Status: Welcome to Heaven

A Little Piece of Heaven

Nineteen

"Matt?"

Alex's hands shook as she opened the bathroom door to the man who made her complete, the man who was right. She was being moody, angry. She was out of line. She looked in the mirror in front of her. She had dark circles beneath her eyes. Her hair - that needed to be washed desperately - was in a bun on her head. She was wearing his old Misfits shirt and a pair of shorts. She didn't realize that she was exhausted, but she had no idea her body would display it like this. She walked to the mirror, reaching her hand out to her reflection. She watched tears trickle down her cheeks.

"I'm horrid," she whispered, letting her hand fall to the counter. Her eyes dropped, and she turned toward the shower where Matt was rinsing shampoo out of his hair. "I look like a zombie, Matt. I'm disgusting. I'm... I'm awful." She uttered the words under her breath as she realized how horribly mean she was to Brian. She looked up to see Matt looking at her from the open shower door. He held his arms out to her. She tip toed to him, never breaking eye contact.

"You're none of those things. You're beautiful, inside and out. That's why I'm marrying you. I know you're tired, and I'm sorry for yell-"

"You have nothing to apologize for, Matt. I was so horrible to Brian, to Jimmy. They're the closest people to us and I was so mean. What's wrong with me?"

Matt was silent. He hadn't meant to make her feel horrible. He just wanted her to apologize to their friends. He held her close, letting her cry. He had no words that would comfort her, so he placed his lips to her forehead.

"Can I come in?"

Matt nodded, letting her undress herself. He watched her, in awe of how beautiful she was even if she did still have a bump from the babies. Her incision was covered with a bandage, but she was still the most beautiful girl he had ever laid eyes on. She was still that girl he fell in love with.

He held his hand out to help her in the shower. He then embraced her, promising he would never let go. He would stay. She cried into his chest, listening to his heart beat. It was soothing knowing that it was beating for not only her but for their daughters. She looked up at him, and kissed his chin.

"I love you."

"And I love you," he whispered, leaning down to meet her lips.

He helped her wash herself. He couldn't imagine his life without her, and now he couldn't imagine his life without the babies. He was a father, and a lover. He loved his women with everything he had.

"I thought it was me who rescued you from this life."

Alex, caught off guard, looked at him. "You did."

Matt shook his head, placing both hands on either side of her face. "No. You rescued me."