Status: Completed

When Fates Collide

05.

Melina walked out of the headquarters feeling revealed. She disobeyed Marktin’s orders but she needed to get her debriefing done or the information would become distorted. Now she would be able to relax and actually get the rest she needed.

She fiddled with her wrist wraps as she made her way down the steps. She tugged down her sleeve as a group of Curo women came around the bend. They all wore short sleeve shirts or sleeveless dresses showcasing their devices.

They suddenly became silent making Melina look up. They were looking at her like some kind of freak. In their eyes she was, she no longer had the device. Basically she was a Nocie, someone born with no time on their clock. Melina knew she shouldn’t be upset, it wasn’t like she was a giddy girl about finding the only other that she could fully love, but learning that something that was hers by nature was taken from her without a choice. It hurt.

She quickly turned around the bend not being able to stand the looks, coming face to face with the Mayor Nicholas Jameson and his son William.

“Oh Miss Styain, you’re looking better. How are you feeling?” Mayor Jameson asked sincerity. Melina nodded only to wince; her head still ached and shaking her head only made it worse.

“Sore and only slightly tired, but otherwise terrific ready to get back to work,” Melina said with a convincing smile, but not feeling it. The Mayor glanced away when some people passed by.

“Mustro! Mustro! Sorry Miss Styain I need to go. I do hope you feel better.” With a pat on the back he left in chase of Mustro. Melina turned to walk away but William was still standing there. Suddenly Melina felt pity for William; he was a Nocie.

“I know it’s hard, it will get easier.” He was trying to consoled her, make her not feel so lonely but it only made her ach with an unknown loneliness. Melina paused unsure of what to say, William continued. “My father is trying to find a way to help people like us.” She looked up to find him looking into the distant horizon. “They were able to find a solution it fix our problem in the beginning, but now they’re looking for a true cure for those of us who want love, but are deemed to never have it.” he looked back at her, his eyes unreadable.

“Thanks Mr. Jameson.”

“William, call me William. People like us need to stick together,” he whispered in her ear. His tone told her he was smiling. Then he was gone following after his father. Melina rubbed her wrist and continued on her way home.

Before her street was the Outer Building. That was where the Curo Territory received and posted their Missions and hired Mosdan, if possible. Judging by the looks of it they had hired a Mosdan group, they were milling around the front, apparently waiting for their leader.

Melina stepped closer avoiding a large group of people. More and more she was feeling like a lost little girl. She really needed to get home and rest. As she turned to go she caught sight of a Mosdan watching her. His face was covered with a black veil only revealing his grey eyes. He tilted his head in a nod of acknowledgment, but Melina didn’t know why.

She cocked her head in confusion and walked away. Half way down the street she looked back but he was gone, him and his whole crew.