A Surreal Life

Chapter Eighteen.

The next morning, Darren was still sleeping when I woke up. I smiled at the sight of the peaceful face he had. The next few weeks are going to be rough for him and I'm going to have to be there for him. The best way for me to do so today is starting by making him breakfast. I slowly got up, making sure not to wake him but not to step on anything that was scattered on the floor the night before.

I was almost done with my favorite omelet recipe when I felt a breath on my neck and arms around my waist.

"Smells good. What are you making?"

"My famous white egg ham and cheese omelet. It's almost done, would you hand me the plate please?" I asked smiling at him.

I finished my meal and we sat down and ate.

"What are you doing today?" I asked as I was cleaning up.

"Um I don't know... I don't feel like doing much..."

"How about you go take a shower and get ready and I'll head home to get change and come back so we can spend the day together?"

"I'd like that."

I went up to him, grabbing my vest on the way, and kissed him on the cheek.

"I'll be back soon. Bye."

"Ash... Thanks."

I smiled to him before closing the door.

Once home, I took a quick shower and got dressed. I said hi to Kate who didn't ask any questions (surprisingly) and headed back.

When I got back to the house, I couldn't find Darren but I could hear faint music. I went upstairs and checked his room. He wasn't there but he had cleaned up which is a pretty good start.

I continued my way down the hall and the music came louder as I approached a door which I thought led to a stock room. I opened the door gently and found out it was far from being a stock room. It was a relatively big room that contained all sorts of guitars and amplifiers but in the middle of the room was the most beautiful piece I've ever seen. Right there, in all his might, was standing a grand piano that was being played by a lonesome man.

I approached Darren and saw that trough his quiet playing, tears where streaming down his face. The scene was heart breaking. I sat down beside him so that he would know that I was there but didn't disturb him. If he wanted to say something, he knew I was there and that I would listen.

He finished his song, stopped for a minute and then looked at me without saying a word. I smiled at him and told him it was beautiful. That's when he broke down once more. I held him for a good twenty minutes, just sitting there on the piano bench, me stroking his hair lightly while he sobbed on my shoulder.

"I'm sorry."

"Hey, don't be." I gave him a heartwarming smile and passed my hand on his cheek.

He pressed his cheek against my hand and mouthed a thank you.

"Want to go watch a movie?" I asked in attempt to change his mind.

"Can you do something for me first?" he asked with a bit of hope in his eyes.

"Anything." I smiled sweetly.

"Can you... Can you sing something for me?" he looked up at me and bit his lip.

I was a bit startled by his demand but still I obliged with pleasure. Even thought we were in a room full of instruments, I grabbed my phone since I have absolutely no idea how to use any of them. Maybe I'll ask Darren to teach me one day. I quickly found an instrumental for my song and started it.

"Oh no, did I get too close?
Oh, did I almost see what's really on the inside?
All your insecurities
All the dirty laundry
Never made me blink one time

Unconditional, unconditionally
I will love you unconditionally
There is no fear now
Let go and just be free
I will love you unconditionally

Come just as you are to me
Don't need apologies
Know that you are worthy
I'll take your bad days with your good
Walk through the storm I would
I do it all because I love you, I love you

Unconditional, unconditionally
I will love you unconditionally
There is no fear now
Let go and just be free
I will love you unconditionally

So open up your heart and just let it begin
Open up your heart and just let it begin
Open up your heart and just let it begin
Open up your heart

Acceptance is the key to be
To be truly free
Will you do the same for me?

Unconditional, unconditionally
I will love you unconditionally
And there is no fear now
Let go and just be free
'Cause I will love you unconditionally (oh yeah)
I will love you (unconditionally)
I will love you
I will love you unconditionally"

He listen to me with awe as if he would be a 3 year old that just met Santa Claus for the first time.

"For what it's worth," he said, "I love you too."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry guys for the long wait! I'll try to have the next one up soon but I can't guaranty anything since my finals are coming up real fast so! But I'll try to have another chapter done by next Sunday!