‹ Prequel: Burn
Status: Hiatus

Whispers

When Rome's in ruins

Two Years Earlier

“What’re you up to, mate?” Leon sat down at the table. Music pulsated throughout the club, the bass so deep that the liquid inside of their glasses vibrate with it. Leon clapped Harry on the shoulder, grinning at the boy. “Trying to pick out a girl, yeah?”

“You know me,” Harry grinned. He grabbed the bottle from the middle of the table, something expensive. It was working like a charm, for he was already slurring his words, thoughts coming slower. He poured Leon a drink. “Be my wingman tonight.”

Leon sipped from his glass. “I don’t know man, I’ve got to take care of things early tomorrow morning. Big deal, lots of danger type thing. Why do you think you have tonight off?”

“What do you mean? If it’s dangerous I want to be there.”

“Harry, you’re one of my few mates that I don’t want involved.”

“But-"

“I’m doing you a favor, brother.”

Harry rolled his eyes, grabbing his glass and knocking it back. He looked out across the room again. There were a population of drunk girls on the floor, their skin tight dresses clinging to their bodies, sliding higher and higher up their thighs as they sway their hips. “Will you at least be my wingman?”

Leon looked out at the crowd. They were sitting in VIP section, perfect for spotting what they wanted before they made the descent to the floor, retrieving girls and returning. “Yeah, I’ll be your fucking wingman.”

Cheering, Harry clapped him on the shoulder hard, laughing. Sean arrived a few minutes later, stoic and silent as usual. He gave them both a nod, sitting down and grabbing himself a drink. Sean didn’t say much, his eyes coldly looking out on the dance floor. He didn’t have to speak to make the girls like him; he was a stone cold fox.

After about thirty minutes of drinking, Harry nudged Leon. The curly-haired boy pointed out from across the dance floor, a smirk on his lips. “You see those two?” Leon followed his gaze, landing on two, long-legged brunettes. They had the curves of a fucking goddess, the pair of them. “Those two are ours.”

A smile pulled across Leon’s face. “Yes, they are.”

Together they got up. Harry took the lead, striding into the crowd, completely ignoring the hands that pulled at his jacket, that ran through his long curls. Leon brushed aside a few girls who pushed their bodies against him, his eyes only on the two girls Harry had pointed out.

Instantly Harry went to the taller girl. She had black hair that was pin straight, swinging down her back. She had tanned legs and a glittery dress that made her look like a slim, sexy, disco ball. He watched her hands wrap around Harry’s neck, leaving the friend a bit confused and put out.

Putting on a smirk, Leon approached the shorter of the two girls. Her hair was brown, wavy and soft. Her eyes were cat green- contacts, by the looks of it. Her dress was just as short, her legs absolutely to die for and her dress bringing out the contact lenses even more.

When Leon approached, she gave him a coy smile as he bowed his head, "Has anyone ever told you that you have beautiful eyes?”

She shrugged a shoulder, leaning into him. “Maybe, but no one as handsome as yourself.”

“No?” He feigned surprise, gripping her waist. Her hands ran up his stomach and around his neck. “Someone should tell you every day, baby.”

“Mmm. Dance with me.”

So they danced, their bodies pressed against one another. Songs changed, the beat picked up and sowed down, but they pressed against one another. Leon looked over the girl’s head at Harry, who looked up at him the same time. A lazy grin fell on his face as Harry raised a single hand, making a fist motion. Raising his own, Leon bumped his fist against Harry’s.

When he thought he was going to sweat all the way down to hell, Leon linked his fingers with the girl, gesturing to her friend and Harry and then inviting them back to their VIP booth. She nodded, leaning over and telling her friend. Harry’s girl beamed and placed a kiss on Harry’s cheek as they made their way towards the roped off section.

Half way there, a large man stepped in front of them. He looked right over Leon, ignoring him completely and at Harry, stabbing a finger towards the boy. “Are you touching my girl?”

Harry chuckled, not an ounce of shame in his face. “Your girl is touching me, mate.”

“You really want to fuck with me?”

“I understand I am breathtakingly handsome, but I really don’t swing that way. Nothing against your personal choice in dating, or anything.”

Without hesitation the man swung on Harry, punching him in the jaw. Leon felt anger rise inside of him so quickly that he barely had time to process that he was grabbing the guys arms, pulling them behind his back and locking him in a bear hug.

Straightening, Harry laughed gleefully, making a fist. The man struggled against Leon but he could not move in Leon’s iron grip. Harry hit the man in the stomach, laughing as the man grunted in pain, pulling back and hitting him over and over again, Leon smiling as the man got what he deserved for hitting Harry.

