‹ Prequel: Burn
Status: Hiatus

Whispers

Before I lose my sense of reason

“You look like a monkey.” The boy rolled his eyes before letting his face fall back to normal, trying not to snicker lightly. He was perched delicately on a stool, crossing his arms over his chest, arms flexing over the tank top. His glittering green eyes were absolutely sparkling in the sunlight that fell in the room, making them beautiful as always. “And don’t cross your arms. You weren’t doing that earlier.”

“You’re being bossy.”

From behind the large easel, a girl stuck her head out, her brown hair pulled up into a bun atop her head, keeping the chocolate strands from falling in her face and disturbing her. Her eyes, which were a strange sea green color that day, were glaring at the boy in front of her, who was smirking now.

“You promised you weren’t going to be a twat, Harry.”

Harry just grinned at her, knowing that he was getting on her nerves, but not in a bad way. Giving her cheeky responses and watching her brows crease when she wanted to be angry with him but couldn’t was his favorite thing to do. “And you promised you wouldn’t have me here all day, Rae.”

She made a face at him before tilting back, disappearing behind the easel. She smiled, knowing he couldn’t see it, when he dropped his arms to his side, his green eyes staring at her legs, which was the only part of her he could see clearly. Rae raised her hand, the brush touching the paper again. “Maybe if you weren’t being a cheeky little bugger today, we could have been done ages ago.”

“Maybe you just paint slowly.”

“Harry Edward Styles,” Rae said, her voice holding warning tones as she continued to finish the painting of the boy in front of him. It was for the art classes she had started taking at the University a few minutes away. They were supposed to just paint someone that meant a lot to them, and he suggested himself. Of course. “If you don’t stop talking, I’m going to stick these brushes where the sun doesn’t shine.”

“You wouldn’t dare,” he laughed. “Those brushes cost you loads.”

It was true. Rae had spent a hefty amount for nice brushes, and she wouldn’t dream of destroying them on her idiotic boyfriend. It was nice to think about though, shoving something up his arse when he was being a snarky git. He loved to tease her, and she loved to do it back.

Setting her brush down, she pushed away from her stool getting up and walking around the easel and out of the room, trying to seem angry when she really wasn’t. She was already done with the painting. Now she was just torturing him, and she knew it was working when she heard him get up quickly from the stool.

Harry’s arms wrapped around her, spinning her to face him. Worry was on his face for a moment, because the last thing that he wanted to do was really upset her. But when she let a snort escape, the sound of laughter alerted him that she was playing too. He smirked, shaking his curls.

“Cheeky,” he laughed, curling his hands in the hem of her shirt and pulling her into his chest, looking down at her. Rae looked up at him, her palms flattened out on his strong chest as she grinned up at him. “What am I going to do with you?”

“I haven’t a clue,” she answered back silkily, standing on her tip toes, knotting her hands in his shirt for balance and pressing her lips to his. He responded immediately, opening her mouth was his and deepening the kiss, making her giggle slightly before she pulled away, dancing out of his grasp. “I’m not quite sure I’m keen on kissing you after that little show in there.”

Rae trailed away from him, hopping down the steps lightly, glancing at him over her shoulder suggestively. Harry narrowed his arms before taking off at a sprint towards her, making her squeal and run down the rest of the stairs, bolting through the house as he chased her.

Both of them were laughing like crazy when he caught up to her, tackling her over the back of the couch and onto the cushions, making her yelp in surprise as they rolled onto the floor with a loud thunk. Both of them paused to make sure the other was alright before bursting out into laughter.

“Since when did you turn into a rugby player?” she joked as Harry began showering her face in kisses, making them obnoxiously loud. She tried to fight the shiver running underneath her skin, laughing as he began tickling her sides. “STOP!”

“Then don’t run from me!”

Cutting off her laughter with a kiss, Harry’s hands found themselves on the ground, holding himself above Rae as she wrapped her arms around his neck, fingers gently twining with the curls at the base of his head. The curls were the softest there, and she often tangled her fingers in them.

