Status: Completed

When Fates Collide

03.

Melina’s head still throbbed, not as bad as when she first woke up but the pain was still present. She rubbed her head, catching sight of her wrist. She frowned and pushed the thought away and kept walking; she hadn’t given her report yet.

Upon entering the command room, Captain Marktin was giving out assignments to the next wave of Runner’s. He dismissed them with a curt nod and “Run Fast!”

The serious Runner’s left without a backward glance at Melina, while the others looked away with pity or awe. She just kept her head held high.

“Tartus shut the door,” Marktin ordered a young Runner without looking up from his paperwork. “Styain how are you dealing?” He asked setting his work aside and leaning against his chair.

“Ready to get back to work, sir,” Melina stood at the ready hoping he would just accept her answer.

Marktin bellowed, then became quite. “I don’t like liars, Styain. Now I will ask you again, how are you dealing?”

Her shoulders slumped. “My head still throbs, my leg is constantly sore or itchy and my wrist…well I would rather just get back to work.”

“I understand. This must be hard for you but you had to do what you had to do.”

“Much help it did. I still almost died. If I would’ve just left it in…”

“You would’ve died. And the information you received would’ve been sold to the highest bidder, putting Curo at risk of takeover.” There was a pause. Melina felt she needed to explain herself more and took the opportunity to talk but was cut off. “That is enough Styain. Now go home and rest.”

Shocked she spoke before she could think, “But what about the Info? I still haven’t been debriefed.”

“Tomorrow Styain. You need more rest and my plate is rather full of enough problems for today.” He gave her a dismissive flick of his hand and went back to his paperwork.

As Melina shut the door she could her Marktin yelling over the phone. He wanted to know what was taking the newbies so long to get to his office. He was a very impatient man.