The Cathedral Thief

Of Revelation, Theft and Broken Bits

Paris at night… Not exactly the place where I wanted to be, to be completely honest. During the day, it was wonderful. Brilliant. Amazing. But at night it was… well, like everything at night. It was not reassuring to be wandering there in the dark, not knowing what I was going to find, and especially not knowing where I was going. It was difficult, also, not to lose sight of Damien, as the streets were not lit and I had to stay very close to him to keep track. If he had just heard something, and if he had just turned round, he would have seen me. There was no place where I could have hidden. I was following him too closely, and I wouldn’t have the time to hide. If he just turned round, he would see me. I was scared by the darkness and by the uncertainty of where we were going – because what on earth could Damien be doing outside at such a time, there was no rational explanation to that. I was scared of all of that. I was scared of what he was going to do, of what I would witness, and then I was also scared of what I would look like if someone – let alone Damien – discovered what I was doing.

There was no excuse for what I was doing, and no matter what Damien was doing out there at night, I had no valid reason to be following him. And if he turned round and saw me and ask me why I was there, there was nothing that I could say, no answer that I could give. Because I had no reason, other than that I was too curious for my own good, probably. And that I was jealous. Jealous that Damien didn’t tell me everything, that he disappeared at night and that I wasn’t invited. Jealous because he was doing something without me, without telling me, and who could he be seeing at night that he had never mentioned. I was scared to be discovered because it would have shown too much of my feelings.

It would only have been logical, then, for me to turn round and give up. But I couldn’t do that, of course. I had already gone too far. And there was the shadow of inspector Vernoux that still hung above us. No matter what I wanted or believed, the mystery that surrounded Damien Sorel had to be solved.

Was I lucky not to have been discovered that night, was I lucky that I could follow Damien to his destination, or would it have been preferable if I had been interrupted, if I had never discovered the truth? I guess I will never know now. And I guess I’ll forever wonder…

I wasn’t interrupted, discovered or anything. I followed Damien until he reached his destination. We walked through a maze of tiny streets, and then along the Seine, him casually, as if there was nothing reprehensible in what he was doing, and me hesitant, uneasy and scared. When we reached Notre-Dame, I wondered how much further we would go. Damien passed in front of the closed entrance, and continued along the cathedral. I followed, feeling more and more doubtful about the whole enterprise.

Damien suddenly stopped, and I hardly had the time to press myself against the wall, hoping that he was not going to turn round or else I would have to explain my presence, and I still didn’t know how to. But instead of turning around, Damien got to a small door on the side of the church, slowly pushed it open, and disappeared inside.

For a moment, I thought I wasn’t able to breathe anymore. What on earth was Damien doing, sneaking inside the church like that? And, should I continue follow him, or should I run away. Vernoux’s words still echoed in my head. Damien had something to do with all those thefts happening in churches and cathedrals all over the country. That was what Vernoux was certain of. I had fiercely denied it, but it seemed harder to now that I had seen Damien sneak in the church with my own eyes. There was no reason for Damien to be there, unless Vernoux was right.

I was still debating whether or not I should follow Damien inside when he came out, holding something hidden behind his coat, something that seemed heavy.

I did not follow him as he left the church. I couldn’t move for a moment there. And there was no need anyway. I had seen all that I needed to see.
♠ ♠ ♠
No matter what, this will be finished in 4 to 5 chapters - roughly 3 to 4000 words.