Breathing him in, Rae loved everything about kissing Harry. She loved the way he kissed her very slowly, like there was nothing else in the whole world that he would rather do, no place he would rather be than here taking his time, kissing her. She loved the way his teeth pulled at the bottom of her lip softly, or how he grinned into the kiss, and how his nose nuzzled hers.

The sound of the front door opening made Harry groan, breaking the kiss as he dropped his head to Rae’s collarbone. He then decided to put all his dead weight on her, making her grunt, listening to Trystan’s footsteps.

“Is anyone home?”

Rae laughed then, realized her roommate could not see her from where they lay on the floor, the couch blocking them. Trystan leaned over the back of the couch, her blonde hair swinging over her shoulder as she raised her brows at her two friends. “It isn’t what it looks like.”

“Oh?” she asked trying not to break out into a fit of giggles. It wasn’t the first time she had ever walked in on the two being incredibly moronic; though she was thankful she never walked in on them doing anything explicit. “It sort of looks like he’s trying to crush you.”

“Oh. Well then it is what it looks like.”

“I just get really affectionate,” Harry said, voice muffled by Rae’s neck. He was still squashing her, making her squeak and wiggle under him, prodding him several times. “Oh, do you want me to get up?”

“No,” she grunted, glaring at the top of his head. “I quite enjoy having the life slowly leave my body as you lay on top of me.”

“Most girls would love for me to lay on top of them.”

“Most boys would love to lay on top of me.”

Harry picked up his head, both of them challenging one another with glares, trying not to smile. Trystan looked between the two before letting out a dramatic noise of disgust, rolling her eyes and leaning away from the couch. Both of them looked at her. “You both disgust me.”

“Where is Louis?” the couple asked in unison, looking at each other with smiles as Harry placed a kiss on the tip of Rae’s nose before turning back to Trystan. “I’m sure he would love to keep you company.”

Trystan narrowed her eyes and pointed at him threateningly. Trystan and Louis were not an official couple though they clearly fancied one another, and everyone liked to poke fun about it. They could shag all night long, but when it came to feelings they both quaked. “Styles, you’re pushing my buttons.”

“Louis would love to push something else.”

Rae furrowed her brows, brushing a curl from his face. “I’m not sure that makes sense, love.”
Harry finally rolled off of Rae easily, standing and offering a hand. She took it and he pulled her to her feet, Rae brushing herself off a bit as if her already paint stained shirt had gotten dirty. Harry snickered at the gesture and she shot him a look. “It does make sense, if you really think about it.”

“I don’t want to,” Trystan quipped, spinning on her heel and walking towards the stairs. She took two at a time, flipping the pair off with a smile as she made way for her room. She could only think of comebacks with Harry for so long, so she tried to escape when she was running low. “Though you could do something thinking!”

Closing her door, the sound resounded through the house before muted music came through the door and down the steps of the large house. For a minute, Harry and Rae stood staring at one another, as if trying to have a staring contest before Rae poked him in the stomach, making him flinch.

“Come on, Harold, I’ve got a painting to finish.”

“My name isn’t Harold.” He was trailing after her anyways though, following her back upstairs to her studio. “Though it does have a princely ring to it.”

“If you liked it then you should’ve put a ring on it,” she sang, dancing up the rest of the stairs and turning to him, holding out her hand and twisting it, popping her hip up and down to her own beat, imitating the dance. “WOAH OH OH-“

“No!” he groaned, covering his face and laughing. Rae was actually not a terrible singer; she had a very delicate and soft sound. But her dancing skills outside of the clubs and beyond being able to sway and grind to music were atrocious. “Not again!”

Rae grinned at him, her smile beautiful and filled with such joy. Her smile always held joy now, never falling from her face. The past few months with Harry had been the best of her life. And she loved him dearly. It was moments like this that made the past worth it. “You have to looove me,” she teased, flipping her hair. “And can’t make fuuun of me, and have to daaaance with me.”

He walked forward, taking her hand and spinning her around before catching her at the waist, bringing her into his chest, her back pressed against his front. He held her tight and her hands came up, holding his arms in place lovingly as he pressed his lips firmly to the top of her head. “You’re right,” he admitted, smiling into her hair. “I do love you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'M SO HAPPY TO BE WRITING THIS. I CAN'T EXPLAIN TO YOU.