Within minutes security was on them, breaking it up and dragging them out of the club, the two girls lost in the see of eager onlookers. Throwing them outside, security left, slamming the door on them as the two boys stumbled on the sidewalk.

Few people’s were on the street, people hurrying by the stumbling pair. Harry was laughing loudly, clutching his stomach as he doubled over with the fit of laughter, making Leon laughed loudly too. He clapped Harry on the back, shaking his head before helping the boy stand on his feet.

“Hey man,” Leon said as his laughter died. “I’ve got some new stuff back at my place, if you want to come check it out?”

“Yeah?”

“Yeah, let’s go.”

Together they caught a cab, throwing money at the driver when they got out at Leon’s flat. It was a simple one story home, but it was large in square-footage with all the bells and whistles of technology on the inside.

In a locked room father from the door, the two of them went inside. It was decorated with lavish couches surrounded a table with a large, beautifully blown, glass hookah. There was a bar in the back with shelves and shelves of liquor. Going behind the bar, Leon ducked to the shelving hidden from view, grabbing a tightly sealed back and removing a handful, small, white capsules.

Pouring them both a glass of brandy, he walked over to sit across from Harry on the couch, passing his friend the capsule and the drink. Harry held it between his thumb and index finger, looking at it curiously.

“It’s called ‘molly’,” Leon explained, gesturing to it. He popped his own in his mouth and took a swig of brandy, swallowing it with ease. Harry followed suit without a question. “It’s this new thing their testing out. Shit is supposed to go bloody viral next year and I’ve got one of the first batches.”

“Sorted.” Harry leaned back in his chair, polishing off the glass. Leon grabbed his remote, hitting a button. From speakers all over the room, music with deep bass started playing and the lights along the ceiling changed colors, glittering. “I really wanted that leggy bird, mate.”

Leon grinned and looked at his watch. “Just a minute, here.”

Exactly a minute to when he said it, the door to the room opened. Four girls walked in, waving their fingers as they did so. Leon recognized them all, but forgot their names, even though he had texted one of them- he didn’t know which one. He spread his arms out. “Ladies.”

A petite blonde with killer lips sat on Leon’s lap. He rubbed her thigh lightly, tracing it with his fingers as another petite, dark haired girl sat on Harry’s lap. Fishing out the other pills, he handed them out to the girls. “Enjoy.”

“Ooh, what’s this?” the girl on Harry’s lap asked.

“Something that’ll make you feel good,” Harry mumbled, kissing the girl right on the mouth. She kissed him back, grabbing his face between her hands. “Mmm, I can make you feel better.”

“Show me.”

The girl got up, pulling Harry along. Harry paused and looked back at Leon, pointing at him. “You’re m’ best mate, y’know.”

“I know.”

“I ‘preciate you. Bloody hell.”

“Go get laid, Haz.”

“Same to you, brother.”

Leon smiled. “Anything for you, brother.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I apologize that this is a filler chapter. See, when I came back to Key West for break, I left my notebook with all of my outlines in my apartment. I'm VERY particular about wanting to stick to my outline because I have everything mapped out chapter by chapter, and because I don't have my outline in front of me I know that I've been straying from the outline while writing from home.

That being said, I didn't want to make you guys wait another week until I updated because that really wouldn't be fair. It isn't your fault that I forgot my outline. So basically, I decided to show you that Leon and Harry really WERE good friends back when and they would've done anything for one another. I don't know, I think it shows that Leon's crazy but he has feelings too.

When I get home, I'll have my outline and I'll pick up in present time. I promise. Things are also going to be picking up a lot and the stuff that you guys always fear the most is going to start happening. Basically- it's been WAY too easy for Harry and Rae, so that... well it's gotta go. Only trouble is interesting, as my creative writing professor tells me.

Also, a lot of people have made it vocal that they would really like if I made a Niall spinoff. I guess some how I have accidentally created a Niall that you guys really enjoy- hell, I enjoy him in this story. So I've been researching and sketching up some plot lines for a Niall spin off. A titled has been selected, a theme has been made and I have named and face-claimed a character for it.

I do want to make the statement that it is going to be NIALL'S story. Not Harry's and not Rae's. They may make an appearance or two, but it will have absolutely nothing to do with them for the most part. Niall is such an interesting character that I want to pick his brain a little bit, see how he thinks. I hope that you guys are maybe interested in that? Let me know.

I hope you've had a happy holidays and I wish you a happy new year. Much love.