Status: Welcome to Heaven

A Little Piece of Heaven

fourteen

Home. That's what she thought of the empty apartment as her sister went on and on about how terrible Matt was.

Alex couldn't take it anymore. She wanted to be alone. She was pretty sure she had made that clear in the text message she sent Vivian when she got home. Maybe Vivian was the stubborn one. She laid down on the sofa, closing her eyes.

"Who the hell does he think he is? God? I just can't understand how he thought it'd be okay to get into a wreck, and then treat you like shit when you got there. He should've been kissing the ground you walk on because you forgave him."

"I haven't forgiven him yet. I said I'd think about it."

Vivian stared at her little sister, almost in shock that Alex was stupid enough to even be dating that idiot. He was no fit for her, and everyone knew it. Why did she keep him around?

"Why would you even consider it? Why you continue planning a wedding for a marriage that is destined to fail?"

"Destined? Vivi, look, I'm tired. I don't need your shit right now, either. I want to be
alone. Get out, go give your hand some a blow job, and shut up. Leave me alone for a little while. It's my decision anyway. Why can't you be more supportive like mom and dad?"

Vivian threw her hands in the air. "They don't like him either!"

Alex turned around, glaring at her sister. "They like him because he gives me everything I need! Matt has helped them more than your fucking husband has! I don't wanna hear another goddamn bad thing about my fiancee come of that precious little mouth of yours because the next time I do, I will break all those pretty little teeth. Get. Out." Alex pointed to the door and watched her sister silently leave the apartment. The door slammed closed, making Alex wince. She recovered though, picking herself up and walking to the bathroom. She felt the babies inside of her kick, making her hold on to her growing belly. "I'm sorry," she whispered as she entered the bathroom.

She heard the phone ringing from the bedroom. She was almost done, she hoped. Right as she finished washing her hands, the answering machine picked up. "You've reached Matt and Alex. Leave a message."

"This is Shelby from Parker-White women's clinic. I was calling to remind Alex Gomez of her sonogram tomorrow at eleven-thirty A.M."

Alex's heart fluttered. It was the sonogram she'd find out what the babies' sexes were. She hoped for a boy and a girl, but she honestly didn't have a preference as long as they were healthy. She rested against the edge of the bed as the phone next to her began ringing. She picked it up, pressing the green button. "Hello?"

"Hey," Matt's voice was on the other line.

"Hey," she said back.

"I miss you."

Alex sighed, closing her eyes. She could give in right now. But was admitting she missed him giving in? No. It was admitting her feelings for the person she loved. "I miss you, too. Guess what?"

"What?"

"I find out whether we're having a boy and a girl, or two girls, or two boys tomorrow." Alex smiled because she knew Matt would be excited. She frowned when he replied with a simple, "cool." It pulled at her heart, making her tear up. "What's wrong?"

"I just don't know if I can take you getting mad at me and then not forgiving me after I've already apologized and everything. I'm trying so hard to keep you happy, Alex. I just don't think it's working anymore."

No. This couldn't be happening. Was her
dumping her? Over the phone? "What are you saying? You wanna break up? You wanna end this?" Tears began to stream down Alex's face as she sobbed into the phone. "I told you I'd think about it."

"I know, but it just hurts to know that you don't forgive me."

"It hurts to know that you don't love me anymore."

They were both silent. Matt hadn't said that, but Alex felt that. That was the only way he'd ever break up with her is if he didn't love her anymore. They'd talked about it before when they were fighting one day. He held her close to him and told her he'd never leave unless he wasn't in love with her anymore. Alex never imagined that it'd be today.

"I didn't," Matt sighed. "I didn't say that."

"But you told me that the only way you'd break up with me is if you didn't love me anymore."

"Why wouldn't I love you?"

"Because you're breaking up with me."

"I didn't say that."

"You said you didn't know if you could take it anymore."

"Because you won't forgive me."

"Well you won't let me."

They were silent again. She was starting to question the conversation. Maybe if she had let the machine answer, this wouldn't be happening. She felt the babies kicking again. She sighed, trying to calm them down. She began to hum.

"They're kicking aren't they?" She almost forgot she was on the phone with him.

"Yeah. They kick like this when I'm upset, and they know I'm upset. They love me so much already and I love them too."

"I love them, too."

That last line didn't sound from the phone. It sounded from inside the house. She looked to the left of her, and there he was. Matt was standing in the doorway, teary eyed and watching the love of his life bawl her eyes out because she didn't want him to leave. She forgave him, and neither of them knew it until now. She dropped the phone, standing up and letting him embrace her as she sobbed.

"I'm sorry," she kept repeating, but she had nothing to be sorry about.

"Please don't cry," Matt whispered. "I'm sorry," he said. "But you should be kicking Rev in his balls because he planned this."

Alex pulled away. "He planned for you to fake break up with me?"

Matt nodded. "He wanted me to see that you'd forgive me. I didn't believe him. So he told me to do this."

Alex was angry now. "I'm already pregnant and I can't tell if my socks match and he
planned this? Where is he?"

Matt pointed to the living room. Alex pushed past him into the room where a handful of confetti was thrown around her. "Happy birthday!" The five boys surrounding her yelled. She began crying because she was confused and had no idea what was going on. She wanted to know what was happening.


Alex's eyes opened to an empty apartment. She sat up and began crying. She did forgive Matt, and she wanted more than anything for him to be there with her. She picked up the phone and dialed his number.

"Hello?" Matt's voice sounded groggy, but he had answered.

"Matt?" Alex's voice choked and she began crying again.

"Baby, what's wrong?"

"I miss you. And I'm sorry for putting you through hell. I love you, and I forgive you just please come home." She sobbed on the line.

"It's okay, baby. I love you. Get some sleep, okay? It's two-thirty there. I love you, sweetie."

"I love you, too."

"It's all gonna be okay, okay?"

"Okay," she whispered, picking herself up from the sofa and walking to her bed. She climbed on his side and laid down, resting against the pillows. She closed her eyes, and allowed herself to fall asleep. She felt better, and she was happy again.