Status: Who says we're wrong for opening the wrong doors

Something Almost Human

Tres

At first, after her run in with Sam, Olly was curious as to why he had let her talk as long as she had without bringing up the fact that she had been following him. It wasn't until she figured out the reason why he left. It occurred to her that he'd obviously seen this imaginary person that had been stalking him, and that had scared him away. Following this, she reached the conclusion that he may or may not have forgotten why he had followed her in the first place. And then, she decided, she didn't care. He'd talked to her. And that's all she ever wanted... right?

So she followed him some more, wearing different a skin so that he wouldn't think twice about that pretty red-head. It didn't work very well, as Sam always seemed to be staring into empty space. It made her really wonder who or what those tortured green eyes saw.

Honestly, it hadn't taken long for Olly to realize that they were hunters. She was the witness to a rather nasty fight against something that might be her brethren at the auto salvage lot, after the thing had burned the house to the ground. She was biting her nails, ready to jump in at any time if things got too out of hand, but one glance from this monster who bled black ooze and she shrank in fear. Eventually, they dropped a car on top of it and made it out of there. She was able to breathe a sigh of relief.

She then followed them all the way to Whitefish, Montana where they holed themselves up in a little cabin. All she wanted to do was bang on the door and make sure he was okay and ask what the hell that thing was. It had shaken her. Her kind and that monster were so similar, but so different. It was scary. She was used to werewolves and skinwalkers and such, but she had never heard of something that can change skins and bleeds black. The unknown was always a thing to be feared.

Fearing the wrath of hunters, however, she shifted back into the skin he had first seen her in and hung around town, waiting for him to spot her. It didn't take him long. He approached her, eyebrows furrowed with a shopping basket in hand. She pretended she was shopping until he said her name.

"Olive?" he asked. "What are you doing here?"

She'd planned this moment out since she arrived in Whitefish, choosing her words carefully. Except when she saw him now, her mouth went dry and her head filled with sand. She was forced tom improvise. She stuttered a little bit before being able to say, "I think we would be better off discussing that in private." He was about to deny her, she could tell, so she quickly added, "Or where mundane ears cannot hear." She was feeling very poetic as of late, and let it show in the words she used.

He followed her to a secluded corner of the store and she let the worry seep into her manner.

"What is it?" he asked. The way he asked, she was unsure if he saw her dis-ease or not.

"What were those things? In Sioux Falls?"

"What were what things?"

She lowered her voice. "Those things. The things that bleed black. What are they?"

Sam's eyes widened and his Adam's apple bobbed. "How do you know about the Leviathan?"

Leviathan? She'd heard the name somewhere, but she still didn't know where they were. "They were all over town. I followed you here because you killed that one." Even though she knew damn well he didn't. She watched it get out from under that car.

"Who are you?"

"I've told you--"

"No, you told me your name. Who are you? Why are you following me?"

Olly sighed and let the facade slide off. Even with no true filter, though, her words came out somewhat disjointed. "I'm follow-ing you for a lot of reasons. One is these... these leviathan things. But I'm... uhm- intrigued by you. And your condition." His eyebrows dropped. She paused, gathering her thoughts. Her voice was low and breathy as she said, "Tell me, Sam. What does your mind conjure that scares you so much?"
♠ ♠ ♠
(: Comments, feedback. Please please please. I can't ask enough.

Where I Want to Be by The Dangerous Summer