‹ Prequel: Burn
Status: Hiatus

Whispers

Such fragile broken things

“What?” Louis asked, frowning. He was sitting in Rae’s living room, staring at Finn and Liam who had called everyone over to sit at Rae’s house. Trystan was studiously ignoring Louis, a fact which they were all trying to courteously ignore. “You want us to go on a bloody camping trip? It’s fucking shit weather. And it’s really cold at night. I don’t know about you, but I value my balls enough not to freeze them.”

Finn rolled her eyes, running a hand through her red hair. Liam and Finn had come up with this idea for everyone to go on a camping trip together, to get in some bonding time. Rae had been extremely busy at work, and so had every one else. It seemed like everyone was burying themselves in their personal lives to ignore the fight that Harry had with Leon two weeks prior.

At least that’s what Rae was doing. Niall was busy because it was nearing Christmas and what better gift to get a spoiled pre-teen than a new apple product, Liam was busy with his job, and Louis and Trystan were working simply to avoid the fact that they may or may not be dating. Finn was mostly oblivious to everything as usual.

Harry was actually just busy. All the locals came home as Thanksgiving was only two weeks away, and everyone wanted to get in good bakery products and bread. So naturally, he was needed as an extra hand all the time, which was okay with Rae, as long as he wasn’t going around punching people’s faces in.

Next to Rae, Trystan crossed her arms and huffed. It was obvious that Trystan did not fancy the idea of being stuck in the woods when she and Louis were having prominent issues. But Rae new that was also exactly what Trystan wanted, in order to talk to Louis.

So Rae took one for the team. “I think it’s a good idea.” An audible groan went around the group. Whenever Rae said it was a good idea, it usually meant it was going to happen whether everyone wanted it to or not. She had that kind of effect on people. “I’m serious. We’ve all been working and we hardly stop other than to go to coffee before work. Louis, this is the first time I’ve seen you in roughly three weeks.”

“You don’t complain about not seeing me,” Niall commented. Rae glared. “What? You don’t.”

“That’s because you’re an absolute pain in the ass.”

“Look,” Harry interjected, looking between Niall and Rae with an annoyed glint in his green eyes. “When were you thinking of doing this? We’ve all got to call in work, set it up… this isn’t just an up on the go thing.”

“We may or may not have called in work for every one.”

A moment ago, Harry was trying to be helpful. Now he just stared at Liam, deadpan. “What?”
Liam smiled sheepishly, shrugging. He looked innocent in his jean jacket and black jeans, sitting next to Finn, who’s fiery hair was pulled out of her face. They looked professional, in a way. It was like they planned it. “We didn’t want you guys to make work an excuse. Come on, we haven’t hung out in weeks.”

“Funny,” Louis said, his tone implying that it wasn’t funny at all. “I’m pretty sure that I went on a brotherly date with Harry last night.”

Niall threw his hands up. “You fucking people don’t hang out with me anywhere.”

A colorful argument then took place among the young adults, some of them trying to protest against going, some of them trying to convince the other’s that it needed to be had. In the end, three days later, Rae was sitting in the front seat of Harry’s car, her boots against the dashboard and pulling a hood over her head because she was cold.

Behind her sat Louis, Trystan and Niall. Niall of course, was sat in the middle of Louis and Trystan like the great wall of China, keeping the Chinese and the Mongolians from warring with one another- because the entire car was busy trying not to war on Niall, who kept changing the radio station.

In front of Harry’s car was Liam’s car, carrying Finn, Liam, Zayn and Zayn’s dog. Rae didn’t even know Zayn had a dog until the proud looking black lab hoped into the car. Liam looked like he expected it, but she knew that if it had been Harry’s car, he would have had an absolute heart attack.

Three hours into the car ride, and they were only half way there. Rae leaned back into the seat, staring at Liam’s car. She had already discovered every detail there was to know about the blue Range Rover, but she still felt the need to find some sort of detail to it.

Leaning forward again, Niall stretched his hand between Rae and Harry, his searching fingers about to hit the dial when Harry smacked his hand away, lightning quick. Niall retreated back into neutral territory. “Don’t even think about it, mate,” Harry warned, glancing in the rearview at the blonde boy. “I’ve had it with your ADD.”

“Do we have to listen to hipster music?”

“Yes,” Harry and Rae answered in unison. They didn’t even blink. It was easy for anyone to answer in unison when everyone felt the same way about Niall, who was really just trying to lighten the mood. Rae did sort of feel bad that he was playing Great Wall of China. “I will give you the first burger for dinner if you don’t change the station.”

