Status: Welcome to Heaven

A Little Piece of Heaven

fifteen

Content. That's how she felt at three in the afternoon on August 17.

A small kiss was placed on the top of her forehead as she looked up at Matt. She was wearing blue scrubs, and so was he. A blue curtain was draped over her so she couldn't watch the surgery, but she could hear them talking. The epidural worked just fine because she only felt a little tugging on her lower torso.

"Baby a," her doctor said triumphantly as he held a beautiful baby girl. The baby was weighed and cleaned off. Soon she was wrapped and placed into Matt's arms. Matt felt tears come to his eyes as he looked down at his daughter.

"I'm gonna love you forever," he said, kissing her forehead and bringing her to Alex. Alex smiled.

"She's beautiful," she whispered as tears of joy streamed down her face. She watched Matt hold the baby as she felt more tugging.

"Baby b," the doctor said as he held another beautiful baby girl. She was weighed, wrapped, and brought to rest in Alex's arms.

"Hey," she whispered with a smile. Matt looks at the baby in Alex's arms.

"I'm gonna love you forever, too."

The babies were taken by the nurses into their cradles and pushed to the nursery. Alex closed her eyes resting. It had been a long day. She felt chilly, and wanted a jacket. She looked up at Matt, taking his hand. He looked down at her.

"I'm cold," she said but he didn't seem to hear her. Her eyes starting going blurry and she closed them. She heard Matt calling her name and shaking her shoulder. She heard her heart monitor going off. She couldn't figure out what was happening to her. She looked at Matt. He was getting further and further from her. He was crying, trying to get her to respond. She closed her eyes again, and opened them to a pretty light in front of her. Her body moved itself closer. Somehow, though, she could still hear Matt telling her to come back. She looked behind her to the darkness. Why would he want her in the darkness? He could see her perfectly in the light.

She continued moving to the light, faster this time though. "I'm coming," she said. She was in front of the light. When she reached out to touch it, she began falling. She fell so fast that the moment she closed her eyes and opened them, she could see Matt perfectly.

"I told you you'd see me better in the light," Alex said with a chuckle but Matt was crying.

She couldn't figure out why either. He was looking at her. Why wasn't he saying anything? She looked to the doctor.

"Time of death," the doctor started saying. "Eighteen thirty-two."