Status: Comments are much appreciated.

The Truth About Him

Two

Walking in the front door from a night out with the girls from uni, Eilidh stumbled towards the kitchen in search of food. The residence was silent; the townhouse drowning in darkness except for the beam of light shining from the girl’s phone.

When she reached the kitchen, she went straight to the fridge and pulled out the ingredients to make a sandwich. But just as she was spreading mayonnaise on both slices of bread, a rumble was heard from above her. Blowing it off as nothing, Eilidh carried on with what she was doing until a louder thump echoed through the mute home.

It wasn’t like her younger sister, Emily, to be awake at this time of night, and it wasn’t as if Eilidh had made much noise in her drunk state to wake the house up. So, with leaving her half complete sandwich on the marble counter, she went to investigate.

The 22 year old stumbled quietly up the staircase, the sound of more banging as well as someone walking around became more distinct. It wasn’t until she got to the landing that she saw the door to Emily’s room wide open and her parents’ door slightly ajar, a light glowing from underneath. She instantly knew something was wrong.

Pulling out her mobile again, she dialled 999 and asked for the police, her voice hushed. When she was transferred to the operator, she rushed out, “my name’s Eilidh Cameron, and I think someone’s broken into my house. You have to send someone over here now!”

“Ma’am, are you in the home right now?”

“Yes! Seriously, there’s something not rig-” she cut herself off when she heard a whimper coming from her parents' room. “I-I think someone’s hurt…” Eilidh whispered, fear radiating out of her mouth with every word.

“Ma’am, if you believe there to be someone in your home, you should leave.”

“I can’t leave my family! Wh-what if it’s that k-killer or something. I have to help them!” Eilidh argued, tiptoeing closer and closer to the doorway where the odd sounds were coming from.

“What’s your address? I can send someone over to inspect the situation.”

When the student informed the operator of her address, she was standing right outside the partly open door. She could smell something metallic and hear grunts and sniggers that didn’t belong to any of her family.

“Ma’am, you should leave the residence and wait for the police.”

Whether it was out of bravery or just her intoxicated state, Eilidh ignored the advice and took a deep breath before pushing the door open, exposing her worst nightmare.

Crimson coated the floor, walls, and furniture. Her mother and father lay lifelessly on their bed, their limbs amputated and their heads decapitated. They were in pieces, glazed in their own blood, but with their extremities positioned in odd ways, making them look like staged mannequins.

It was a sight that caused the young woman to instantly want to vomit, but when she found the stranger kneeling on the floor, a hacksaw in hand and her little sister under him, she felt even more horror-struck. Emily was still awake as the man severed her left arm, her legs already removed, and her head turned so that she had to watch the saw slice off her limb.

It was a gruesome sight as the blood spurted from the 16 year old’s arteries and the sound of bone being sawn echoed around the room. Eilidh didn’t realise she was crying, only the stream of tears falling from her eyes told her.

She was in complete and utter shock; her body didn’t want to move, no matter how badly she craved to turn away. It was only when she watched her sister’s teary eyes glance up at her, showing the agony she was in, that she let out a loud sob, causing the stranger to notice her presence.

When he turned to her, only his eyes and mouth were visible under his ski mask. But his eyes were dark and full of thrill. Eilidh’s heart raced as she took steps backwards, heading out the door she came in.

She was starting to gain control of her body again, and just in time, because the faceless stranger swiftly stood up and stormed after her, his bloodstained saw in tow. The girl dropped her phone and ran, screaming as she made her way back down the staircase and towards the kitchen, then did her best to barricade the door with a chair.

Reaching for the knife rack, she took hold of the cleaver with shaky hands and backed into a corner. Terrified out of her mind, Eilidh was lost and didn’t know what to do as fear overwhelmed her.

The door to the kitchen began to batter against the chair, causing her to scream and curl into herself. After a couple of kicks, the door flung open and displayed the frightening man dressed all in black with his eyes alight. He watched her for a moment, enjoying how scared she was.

The two stared at one another; his eyes full of fire, and hers full of trepidation. Their eyes didn’t shift, not until sirens could be heard not too far away. That was all it took to make the man turn and march out the way he came in; through the back door.

After a couple minutes of staring into the darkness, realisation struck, triggering screams louder than a banshee’s.


Image


Waking up shrieking, Eilidh felt tears slide down her face as her body trembled. The recurring nightmare always caused her to awaken in such a dreadful manner, no matter how many times she had to endure it. Because it was all so very real, the sounds, the smells, the sights, all of it made it worse.

It’s easy to forget about silly nightmares, but not real life events. Not when they only happened 5 months ago, and definitely not when they changed your life for the worse.

After taking a few minutes to calm down, and noticing it was only 6:12am, Eilidh hopped in shower in a hope to wash away the past. She had decided the night before that she needed to get back into a regular routine since she, unfortunately, didn’t have university to attend. So her plan for the day was to do a few laps of the pool at the gym down the road, then go job hunting.

Back in Edinburgh, before the massacre, she studied Midwifery at Napier University and had a part-time job in a campus bar. But with having her family ripped away from her in such a brutal fashion, she gave up on everything until she was advised to pack up and start afresh because it would be 'good for her'.

But no one said anything about the torturous agony of being all alone.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you like.x