and Adam slept together and both of them tried to act like it didn’t happen. Stacy had gone on a few more dates with Eric and it turned out that they had actually gotten along well. She had finally gotten him to realize that she didn’t like flowers and he felt stupid for sending them so many times. The two had made themselves a couple recently much to Adam’s dismay and it was just in time for Evelyn’s third birthday party. Adam had never been home for her birthday parties with his touring so this year he decided that he would throw her a party. Stacy helped him plan it and they invited both of their families and his band mates in Maroon 5. Adam had decided on a pool party theme in his backyard so they planned to grill hamburgers and bratwurst for the main meal. Stacy had baked cupcakes and made side dishes that she would bring over and Adam supplied everything else.

Since Stacy officially started dating Eric, Adam felt like he had to get back out into the dating world and had begun seeing a woman named Rebecca. She was a cocktail waitress that he met at her 21st birthday party which amused Stacy because he seemed to enjoy dating the younger women, she herself was 6 years younger than he was.

“I just have to grab the cupcakes and then we can head over to Adam’s,” Stacy told Eric as she pulled the two tins of cupcakes out of the fridge.

“I’ll buckle Evelyn into her car seat,” Eric offered. He had tried harder to get to know Evelyn and she was slowly beginning to trust him.

“Thank you,” Stacy smiled and accepted a kiss when he leaned in to give her one. She watched as he took Evelyn out of the house, following them with the rest of the things they needed. It was odd seeing him helping her, Stacy still felt awkward about dating because she didn’t like the idea of strange men helping her with her daughter and she knew Adam didn’t either.

“It’s my birfday!” Evelyn yelled from the back seat as they drove to Adam’s. Stacy and Eric laughed from the front of the car, enjoying her enthusiasm.

“So are you nervous about having a joint party like this?” Eric asked as he navigated his car, Stacy giving him directions.

“No, why would I be?” She asked, Stacy and Adam had been civil for quite some time and she wasn’t nervous about seeing his family because she loved them and they loved her.

“Well now that you’re both dating different people it might be awkward.” He commented.

“If Adam wants to date a 21 year old that’s his business.” Stacy replied. “I’m happy with where I’m at and that’s what matters.”

Eric smiled over at his girlfriend and Stacy returned it. She could tell that he was falling faster and much harder than she was. For Stacy this was just her getting back into the game and seeing how things go. If she was honest with herself she already knew that this wasn’t going anywhere serious, he was a bit controlling and somewhat chauvinistic for her taste. Eric was nothing special in bed, he was fairly dull, and he didn’t like doing anything real outgoing. Their dates consisted of dinner and a movie most nights and he never wanted to try new things or new places. For now though, Stacy was content enough to continue seeing him, at least she wasn’t alone. Especially now that Adam was seeing someone, she couldn’t bear to be single.

It wasn’t long before they pulled into Adam’s driveway and there were already cars parked outside.

Eric offered to carry everything in so that Stacy could go in with Evelyn, “Thanks, I appreciate it.”
Stacy kissed his cheek and then took hold of Evelyn’s hand and walked her inside.

“There’s the birthday girl!” Adam announced once he saw them enter the house. He held his arms open for a hug and Evelyn ran to him.

“Daddy!” She exclaimed, smiling broadly.

“Happy Birthday, Princess!” He kissed her cheek and hugged her tightly. “Hey Stac,” He nodded in her direction, smiling at her.

“Hi Adam,” She returned the smile and they embraced in a quick hug, Adam’s hands lingering on her waist just a little too long. Stacy’s mind went back to the last time his hands were on her in such a way and she shivered at the thought of the morning they spent in his bedroom. Adam smirked, knowing exactly what he had done to her.

Someone clearing their throat caused them to pull apart.

“Oh, Stacy you remember Rebecca?” Stacy had met the girl one other time in passing when they ran into each other at the grocery store and she was with Adam.

“Sure, hello,” Stacy said to the young woman.

