‹ Prequel: Almost Perfect
Status: Updating...

Playing for Keeps

Chapter 6

Fifteen minutes later Stacy and Adam had put themselves back together and were carrying some of the food down to the tables that were poolside. Stacy was sure her hair was now a mess and she felt like she was walking funny after the amazing encounter she had just had in the kitchen. She felt like everyone was staring at her and knew exactly what had happened upstairs.

“Baby what took you so long?!” Rebecca called as she ran over and clung to Adam. Stacy almost cringed as she saw her touching him in such a way.

“We had to mix up a few things,” Adam covered for them, glancing over at Stacy who met his eyes briefly. They shared a small, knowing smile before looking away.

“Evelyn, sweetie, are you hungry?” Stacy asked, now focusing on their daughter.

“Yeah Mama! I want a cheeseburger!” She grinned, running over to her mother.

“Okay, go sit with Grandpa and I’ll fix you a plate.” She ruffled her daughter’s hair before turning towards the food and making her a plate.

After making sure Evie was settled, Stacy went back and fixed herself a plate and made herself comfortable in a chair next to Jesse, Adam’s friend and band mate.

“Slut,” He said softly as she sat next to him.

Stacy practically choked on her carrot when she heard him. “What?” She asked, wide eyed.

“You heard me,” He grinned at her.

Stacy was about to respond when Adam and Rebecca joined them and sat across from her. She glanced at Jesse and gave him a look, hoping he’d keep quiet.

Jesse gave her a nod, silently agreeing to keep his mouth shut just as Eric sat next to Stacy with a plate full of food.

“Everything looks great babydoll,” Stacy rolled her eyes at the nickname that Eric had chosen for her. She was never a fan of that particular term of endearment but she didn’t have the heart to tell him that.

She heard Adam snicker from across the table. Stacy knew he was laughing because Adam was fully aware that she hated the nickname. Hearing him laugh caused Stacy to giggle, she looked over at Adam and they exchanged a knowing glance.

“What’s so funny?” Eric asked, looking between the two. He suddenly felt jealous that the two ex-lovers were sharing a secret joke.

“Just an inside joke,” Adam spoke coolly before Stacy could say anything.

Stacy felt Eric tense next to her, obviously irritated. “I see,” He commented, seeming un-amused.
Stacy gave Adam a look, hoping he would lose the competitive attitude but he just grinned at her. Clearly pleased with himself after what happened in the kitchen earlier.

The rest of the meal was quiet besides a little discussion about the band’s new CD that was currently in the works.

“When are you going on tour again?” Eric asked, probably hoping Adam would be gone for a long period of time again.

“Not for a while, we still have a lot of work to do on the album.” Adam told the table.

“I can’t wait to go with you on tour!” Rebecca commented, causing a surprised look to show up on Adam’s face.

“Obviously he wasn’t planning on that!” Eric commented, laughing at the look on Adam’s face.

“What do you mean?” Rebecca asked, looking at Eric and then looking at Adam.

“He looked awfully surprised to hear you think you’re going with on tour!” Eric pointed at Adam.

“You don’t want to bring me with you?” Rebecca pouted, instantly becoming upset with Adam.

Adam gave Eric a dirty look and tried to explain to Rebecca that he didn’t feel like they were at that stage yet but who knew what would happen in the next few months. He was trying to smooth things over and it seemed to be working.

“You shouldn’t have done that,” Stacy said quietly to Eric. “It’s none of your business.”

Eric was surprised that Stacy had spoken up like that, “You know what, no. I think I had every right to say that. I’m tired of watching him check you out and look at you like he still wants you.” Eric was standing by the end of his outburst. “You cheated on her, she’s mine now and you need to get used to it!” Eric yelled across the table at Adam, talking about Stacy like she was a piece of property that one would own.

“Dude, you don’t even know her! How many times did you send her flowers that she’s allergic to?!” Adam stood up as well and defended himself. “I’ve known her since she was in middle school; I think I know her well enough to know that she just puts up with you! She’s not actually interested in you for the long haul!”

“You don’t know a damn thing about our relationship!” Eric yelled, moving and getting up in Adam’s face. “She’s my girlfriend and I want you to back the fuck off and let us be!”

“You better get used to me being around, she’s the mother of my child you tool bag!” Adam retorted. “I’m not going anywhere.”

Stacy rolled her eyes at the ridiculous argument and stood up, “First off, please don’t talk about me like you own me!” She exclaimed, embarrassed that this was happening in front of their friends and family.

Both men turned to look at her, surprised when she interjected.

“Stay the hell out of this!” Eric hollered, pointing a finger at her as if she could be reprimanded like a child. “This is between me and him!”

“Don’t you dare talk to her that way!” Adam stuck up for Stacy, hating how Eric treated her so poorly. He could tell that he was the type of man that believes men are superior to women in all situations. He hardly stood taller than Eric but he went chest to chest with him and put his face right in the other man’s when he spoke, “You need to treat her like a lady, she deserves that much!”

“Adam I can handle myself,” Stacy said softly, appreciating that he was trying to stick up for her. Stacy was attempting to move between the two men to separate them but she chose the very wrong time to do so. Just as she inserted herself between them, Eric reared his fist back in an attempt to punch Adam. Fortunately he missed Adam but ended up hitting Stacy square in the face, making contact with her left eye.

She let out a horrible scream as his fist connected with her face and she fell to the ground.

“What the fuck dude!” Adam exclaimed, immediately going to Stacy’s side. He tried to move her hand so he could get a look at her eye but she pushed him away. Adam could see tears in her eyes. “Stacy, are you okay?”

