Status: Completed

When Fates Collide

01.

Melina ran as fast as she could with her limp. On her way back from the KillsBerry Territory, she ran into a group of Mosdan. She didn’t know which group they belonged to, but they wanted the information she acquired and were willing to risk everything to get it.

She glanced behind her; three of the men were still hot on her trail. She didn’t understand why they hadn’t pulled a gun and ended her yet. That wasn’t her biggest problem…they were gaining. Looking ahead she could see the gates to her Territory. The men should’ve already giving up. A group of Mosdan that size would never get that close to the borders of a Territory who’s Runners they were trying to kill.

She ran, limped over the bridge marking the Curo Territory. She started to slow, knowing the men wouldn’t follow. But she was wrong they were still coming. Now she was screwed. She’d giving up ground on the hopes that they would stop. She backed herself against a tree; if she was going to die she wanted to look her killer straight in the face.

Two shots vibrated through the air. Melina checked herself then looked up. Two of the men paled, shock written across their face. Blood seeped through their shirts, creating dark stains over their hearts.

The last man looked around trying to find the source of attack. Melina to was searching, trying to figure out if they were foe or friend. Her eyes went back to the last man, the look on his face made her heart drop. He knew he was a goner, but he wasn’t going out alone. He tossed his knife in the air, caught it, spun around gaining momentum and released it.

Time slowed. Melina watched as the knife hurtled towards her. A third shot echoed as the man slowly fell. The blood seemed to slow as it sprayed outwards, falling to the ground in puddles.

Melina knew she had to move but her thoughts weren’t registering, or maybe she found it fascinating, watching death at its best.

Seconds before the knife should’ve buried itself in her chest it stopped mid plunge inches from her flesh. Attached to the hilt was a gloved hand. To Melina’s horror another Mosdan was holding it.

Maybe it was the shock of surviving death, or the fact that she didn’t escape death, but more likely it was the loss of blood, whatever the reason Melina passed put.