“Hey,” She smiled, making her way to Adam and hanging on his arm. “Happy Birthday Evie!” Rebecca said, bending down to the little girl’s level.

Evelyn grew shy and hid her face behind Adam’s leg.

“Where do you want the cupcakes?” Eric asked as he came in with his hands full.

“I have all the food in the kitchen here,” Adam spoke, leading Eric into the kitchen and helping him put the things away so they wouldn’t spoil while everyone swam for a while. “The party is out back! Everyone is here already so go out and say hi.”

“Let’s go see Grandma and Grandpa Evelyn,” Stacy took her daughter’s hand and helped her down the wooden stairs of the large deck.

Stacy could hear all of the people down by the pool oohing and aahing about how cute Evelyn looked in her little swim suit and cover up. Stacy had put her in a floral one piece swim suit with a hot pink cover up, flip flops, and pulled her hair into two little pig tails.

“Hi everyone!” Stacy smiled, greeting all of Evelyn’s party goers. She hugged her parents and then greeted Adam’s parents. She hugged them both and smiled as they told her how great she looked and how much they missed seeing her around.

“Hi Patsy!” Rebecca came over bombarding their conversation and practically shoving Stacy out of the way.

“Oh, hello Rebecca,” Patsy smiled in Rebecca’s direction before turning back to Stacy. This caused the younger female to shoot a dirty look Stacy's way before stomping off across the backyard.

“So how’s the hospital?” She asked.

“It’s great, I still love my job.” Stacy grinned, “I couldn’t imagine doing anything else.”

“I’m so glad to hear that,” Patsy truly missed Stacy. She had always thought that she and Adam would end up together and she secretly hoped that they still would. It had been a long time since Adam had dated anyone that was so down to earth, someone that wasn’t looking to burst into the lime light or use him for his money so Patsy was delighted to find that Stacy was someone who truly knew and loved Adam, someone who had their own career and could survive on her own without him.

“Mommy come swim with me!” Evelyn tugged at her mother’s black cover-up.

“Duty calls!” Patsy smiled at Stacy and then bent down to Evelyn’s level, “Are you having a good birthday sweet pea?”

“Yeah gramma! Are you gonna swim with us?” Evie asked, putting her little arms around Patsy’s neck.

“I sure will!” Patsy smiled at the little girl.

“Yay!” Evelyn jumped up and down and pulled both women over towards the pool.

“Hold on Ev, I need to take off my dress.” Stacy stopped by one of the lounge chairs and kicked her wedges off and slid them under the chair. She slowly began to lift her dress over her head, revealing a bright purple swim suit with gold metal accents.

“Can I swim with you too?” Rebecca asked, obviously trying to get in good with Evelyn.

“I guess,” Evelyn said, a hand on her little hip.

Stacy couldn’t believe the attitude of her now three year old but she wasn’t about to correct her. She didn’t care for Rebecca and she wasn’t about to force her daughter to either.

Adam was coming down the steps with a platter of raw hamburgers when Stacy was removing her cover-up. He practically tripped down the steps as he watched her tan, toned body reveal itself. She had always taken pride in her body and it certainly showed. His mind started to drift back to their intimate morning about a month ago and he could feel himself getting hard. Quickly shaking his head and trying to recover, he went down the rest of the steps and tried to focus on the grill.

Adam put the burgers on the grill and closed the cover before looking around the party. Most people were in the pool, enjoying the water on a warm California day while others were sitting at the tables and in the lounge chairs around the patio. Stacy was in the pool with Evelyn, spinning her around in the water and Adam couldn’t help but smile as the two giggled together. Eric was lounging by the pool, feet in the water and watching Stacy as well. Adam’s parents and Stacy’s parents were in the pool over in the corner chatting, and Rebecca lying on a floating mattress sun bathing.

He was focused on getting all of the food prepared so that people could eat when they wanted and Adam could enjoy the party along with everyone else. He had finished grilling and was going to go upstairs into the kitchen and take everything else out and set it up so people could help themselves.

