Status: Welcome to Heaven

A Little Piece of Heaven

eighteen

A million thoughts rushed through Alex's mind as she checked every bag in front of her. She had to have the girls' bags packed, Matt's bag packed, her bag packed, a diaper bag big enough to fit three elephants, and her purse. They were going home. They entered the hospital almost a family, and now they are leaving as a family. Both babies were sleeping in their car seats.

"Are you sure that's everything?" She asked Matt for what seemed the millionth time.

"Yes."

"Do you have your clothes?"

Matt pointed at his bag. He had never left her side since they were admitted in the hospital. It made Alex feel complete, as she did every day. She ran her fingers through her hair when she heard a knock on the door. Matt opened the door to a very happy Brian with his hands behind his back.

"Hello, Shadows family!"

Alex looked at him, disappointed at his weirdness being so early. "What do you want, Brian?"

"Ouch," Brian said, grabbing at his chest. "That hurt me deep, Alex."

She sighed. "Sorry, I'm just anxious. We can't leave anything because I am not coming back to this hospital. I want to go home." She looked at Matt. "You did put the cribs up in their room right?"

Matt's eyes widened; he reached into his back pocket to pull out his cell phone. He dialed Jimmy's number and put the phone to his ear. "Yeah, I need a favor. The key to the apartment is under the mat. Go in the nursery and make sure the cribs are up. And that they're made. And make sure we have food. I'm starving." Alex glared at him. "Rain check on the food." He ended the call without giving Jimmy a chance to even say anything.

"Whoa, Daddy Shadows is frazzled like a razzle." Brian leaned against the wall. He was being unusually annoying, and it bothered Alex more than usual.

"What's with calling us Shadows family or whatever?"

Brian motioned to Matt. "Um, Hello? Matt Shadows. Come one, Alex. You're smarter than this."

She glared at him. "Get out."

Brian dropped his arms, feeling defeated. "Fine. I never liked you anyway."

"Guys, stop." Matt said aloud, looking at Alex for being unreasonable.

"Nah, it's cool, man. Let me know when your lady's off her rag." Brian said as he left the room. Matt sighed, impatiently waiting for the nurse to discharge them.

Image

"I don't understand why all of a sudden you're being mean to my friends. Have you forgotten what they've done for you? They are part of this family, too. Maybe not directly, but they're still members, Alex."

She sat on the chair with the baby monitor next to her. They hadn't spoken since they got home. The only time they talked was about the girls. The rest of the day was spent in silence. She didn't want to argue, so she remained silent.

"You're gonna have to talk to me, Alex. We're parents now."

"What are you saying? I'm being immature?" She closed her eyes, sighing. Another snide remark was not her plan, but it was her response. Matt shook his head.

"What's your problem? You were just fine until Brian visited. After that, you've been in a bad mood." She decided that staying silent was going to keep the peace, so she shifted her body to look away from him.

After a few moments of silence, Matt stood up. "Alright, when you're ready to talk, I'll be in the bathroom taking a shower. Til then, stay here and reflect upon your actions." Matt walked by her, hoping scolding her would arouse a reaction from her. He looked at from the bedroom door, sighing.

"You're not my father, Matthew." He heard her yell when he was in the bathroom.

He looked in the mirror. He wasn't her father, but he was her daughters' father. She had to understand that she wasn't always right. He wasn't either, but she was being ridiculous. How could she act like she was better than Brian? And the silence? What the hell was up with that? Matt shook his head, starting the shower and undressing. He peeked into the bedroom, hoping she'd be on the bed. But she wasn't. He sighed, stepping into the shower.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the filler, but it's got some drama! Let me know what you think!