“This is ridiculous! How dare you two do this at Evelyn’s birthday party?” She exclaimed, standing up. “Adam I expected better from you!”

“Stacy I’m sorry, I just can’t handle the way he treats you.” He pleaded with her.

“Are you okay babydoll?” Eric asked, quickly trying to move to his girlfriend’s side.

“Seriously?!” She gave him a dirty look, “For starters, I hate that nickname! You treat me like I’m incompetent and you’re acting like a jerk in front of my family.” She stood up, still holding a hand over her eye, “Not to mention you just punched me!”

Stacy glanced around and saw that all eyes were on them, shock covered most of the faces.

“Stacy I’m sorry, it was an accident. I was trying to punch Adam and-“ Stacy cut him off.

“You shouldn’t be trying to punch anyone! Eric please, just leave.” Stacy begged him, “Clearly I’ve made a mistake trying to date you, we aren’t right together.”

Eric looked at her for a moment, she could tell that he was about to blow a fuse.

“Are you fucking kidding me?” He exploded. “You’re honestly going to end things with me for this guy?” He pointed at Adam, a look of disbelief on his face. “I’m a fucking doctor! I can take care of you, but clearly you’ve got awful taste in men.”

“Eric, leave!” Stacy pointed towards the gate where he could exit the backyard and watched as he threw his hands in the air and headed for the gate.

“Fucking bitch….” He muttered, causing Adam to tense, clenching his fists and almost going after the other man.

“Adam, don’t,” Stacy grabbed his shoulder, not wanting any more drama at Evelyn’s party.

Rebecca looked at Adam and then at Stacy, “Are you seriously choosing her over me?”

Both Adam and Stacy looked at her, forgetting she was even there.

“Just go Becca, go see if the doctor will take you out for dinner,” Adam said sarcastically. He couldn’t believe he had even put up with this chick for a few weeks.

Rebecca scoffed, stomping her foot. “You are such a dick!” She gave him one last glance before she ran towards the gate, probably taking Adam’s advice and hoping the doctor would take her out for dinner.

“I’m going to go get you an ice pack,” Jesse stood up and headed for the house.

“Thank you,” Stacy called after him, plopping down in her chair. She was embarrassed and in pain, she looked over at Evelyn to see that her face was hidden in her Grandpa’s chest and from the looks of it she was crying. “Go talk to your daughter,” Stacy said softly to Adam, pointing over at Evelyn.

Adam followed her finger and instantly felt bad. She walked over to her and tried to pick her up from Matt’s lap but she held tightly to the man’s shirt. “Evelyn, baby, I’m not going to hurt you.” Adam cooed softly.

She finally let go and allowed her father to hold her, looking at his face. “Mama’s hurt.” She said sadly, looking over at Stacy.

“Mommy’s going to be ok sweetheart; she just got hit in the eye.” Adam tried to explain, carrying Evelyn over so they could sit next to Stacy.

Stacy could hear the chatter start to pick up and the rest of the party guests tried to allow the small family a moment of privacy.

“I’m okay Evie, it was just an accident.” Stacy explained to their daughter.

“He’s a bad man,” Evelyn pointed towards the gate that Eric had exited through, a sad look on her face.

“He is a bad man, but he’s never coming back okay?” Adam kissed the side of her head.
Evelyn nodded, watching as Stacy accepted a bag of ice from Jesse and placed it carefully on her eye. She cringed as it stung when it hit her skin.

“Are you okay?” Adam asked her, placing a hand on her thigh. He felt horrible that she had gotten in the cross fire.

Stacy nodded, “Thanks for sticking up for me.” She smiled weakly, looking at Adam. She was starting to see the man she had originally fallen in love with again and it made her heart flutter.

Stacy watched as Adam stood up, Evelyn still in his arms, and addressed the party.

“I’m sorry for the interruption and the dramatic display of emotions, it was totally uncalled for.” Adam announced to the group of family and friends. “I hope we can all move past this and enjoy the rest of the party!”

Everyone called out their forgiveness and things slowly started to get back on the right track for the birthday party. They were able to enjoy the rest of the warm California day, opening presents, eating cake, swimming, and ending the night with a quaint bonfire with a select few that stuck around until the very end.

“She had a great day,” Stacy smiled down at the sleeping form of their daughter. She had fallen asleep on Adam’s lap next to the fire after eating a s’more.

“I’m glad I was finally able to be here to help her celebrate,” Adam said quietly.

“You threw her an amazing party Adam, thank you.” Stacy looked up at him. They were the last two out by the fire, everyone else had gone home.

“I just wanted to do something nice for her, she means the world to me.” Adam looked down at Evelyn and pushed her hair out of her face.

Stacy watched his face soften when he looked at Evelyn, the glow of the fire making his eyes sparkle. They sat there quietly for a while, watching the fire before Stacy spoke up.

“I should probably get her home to bed,” She said thoughtfully.

“Yeah, I guess so….” He trailed off, “Or you guys could just stay.”

Stacy could tell he was hopeful. She thought about it for a moment and then when she looked up and saw the passion in his eyes it sent her body into a frenzy. Their eyes locked and each of them knew what the other was thinking.

“I guess we could stay…” She bit her lip, glancing up at him again.

Before either of them knew what was happening Adam had put Evelyn to bed and met Stacy in the hallway for a lustful kiss. Their hands roamed each other’s bodies and their feet moved them into Adam’s bedroom for a night full of passion.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter 6 ladies and gents! I hope you all liked it! I would like to see more of the readers commenting to leave me feedback, I've been getting like 3 comments each chapter when I see that there's over 100 readers per chapter. I like to hear from you all so that I know what you think of the story! :)
Thanks to all those that have commented! It's appreciated!!