“Do you need help with anything?” Adam turned to see Stacy standing there, dripping with water from the pool in nothing but her bikini. He gave her a once over before responding.

“Uh, yeah that would be great.” He commented, hoping to get her alone for a moment. “I was just going to head upstairs to pull everything out so people can eat when they want.”

“Okay, I’ll just dry off quick and head up there.” She smiled at him before turning and walking over to her chair to dry off with her towel.

Eric turned just in time to watch Adam’s eyes follow Stacy’s body across the patio. He stood there, watching her every movement before it seemed like he suddenly realized he had been staring too long and then glanced around quick and headed up the deck steps. It irritated Eric that Adam still seemed interested in Stacy even though they had been over for years.

“I’m going to run up and help Adam put out the food, I’ll be back down in a few minutes.” Eric’s thoughts were interrupted by Stacy.

He glanced up at her through his sunglasses lenses, “Okay, sounds good.”

“Spence, I’m running upstairs to help Adam.” Stacy called to her brother, “Keep an eye on Evelyn okay?”

“Sure thing Stac,” Spencer called back from his spot in the pool where Evelyn was currently jumping off the ledge and into his arms.

It annoyed Eric that she wouldn’t ask him to watch Evelyn, they were together after all.

Stacy walked up the stairs and into the kitchen, still only wearing her bikini. When she walked into the large kitchen she took in the site before her, Adam’s back was to her. She momentarily watched his tattooed body and how the muscles rippled as he moved about the kitchen, pulling things from cupboards and the fridge. She was still so attracted to him.

“What can I do to help?” She asked as she walked to the other side of the island where Adam was standing.

“Do you mind mixing up the snicker salad quick? Everything is in bowl; you just need to add the Cool Whip.” He instructed.

“Sure,” She nodded and went to pull the Cool Whip out of the fridge. Stacy mixed the large bowl of snicker salad together while Adam set out all of the other side dishes along with plates and silverware.

“I love Cool Whip,” Stacy commented as she licked the large spoon after she was finished mixing everything.

She smiled at Adam as she turned towards the sink to rinse off the spoon. He started laughing when he noticed she had Cool Whip on her nose.

“Come here,” He laughed, grabbing her wrist and pulling her away from the sink. “You’ve got a little Cool Whip right…..” He reached up with his other hand and wiped it off her nose, “….here.” He finished, licking the tasty cream off his finger.

Stacy laughed at herself, smiling at Adam. “Some things never change.”

“I guess not,” He laughed, thinking about how clumsy Stacy could be at times. Adam looked down at her body in the purple bikini again, allowing his mind to wander to the events in the weeks prior one more time. “That bikini is something else….” he breathed as he put his hands on her waist again.

“Thanks,” Stacy responded, looking over Adam’s muscular, shirtless, body.

She shuddered as he ran his hands over her back and abdomen, “Adam don’t…” She attempted to move from his grasp; although she wasn’t sure she actually wanted to.

“I can’t take my eyes off you,” Adam continued, moving his lips to hers. They shared a passionate kiss and before long they were pawing at each other, Stacy’s bikini top was now untied and hanging around stomach so that Adam could get easy access to her breasts. Stacy had her hand in his swim trunks and they were breathing heavily, enjoying the pleasure they felt.

“Adam, stop, we have to stop,” Stacy managed to get out between heated kisses, “Everyone….is expecting us back…..” She couldn’t get the rest of her sentence out because Adam and spun her around and grabbed her hips roughly, pulling her hips into his own.

He trailed kisses down her back and slowly pulled down her swim suit bottoms.

“Just enjoy it baby,” Adam spoke lustfully before he began to give both of them what they wanted all along.
♠ ♠ ♠
To be continued.... :)
I hope you all enjoyed this chapter! There's more drama to come in the next chapter...it will be a continuation of the birthday party! So leave me your feedback and I'll get working on the next chapter!
Thanks for reading and for commenting on my previous chapters! You guys rock!