‹ Prequel: Almost Perfect
Status: Updating...

Playing for Keeps

Chapter 9

Adam and Stacy felt like zombies as they entered Adam’s home two weeks after Evelyn’s surgery. They had finally been able to take her home last night and she was doing really well. The surgery had removed the entire brain tumor and based on blood tests and more MRI scans the physicians believed the cancer to be gone and that their little girl would no longer have seizures.

Evelyn was still healing from the surgery and she slept off and on throughout the day. Stacy couldn’t wait for the day that her blue eyes lit up like they used to and to see her run around the house playing. Her mother was currently sitting with her because Stacy and Adam had needed a little break, the first one they had taken since they found out about the tumor. Her mom offered to come over and stay for a few hours so the couple could go out to lunch and get a few groceries for the house. While they had gone through all of this Adam had asked Stacy if she wanted to move back in and she instantly agreed, wanting them all to be together while going through such an awful time.

“I’ll put the groceries away,” Adam kissed Stacy’s forehead and wandered off to the kitchen with the bags full of food while Stacy headed for the living room. She found Evelyn tucked under her princess blanket watching Lilo and Stitch while Carrie was sitting on the couch opposite her, reading a book.

“Hey sweet pea,” Stacy said softly as she sat at Evelyn’s feet.

“Mama!” Her voice was tired sounding but Stacy could tell she was excited to see her. She slowly sat up and moved towards Stacy, crawling onto her lap.

“How are you feeling baby?” Stacy asked as she smoothed Evelyn’s hair down over her now practically healed incision. She kissed her forehead and hugged her a little tighter. She couldn’t believe all they had gone through in the past month. She had almost lost her little girl, she was so grateful that she was getting healthier and hopefully will remain that way.

“I’m okay, my head hurts a little bit.” She said softly, resting her head on her mother’s chest.

“Do you want some Tylenol Evie?” Stacy questioned, looking down at her.

She nodded slowly, her eyes not moving from the screen. Lilo and Stitch was one of her favorite movies, Stacy could probably recite the entire thing because she had seen it so many times.

“Ok, I’ll get you some. I’ll bring you some juice and a snack too.” Stacy had to push Evelyn to eat lately; her appetite had been non- existent in the past few weeks so she had to make sure her daughter ate every few hours to keep up her strength. She knew the body needed nutrition in order to heal properly.

She kissed Evelyn’s cheek before lifting her up and setting her back in her spot on the couch, “Do you need anything Mom?”

“I’m fine dear, now that you guys are home I’ll probably head out anyways.” Carrie closed her book and stood up. She made her way to Evelyn and quickly said her goodbyes, kissing the top of her head.

“Love you grandma!” Evelyn called to Carrie as she walked out of the room.

Stacy chuckled at the enthusiasm in her voice.

“I love you too Evie, I’ll see you soon!” Carrie smiled, turning towards her daughter. “That’s quite the character you have on your hands.”

“Don’t I know it,” Stacy smiled. “She gets it from Adam,”

“She gets what from Adam?” Adam questioned as the two ladies walked into the kitchen.

“Her quirkiness,” Stacy smirked. She walked over to the cabinet and took out children’s Motrin and a glass for Evelyn’s juice.

Adam let out a loud laugh, “I’m not so sure that’s the case.”

The two grinned at each other and Carrie couldn’t help but smile at the way they interacted, “I think it’s a mixture of both!” she laughed.

“Thank for watching her Carrie,” Adam said, hugging the older woman.

“Anytime!” Carrie was always willing to help with Evelyn if possible, “Let me know if you guys need anything, I’m only a phone call away.”

“Thanks Mom,” Stacy hugged her mother and watched as she waved over her shoulder before heading towards the front door.

“Love you all, talk to you soon!” Carrie called as she exited the house.

Stacy brought Evelyn’s Motrin, juice, and animal crackers out to her in the living room, helping her take the medicine before tucking her back in and heading back into the kitchen.

Adam had finished putting all the groceries away and he was now pulling things out to make dinner. “I thought I would make parmesan crust chicken and veggie for dinner.”

“That sound wonderful,” She smiled and moved closer to him.

Adam set down the ingredients on the counter and snaked his arms around Stacy’s waist, pulling her body against his. “I’m so glad you guys moved back in, I can’t even begin to describe how happy I am.”

“Me too,” Stacy said softly, looking up at him. She couldn’t believe it had taken them two years to figure out that they couldn’t live without each other. What a messy situation they had gotten themselves into back then, she was just thankful that they had figured things out now.

Adam brushed back a few stray strands of hair and leaned down to kiss her softly, “I love you so much, you and Evelyn are my entire world.” He looked into her eyes, “I’ve been thinking, I know that this has been a lot for us to deal with in the last month and thankfully the band has just been recording so I was able to take time off, but….” Adam paused and took a deep breath, “Maybe I should just take a break from the band all together. I mean, it put so much stress and strain on our relationship in the past and I don’t want to see that happen to us again.”

While Evelyn was in the hospital the press had somewhat given them their privacy, they had only shown up a few times and it was mostly when Adam had gone home for a while and then they followed him back to the hospital. He never made a formal statement about what was going on because he didn’t think it was anyone’s business but the rumors were floating around that Evelyn was very ill. Adam just wanted to make sure that the media wasn’t going to bombard Stacy and overwhelm her like they did the last time they were together.

“Adam! I could never ask you to do that,” Stacy was shocked that he had even suggested such a crazy idea.

“Well I know how much pressure it put on you last time and how hard it was for you to be in the public eye like that and I just don’t want to do anything or have anything happen that could jeopardize our relationship.” Adam explained.

“I know we had a lot of struggles in the past but Adam, I love you and I know that you being Maroon 5 is the most important thing in the world to you, music is your life, your career, and I would never take that away from you.” She placed a hand on his cheek, “Evelyn and I will be here no matter what, we’re a family and we support you and your career. We will get used to being in the public eye and having the media wanting to know our every move. It’ll take some getting used to but we’ll make it work.” She smiled at him.

“You’re wrong.” He said, causing Stacy to furrow her brow.

“What do you mean?” She asked.

“You said music is and Maroon 5 is the most important thing in the world to me,” He said, “You’re wrong.”

“I don’t follow,” Stacy was confused.

“Music is not my life and it’s not the most important thing in the world to me, it’s simply my career, it’s a passion of mine.” He smiled, “You and Evelyn are my life, you are the two most important people in the world to me.”

Stacy’s heart felt like it might explode from all the joy and love she was currently experiencing. “We love you too, we couldn’t live without you either.”

The couple stood in their embrace for a while longer before Adam playfully pinched Stacy’s butt, “Wanna go have a quickie?”

Stacy laughed and shoved him away, “Way to ruin the moment Romeo!”

Adam grinned and wiggled his eyebrows at her, laughing as he chased her around the island in the kitchen.

Stacy giggled, running away from him and thinking to herself that this exactly how she wants to spend the rest of her life, smiling, laughing, and loving every minute of each day of her life with her little family.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you so much to all of you that have been leaving me feedback by commenting! It pushes me to update quicker so I'd appreciate it if you could let me know what you think of this chapter! :) I love hearing from you all!