He grinned at Rae. “A woman after my own heart.”

“I’m about to be a man after your own throat.”

“Kidding, Harry.”

Three more hours later, Harry was turning off a road, following Liam. It was a normal place where people went camping, but the parking area was empty. Most people wanting to escape the cold, even though the weekend was promised for clear skies and no rain.

Getting out of the car, Rae stretched her legs, walking around the back to help pick up the coolers, grill, and various tents. Rae was not in the mood to haul of the luggage and various items down a camping trail, but she had been pushing for the trip.

So, she shut her mouth and found herself dragging a cooler behind her as well as Harry’s duffle bag along with her own. He was carrying a tent and dragging a grill with Zayn.

As they walked, Rae looked around them. The trees that surround them were tall and beautiful, spaced out evenly. The sun was out, shining yellow as it hung just past noon, lighting the way down the gravel road that Liam was marching down to the beat of his own fife.

The greenery and the smell of the woods on the outskirts of some small place were amazing, and Rae was busy taking them in to notice that her cooler got visibly heavier. Frowning, she pulled harder, until she could barely stand to pull it with one arm, turning around to see what it was stuck on.

And yet, it was stuck on nothing. It was just Louis sitting on her cooler, letting her drag him along for a free ride. She stopped walking, stomping his foot when he didn’t get up. “Oh, pardon?” he asked, raising his brows. “Do you need the cab fare now?”

“Get up.”

When it was obvious she wasn’t going to keep dragging him, Louis snarled obnoxiously, getting up and flicking her off. “Shit cabs, these days.”

When it seemed like the walking was never going to end, and when Rae was just about to shove her foot right up Louis’ ass, they came to a small clearing big enough for all of their tents and supplies. Liam told them that the small path lead to a stream just a little ways down, but no one was listening. They were all dropping their things.

Walking by, Harry slapped Rae on her bum, making her jump slightly as he raised his brows up and down. Opening up the package holding the tent, he threw out the directions over his head, not paying attention to them. Rae picked them up and watched with interest, wondering how long it would take for him to-

“Can I have those?” he asked, frowning at a piece of rod in his hand. “I have no idea what that is.”

“Are you sure, MacGyver? You look like you’re doing a pretty phenomenal job.”

“Let’s not.”

Rolling her eyes, she handed him the paper, helping him go through step by step instructions. As they worked together cohesively as a team, Niall and Zayn got into an argument about Niall not helping with the tent. And by argument, it was Zayn calmly telling Niall that he was a lazy ass, and Niall waving Zayn off before trying to help unsuccessfully.

Glancing at Finn and Liam, they were already done with their tent, which made Rae snort in annoyance as she handed Harry another piece. Louis and Trystan both were having a stare down, trying to decide who was actually going to put up their tent.

By the time Rae and Harry had successfully pitched their home for two nights, Louis and Trystan were arguing about something completely irrelevant to camping. Harry looked at Rae, making a face. “You wanted to come out here.”

“Don’t remind me.”

“What?” he asked with a smirk on his lips coming over to her and tossing and arm around her. He pulled her into his side and she wrapped her arms around his rib cage, squeezing him tight. It was things like this that reminded her how much taller he was than she. “Regretting your decision to go all Ranger Rick and come out into the woods?”

“No, actually.” Rae took in a deep breath. The air was crisp and clean, something she couldn’t get at home. It filled up her lungs, swirling and filling her up until she was filled clean oxygen. “Maybe just regretting not telling those two num nuts to solve whatever their issues are before this trip.”

“Yeah, who decided it was a good idea to stick them in a tent, where they probably won’t get sleep, will freeze, and sleep on a rock or two?”

Rae cringed. “I take zero responsibility.”

“Oh please!” Finn hollered, her rasp audible over everyone else’s. Rae looked up in surprise to see her storming away from her tent with Liam, marching down the path to the river. “Rubbish.”

Rae and Harry exchanged glances. “What have you done?”

Rae winced. “No idea.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I thought this was sort of funny.

This was updated tonight because I didn't update Saturday!! It was a bit of a messy Saturday with me because I was fighting with dad, but everything is alright and dandy now.

I've been trying to make these chapters longer and have more content, so let me know how I'm doing. I've been picking up pointers in my creative writing class, and I'm attempting to use them, though sometimes they come out a bit retarded.

Love you guys!