A Surreal Life

Chapter Sixteen.

He had took me in his arms and started running through the tall grass.

Once pass the initial shock, I held on tight and shivered at his contact. We approached a little table, standing right there in the middle of the field, candles in the middle and a little picnic basket set to the side.

Darren gently set me down and pulled out a chair for me to sit on. I sat, breathing hard. I was really getting nervous... It was my first date after all. What do people talk about when they don't know each other that well? What if he finds me boring?

I took a deep, soothing breath and gave myself a little pep talk instead. What have you learned from reading all those books? If it's meant to be - at least for now - everything will just go with the flow. If not, I'll be crushed but better not think about that right now.

"Are you okay?" Darren asked, concern in his eyes but a playful, happy smile dancing on his lips. That's when I realize I blanked out for a minute.

"Yeah. I'm sorry. I mean this is all just so... perfect. I mean, the only thing I have to compare it with are movies and books but it's beyond what I ever read about... It's just... it's so simple and simply perfect. Thank you." I smiled kindheartedly at him.

"It's quite simple you know." He smiled reaching for the basket. "It's only a table with sushi and the perfect girl." He looked at me dead in the eyes, serious as hell. I blushed heavily.

"Oh stop it!" I giggled a bit biting on my lip and looking down. I could get used to a little compliment but certainly not being called 'perfect'. I was far from that.

"What?" he tried to sound as innocent as possible but the amusement in his tone was obvious.

He seemed happy. And for once, I was too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The meal was great. We had sushi's and wine with a delicious cake as a desert which Darren confessed he had bought since his cooking skills were awful.

Despite my initial fear of having awkward moments, the night when smoothly. We talked about a lot of different things and I was utterly surprised of how sincerely interested he was about me and my past. Fortunately, the conversation wasn't only about me. I got him to talk about his parents and his brother. Turn out, he has a super close relationship with his family which I think is awesome since I don't particularly have that kind of relation. Don't get me wrong, I love my parents and my little brother even though he is annoying sometime - all of the time - but from what I heard, I don't have the same complicity with them as Darren does with his family which I find kind if sad for me.

We were in the middle of talking about Darren's film 'Girl Most Likely' which was coming out in a couple of days when he got a call.

"Oh damn! I'm sorry I thought I had closed it!" he checked his phone hurriedly. 'Do you mind if I take this?" he asked.

"Not at all. Take your time." I smiled at him to convince him that I didn't care.

He got up and started walking further in the tall grass. I took this opportunity to really look at him. How he was just a little bit taller than me which was perfect, how his shirt was perfectly fitted and maybe even how his jeans hung from his hips in an indescribable way.... What? Snap out Ash! He passed his hand in his hair. He always passed his hand in his curly hair when he's nervous... Why was he nervous?

That's when it happened. Right there, before my eyes, Darren fell on his knees, dropping his phone and holding his head. I didn't know what to do, I just stared at him with wide eyes. When I saw he wasn't getting back up, I unsnapped. I got up and started running towards him. I had took off my heels earlier in the evening so it made it easy.

As I got closer, I could hear him sobbing. I picked up my pace and as soon as I reached him, I dropped beside him.

"Darren? Darren what's wrong?" I was really concerned.

"I... I.... It's..."

"Shhhh take your time. Tell me what's wrong." I took him in my arms and started playing with his curls in attempt to calm him.

"It's... It's.... C-C-Cory... He..." Another round of uncontrollable sobs came over him.

"What's wrong with Cory Dare?"

"He's dead Ash! He's... Cory's dead!" he exclaimed. We could hear rage mixed in with the sadness in his tone.

He was starting to panic so I just held him closer.

We must have stayed like this for a good two hours, just sitting in the field in silence, him quietly crying while I played with his hair, because when we left, it was darkening outside.

Even after my protests, he insisted that he was fine to drive so I let him, thinking it would maybe get him thinking of something else.

Darren had filled me in on Cory when he felt strong enough between sobs. I had known him for a short while, meeting him only once but it still affected me. I had to be strong for Darren. He needed me right now.

We arrived at my house and he came to my front door to apologize.

"I'm sorry our date ended so badly. I didn't want you to see me like this." he didn't even dare to look me in the eyes.

"Hey!" I said stepping up to him. He lifted up his head. I took his hands in mine and smiled sweetly. "I'm there for you. Always. Whether we are together or apart. Whether I'm at school or watching a movie. Whether it's noon or three in the morning okay? Don't you ever forget that." I think I saw the shadow of a smile on his lips but they were on mine too soon to tell. He kissed me slowly and rested his forehead on mine when we broke apart.

"How did I end up with you in my life?" he had tears in his eyes but I couldn't tell if it was from Cory's death or from the happiness he felt being with me. I would go for the first option.

"I could ask the same. Are you sure you're okay for tonight?" I asked placing a hand on his cheek sweetly.

"Yes. Thank you. For everything. Goodnight babe." he gave me a peck on the cheek and turned around to his car.

I watched him go until he disappeared at the end of the street.
♠ ♠ ♠
I wouldn't have been comfortable not dedicating Cory a chapter in his memory. R.I.P Cory Monteith. You will always be loved and cherished. ♥