Status: Welcome to Heaven

A Little Piece of Heaven

Five

Excitement. That's what she felt as she looked out the window of Matt's BMW as he drove down a narrow road in the sunset.

"Are you nervous?" he asked, taking her hand in his and intertwining their fingers. She looked to him and smiled, shaking her head no.

"Not even a little," she said as she reverted her attention back to the scenery. She recognized the park facing her as Matt parked the BMW in the parking lot. He kissed the back of her hand before exiting car and telling her to sit tight. He walked around the car to her side of the car, opening the door for the petite girl sitting in the passenger seat of his car. He held out his hand.

"My lady," he said as she took his hand stepped out of the car. He had told her to wear something she would wear to their first date. He expected something pretty, but he never expected the purple strapless dress that adorned her figure. Her sparkly heels made her a couple inches taller.

She fixed her dress and brunette curls as she waited for him to close the car door. He stopped a second to take in the beautiful woman standing in front of him. "Wow," he couldn't help but say as she turned to face him. Her eyebrow furrowed as she let out a small chuckle.

"What?"

He walked toward her slowly and held her hand in his, kissing the back of it and never taking his eyes off of hers. "My beautiful Alex," he whispered as he watched the rosy color come onto her pale cheeks. She giggled and kissed his cheek.

"My handsome Matt." She intertwined their fingers and started walking toward the park. Matt smiled as he tugged lightly, halting her. She turned to face him, eyebrows furrowed together. "What?"

"We aren't having dinner here," he pointed his finger to the boat at the deck across from the parking lot. "We're having dinner there." Alex turned her attention the boat. A smile formed as she noticed the candle lights hanging from one of the sails. She noticed a tall man standing in a black suit at by the boat on the deck. She looked at Matt.

"Okay," she agreed as he waited for her to get closer to him before kissing her cheek and leading her to the tall man.

"Who is that?" She asked as they approached the man facing the water.

"Brian," Matt said as he looked down at his feet. "He offered to help with tonight, so I said okay."

Alex giggled. "Well, hello, Mr. Gates."

Brian looked at her. "Okay, Alex. You can call me Brian tonight. You don't have to be all fangirl-ish on me." Alex's smile faded as she nodded in agreement. She never thought it as fangirling. She thought is nice, formal.

"It's okay," Matt whispered in her ear when he noticed her disappointment. He placed a soft kiss on her thin lips and helped her get on the boat. He quickly grabbed her waist as she almost tripped. Brian held onto her forearm, knowing how much of a klutz she could be when it came to wearing high heels.

"I'm okay," she said as she stood firmly on the floor of the boat. She looked behind to the table. She noticed twelve pink roses in the center. They were her favorite flower, and she was almost in tears as she thought about the romance of the night that was already forming. She looked to Matt who was now standing behind her.

"I figured this would be a perfect date for our anniversary."

Alex had to think of the day. Had it really been longer than eleven months? "It's only the eleventh. We have-"

"Two more days, six hours, and twenty minutes. I know." Matt smiled as he leaned down to kiss her. She accepted the kiss with a smile. The kiss started to become intense but Brian cleared his throat.

"Shall we get this show on the sea?" Brian smiled to himself, proud of the play on words he used.

Matt and Alex ignored him, focusing themselves on each other as Matt pulled out Alex's chair for her to sit. He left her to adjust her closeness to seat himself. He reached under the table and grabbed a picnic basket. Alex's eyes widened as she smiled.

"How'd you know I wanted a picnic date?"

Matt shrugged. "Well, I've been listening to you plan one for almost twelve months now, so here's the first one." Alex felt the tears coming, but held them back. She placed her hand on Matt's and squeezed it lightly.

"Thank you, dear," she said as she watched him open the basket and retrieve the basket's belongings. He placed two plates covered in tin foil on the table, one in which Brian set in front of her. He grabbed two glasses from the basket, a bottle of Dr. Pepper, forks and knives, and a napkin for both of them. Alex watched contently as Brian poured the Dr. Pepper in both glasses and set the bottle in a bucket of ice like they did in restaurants with wine.

Alex unfolded the tin foil to reveal her favorite meal from Bennigan's, a Jack Daniels' burger with an overload of french fries. There was an extra packet of mayonnaise and ketchup for her to dip her french fries in. Alex couldn't control her hunger. She grabbed one of the french fries and devoured it whole.

Matt chuckled. "Sure, go ahead and eat. Then we'll toast."

Alex looked up at him. "Oh," she said with a mouthful of french fries. Matt laughed saying it was okay and holding his glass up to where she place hers next to it.

"Here's to tonight, tomorrow, and the rest of tomorrows for eternity. I love you." They touched their glasses together, making a clinking sound. Alex set her glass down and continued to eat. She cut her burger in half and took a bite of it. Matt began to shove french fries into his mouth and Brian found a plate for himself. He was devouring the burger and french fries. It was obvious all three of them were starved.

"How is it?" Matt said as he realized he was completely finished with his burger. Alex looked up, wiping her mouth. Her burger was halfway gone and she looked to be about full. She smiled.

"Great, thank you."

They looked over to Brian he was lying on his back at the bow of the boat. He was holding his stomach. "Best...burger...ever," he said as he let out a belch that made giggles explode from Alex. The couple looked at each other in the candle light. It was almost time.

"How was your day?" Matt said, interrupting the comfortable silence between them. Alex looked up from nibbling on a french fry.

"It was good. I watched The Breakfast Club and had a big breakfast. I took a nap, and then I waited for you to get home. I took a shower, then I went out on this perfect date with you."

Matt smiled. "I'm glad you're enjoying yourself. It was the main goal of this date, to bring you out here to have a nice night with me-"

"And me!" Brian chimed from front of the boat.

"So, I just have one question for you." Matt stood up and walked to Alex, getting down on one knee and reaching his left front pocket of his trousers. He opened the ring box and looked up to Alex. "Will you marry me?"

Tears formed in Alex's eyes, and she didn't stop them. She held out her left hand to Matt, nodding her head. "Yes, I will," she said as Matt placed the ring on her finger, grabbing either side of her face and kissing her lips with the softest kiss he could manage. Matt stood up, smiling from ear to ear.

"She said yes!" He shouted as he looked down to her. There were claps from the bay as they rode by and the fireworks set off. Alex looked around her, smiling. This was the perfect date, the perfect moment, and she got to spend it with the perfect man.