A Surreal Life

Chapter Seven.

I froze for a moment, not knowing what to do. I got up slowly and turned to face Darren, not taking the plate out of his hands.

"Darren. What are you doing here?" I guess he heard in my voice that something was wrong because his huge grin instantly fell.

"Oh I um... I stopped by to see you and Kayla let me in but she had to leave early to meet some classmates and well um she told me to make myself at home. When I heard the shower running I just thought that I would surprise you even more by making you breakfast... I guess I failed..." he finished looking at his shoes.

Of course someone would have let him in. He wouldn't break in my apartment after all. But that didn't explain what he was doing here. Okay Ash, act like a normal person would.

"No, no Darren!" I said softly.

I approached him and and took the plate out of his hand to place it on the table besides him. He still didn't move. That's it. I took a deep breath and hugged him. I knew we hugged before but he was always the one to do it so I didn't know how he would react.

"Thank you for breakfast. I'm sorry about my reaction I was just startled. I didn't expect you this morning but I have nothing against it." I finished, lifting my head and smiling.

I found a smiling Darren staring back at me. I would have stayed in this position for the rest of my life but I had to move before it became awkward.

"Well I hope you made more for yourself because it smells delicious!" I exclaimed getting out of his embrace and heading towards my plate on the table. He chuckled and made his way back in the kitchen to get his own plate.

He had only made scrambled eggs and toast but it still satisfied my hungry belly.

"So what are you doing here anyways?" I asked, my mouth still full.

He laughed at me.

"I'm sorry that wasn't very elegant." I blushed.

"Haha it's okay, you're cute when you blush." I blushed even more. "I just wanted to come and hang with my new favorite best friend! Oops, don't tell Chris I said that!"

I laughed out loud.

"Oh, so now we're best friends?!" I asked raising an eyebrow at him.

"Uh uh! Now what do you want to do today bestie?" he smiled brightly at me as I took our now empty plates back to the kitchen.

"Well I have a class later this afternoon but I guess I can spend the morning with you." I called back from the kitchen.

"Oh you better because I am NOT a morning person and since Chris woke me up this morning with a stupid phone call, I might as well make this the best morning of my life!"

I smiled. He wanted to spend the best morning of his LIFE with ME? Wow.

~~~

I spent an amazing morning with Darren. Believe it or not, I had never been to see the Statue of Liberty so he brought be all the way up in the crown. The view was amazing and we had took pretty amazing pictures, of the view, but of us also.

We ate lunch in a little restaurant in Little Italy and then it was time for us to part. I had to leave now or else I would be late for school. Darren tried and coxed me into skipping but we were getting our end of year assignment today so I couldn't miss it.

And so now I was sitting in my chair, trying to concentrate on what the teacher was saying without success. She kept blabbering on unimportant stuff and didn't get to the point until the last five minutes of class.

"Okay class, for your end of the year project, you'll choose a work, from somebody else or yourself, find the controlling idea and make - if it's yours - or remake - if it's someone else's - something destined to the public. It can be anything! Let your imagination run free!" The teacher said.

Oh this would be a good project. I knew exactly what to do.

I went directly on my Twitter account and wrote a quick message: Looking 4 male singer 4 project. Reply ASAP. Only 4 ppl I know. Thnx. :)

My day was done at school so I headed for the subway. I was so happy to be doing this project but also a bit scared. My phone vibrated, signalling I had a notification. I was a Twitter alert. I check it and almost chocked on the water I was now sipping.

"@Ashleysorus: Looking 4 male singer 4 project. Reply ASAP. Only 4 ppl I know. "
I'll do it :D

And that was the most frightening yet incredible moment of my day.

Darren wanted to be my project partner. Which involved singing. In front of him. My composition. Oh Gosh.